Pond stocking

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
Last year I stocked hybrid bluegill and bass at the same time.
TG said I should have waited and let the bluegill get established first and he was right as all I have is bass and having to buy minnows to feed them.
I have another that I've stocked with bluegill, crappie and 5# of minnows last week.

How long before I stock bass
It's pretty good size and has some cover

I was told to stock the bass in June here, that way the bream will already have spawned once. How a thumbnail size bream in February can spawn by June IDK. The pond with all the bass is an easy fix, make a fish trap out of hardware cloth and put the bream in there. You'll have to feed them and when they get big enough that the bass can't eat them turn them loose. You can do this a couple of times during the summer. Buying minnows in an already stocked pond isn't the best option.

Cross-7":1oox2mwx said:
TG said I should have waited and let the bluegill get established first and he was right as all I have is bass and having to buy minnows to feed them.
I have another that I've stocked with bluegill, crappie and 5# of minnows last week.

When those crappie get old enough to reproduce you'll have millions of them. Bass should stay fat.

When I stock with Bass I always put several thousand minnows in with them for feed. Stocked 200 Bass early last spring and they are around a pound now. I put 4000 minnows with them. In another pond I put 200 Tilapia to try to control pond scum and I hope they made it through the winter. I was told if the water temperature drops below 45 they will die.

TexasBred":2mwpte1l said:
Cross-7":2mwpte1l said:

When those crappie get old enough to reproduce you'll have millions of them. Bass should stay fat.

Yeah, best to keep the fishing pressure on Crappie. Otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of skinny hand-sized fish.

Some people worry about fishing out a pond, when a lot of times they don't get fished enough and the fish become stunted.

greybeard":1c8aoace said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1c8aoace said:

I've got one of those under fished pond situations myself.
There are probably several of us here in CT that can help solve that problem.........

You'd be surprised how fast a channel cat will smarten up to biting a hook.

Oh, I wasn't talking about fishing........being the generous person that I am, I was gonna bring him a couple of aquatic reptiles..

Latest posts