Pond Size

Help Support CattleToday:

Cat287B

Reaction score
I am having trouble withthe search thingey, hope this isn't a re-post.
I am working on a large ranch expansion building 50 acre pastures. What would be the best size pond for this size pasture?
Is one pond per 50 acres OK?
I have done 3 so far @ 21/2 acres. Dug as deep as possible due to need of fill, up to 25'deep. Water table is very high all ponds are full, don't think they'll ever go dry. All slopes are 8:1 for 80' then 2:1 slope to the bottom.
Ranch is in Central Ms.
Thanks,
Pete

I pond per 50 acres is more than adequete also the ponds don't need to be near that big
if you have lenty of water a pond 8-10ft deep and approx a 1/2 acre is plenty large enough

also if you will increse the slope at the water line to 2-1 or 3-1 the cattle are less likely to stand in the pond

Angus Cowman":3eo2sbdn said:
I pond per 50 acres is more than adequete also the ponds don't need to be near that big
if you have lenty of water a pond 8-10ft deep and approx a 1/2 acre is plenty large enough

also if you will increse the slope at the water line to 2-1 or 3-1 the cattle are less likely to stand in the pond
I need to make the pond that big so I have fill to build the pasture and provide drainage.
The ponds on the existing pastures had 3:1 slopes and they have eroded making them a steep drop off.
My thoughts on 8:1 slopes was minimum erosion easy in and out, no high banks to hinder exiting pond.
Pete

It's not always cheaper or better to pipe water in. I will never build another pond without putting in a pipe for a water fountain, however. They work great.

Douglas":3qp44yxm said:
I guess you have decided against the cheaper and better alternative of piping water to your pastures.
I would have loved to have just run some out there and be done, but. Had to clear all the stumps and trees, cut drainage ditches build driveways and alley ways and fill in low areas. This area was all heavy timber and had been clear cut about 7 years ago. I'll figure out how to post some pics and it may make more sense.
Pete

Cat287B":2lt6gjyx said:
Angus Cowman":2lt6gjyx said:

I need to make the pond that big so I have fill to build the pasture and provide drainage.
The ponds on the existing pastures had 3:1 slopes and they have eroded making them a steep drop off.
My thoughts on 8:1 slopes was minimum erosion easy in and out, no high banks to hinder exiting pond.
Pete
I should make myself more clear I use a 6 or 8 to 1 above water line and about a ft below water line I change it to a 3 to 1 so the cows don't have the tendency to wade out in and stand in the pond as much that helps with the erosion problem

I forgot to mention I was a total newbie to cattle.Whats wrong with the cows hanging out in the pond on a hot day?
Pete

Cat287B":2dkcumu6 said:
I forgot to mention I was a total newbie to cattle.Whats wrong with the cows hanging out in the pond on a hot day?
Pete
Bacteria, disease, hot water, cows destroy banks, lose grazing land, ruin fish beds, and muddy and nasty water to streams downhill, etc.
Most people would not water their dogs out of a pond. I have three ponds and the cows have nearly destroyed the dams. I have a soil and water conservation grant now to drill a well and provide drinkers while fencing off the ponds. The ponds were built for crops but are worthless for cattle.edit: in my situation, yours could be different of course.

1 pool to 50acs is enough water for that pasture.as to the size 1/2 to 3/4 ac pool is big enough.as to cows getting in pools to cool off.ours have access to wade in all of our pools.

Latest posts