Pond algae

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry":17re5jn1 said:
Texasmark":17re5jn1 said:
Lots of cures for pond problems.....dig deep to pay for them. I know. I spent around $1600 for 2 ea 25# buckets of Coon Tail Moss and other baddies pelletized remedy.....geez, I still can't believe I did that....must have been really desperate. One cure is keep field fertilizers out of the water. Wink! Now let's have super pastures and implement that one. Daaaaaaa. I started using "Blue Bayou" dye this year. Super stuff, easily obtainable, and price is affordable.

One thing to remember this time of year, for those of us in a drought, is that the pond levels are low and things look much worse than they really are. I'm down over 2'. Things not looking good for fish survival this year.

Other thing is I have killed, in several years, over 150 bass, some "Hogs" (I counted and smelled them) and 5+# Channel cats trying to control my pond weeds. Not over that yet.

Good luck.
Can I fish in your pond?

Years ago wife was doing community work at the local town. Was a member of the Garden Club. One day she decides to take a picture of my catfish (at the time half a dozen, around 5-6#), eating their floating food and post it on the local community gossip column. I don't need to tell you what happened as a result of that.

Texasmark":k8b0wqqi said:
Years ago wife was doing community work at the local town. Was a member of the Garden Club. One day she decides to take a picture of my catfish (at the time half a dozen, around 5-6#), eating their floating food and post it on the local community gossip column. I don't need to tell you what happened as a result of that.

At one time my brother would fish Monticello and bring back the large channels and release them into our tank. We had a ton of minnows and perch for food and he would also feed them. After a few years we watched them grow into some really nice fish and he allowed a friend of his in just for catch and release. That one guy told some people about the fish and it just blew up from there. Big fish stories get out really quick.

I quit trying to raise catfish as I have Florida strain Largemouth Bass and they love baby cats. Somehow, after 40 years, and I'm at the top of a hill so they didn't come from up stream, I got invaded by mud bugs.....mud cats. Just has to be something to the thing about coming in on Heron's feet. They were hot for a couple of years and today I think one's left, of 10-12". Not something you would put on your plate so I guess Bass, Herons and Turtles got them.

Even when I thought the Bass were gone, I've noticed a couple still around at 12-14" and no telling how many fry are still around coming on up. Only thing to do, if wanting cats is "drain the swamp" and restock with cats only with a feeding program.

True Grit Farms":3ky1ouwp said:
sstterry":3ky1ouwp said:
JMJ Farms":3ky1ouwp said:
I suspect a lot of this crap we use may increase our risk of cancers.

My father who taught Physics, Chemistry, Shop, and Agriculture over his career repeatedly told me he was surprised that my sister and I did not have birth defects because of all of the chemicals he handled over the years, not knowing the dangers. Also, I can remember having access to the school Chemistry Lab when I was very small and him getting out a bottle of mercury and telling us to put in in our hands to shine dimes with it! God only knows how I have lived this long!
You and your sister are living proof that the left is looney. Scare tactics work on the weak and meek, excellent money grab.
No dad is looney....he and sis are lucky as he//. Lotta folks have died from mercury poisoning.

slick4591":3plyypz1 said:
Texasmark":3plyypz1 said:

At one time my brother would fish Monticello and bring back the large channels and release them into our tank. We had a ton of minnows and perch for food and he would also feed them. After a few years we watched them grow into some really nice fish and he allowed a friend of his in just for catch and release. That one guy told some people about the fish and it just blew up from there. Big fish stories get out really quick.

I only fished Monticello a couple of times. Funny, the second time I was checked by the local Game Warden. Only been checked 5 times in my entire life, twice by the same warden working Tawakoni, both times hunting. I just wanted to see what Monticello was like and drove over there.

I almost bought property in Emory before I found out the Lignite folks had an easement on the place and I didn't want to live every day wondering when the pendulum would drop. Wanted to get close to Fork. Glad it didn't work out. I bought this place instead and not sorry...been 40 years.

Texasmark":1qfwma9s said:
I quit trying to raise catfish as I have Florida strain Largemouth Bass and they love baby cats. Somehow, after 40 years, and I'm at the top of a hill so they didn't come from up stream, I got invaded by mud bugs.....mud cats. Just has to be something to the thing about coming in on Heron's feet. They were hot for a couple of years and today I think one's left, of 10-12". Not something you would put on your plate so I guess Bass, Herons and Turtles got them.

Even when I thought the Bass were gone, I've noticed a couple still around at 12-14" and no telling how many fry are still around coming on up. Only thing to do, if wanting cats is "drain the swamp" and restock with cats only with a feeding program.

If you have any cover in there at all, you'll never get rid of all the bass.
You can trotline most of the mud cats out but you have to stay with it..or invite the local scout troop to come out and camp and keep the mudcats on stringers till you getthere to 'dispose of them.