Pond stocking

Help Support CattleToday:

450 foreman. It has since gone on to greener pastures, at 20,000 miles. Replaced it with whatever the biggest foreman is now.

Bigfoot":1k10q3et said:
JMJ Farms":1k10q3et said:
Friend of mine who is a marine biologist said that (provided you don't fish everyday) you should never put caught fish back into a farm pond. (Eat them, give them away, or toss them on the bank) population control is the key in farm ponds and normal fishing behavior should generally keep it in balance. The best pond we have is the one we regularly fish and let others fish. In some of the more unused ponds the small size of the fish tells us that they are overpopulated.

I think turtles get their fair share here. Might be that way everywhere, idk. We enjoy shooting turtles about as well as we do fishing.
Any fish caught and killed by a turtle deserves to die..

greybeard":29iu1l81 said:
Bigfoot":29iu1l81 said:
JMJ Farms":29iu1l81 said:
Friend of mine who is a marine biologist said that (provided you don't fish everyday) you should never put caught fish back into a farm pond. (Eat them, give them away, or toss them on the bank) population control is the key in farm ponds and normal fishing behavior should generally keep it in balance. The best pond we have is the one we regularly fish and let others fish. In some of the more unused ponds the small size of the fish tells us that they are overpopulated.

I think turtles get their fair share here. Might be that way everywhere, idk. We enjoy shooting turtles about as well as we do fishing.
Any fish caught and killed by a turtle deserves to die..
Snappers are actually a pretty good predator. I was slow rolling a spinner in a pond last year and thought I had snagged the bottom or a branch or something. Dragged it in and found it was a snapper about 10 inches in diameter that had the hook buried deep in it's throat. So it had to have attacked the lure as it went past.

Stocked a 100 4-6" bass, 100 hybrid bluegill and 2# of minnows
It rained early this morning and was pretty muddy so I wasn't sure I could make it down to the ponds so that's all I was willing to lose if I couldn't get them in the water
I figure I'll put some more in next time the truck comes through

Cross-7":21vuwggy said:
Stocked a 100 4-6" bass, 100 hybrid bluegill and 2# of minnows
It rained early this morning and was pretty muddy so I wasn't sure I could make it down to the ponds so that's all I was willing to lose if I couldn't get them in the water
I figure I'll put some more in next time the truck comes through

You shouldn't of put the bass in yet. Hopefully the bream will spawn before the bass eat them. Are the bream thumb nail size? I stocked the bream in February and the bass in June.

Latest posts