Pond Algae?

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
I've noticed for week or so that one of my ponds has this redish rust colored stuff on it. Any ideas? I hadn't worried to much because it gets nasty looking especially with lack of rain we've had for last couple months. But is there anything to worry about with cows in it? I shut them out of of that field, even though I need the pasture. Calves will be weaned next sunday and after 10days generally get turned into that pasture

Attachments

• 20210926_173502.jpg
    20210926_173502.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210926_173507.jpg
    20210926_173507.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
I've noticed for week or so that one of my ponds has this redish rust colored stuff on it. Any ideas? I hadn't worried to much because it gets nasty looking especially with lack of rain we've had for last couple months. But is there anything to worry about with cows in it? I shut them out of of that field, even though I need the pasture. Calves will be weaned next sunday and after 10days generally get turned into that pasture
I'm not sure but I think that is algae blooming

I agree with Kenny. Did you fertilize that field earlier in the year? Nitrate runoff will encourage the bloom.
It can kill the fish if it makes the oxygen content get too low in the pond.
I fertilized back late April
More than you probably care to know about all thing algae but this explains your situation... I think
I think that does explain it. Theres a pic in that that shows red algae bloom. I go by the FSA office tommorrow so I will confirm with them but inthink your correct

Far NE Oklahoma. Miami, OK to be exact. No fish dead that i see
I went to a farm auction in Miami a few years back. Ended up buying a truck with a bale bed and feeder on it. Seemed like a nice place but they were in a pretty bad drought. They auctioned off about 100 pretty good 4x5.5 bermuda bales for $80-85 a roll.

I went to a farm auction in Miami a few years back. Ended up buying a truck with a bale bed and feeder on it. Seemed like a nice place but they were in a pretty bad drought. They auctioned off about 100 pretty good 4x5.5 bermuda bales for $80-85 a roll.
I think I was at that auction about 2-3yrs ago it was a friend my family's auction. hay got to stupid prices that year and it sold for 87.50/bale, if it was same auction. Clapp was the family if that rings a bell?

I think I was at that auction about 2-3yrs ago it was a friend my family's auction. hay got to stupid prices that year and it sold for 87.50/bale, if it was same auction. Clapp was the family if that rings a bell?
Yes I think that was it. I think it was the auctioneers parents farm and one of the auctioneers brothers was there helping out and buying a few things. After seeing that hay go so high I got back home and called a neighbor that grows some super nice hay. He was at $70 a roll delivered so I bought a couple hundred. The truck I bought was trashed but I put the bale bed on another truck and have fed a bunch of bales with it, probably do 95% of my feeding with that bed and feeder.

Latest posts