poly hay rings

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
i was getting some feed yesterday so i decided to price poly hay rings.an they was $235ea.i was in shock because i figured they would want $300ea.sq tubing hay rings are $100ea or more.so if i can im thinking of slowly changing over to the poly hay rings.

bigbull338":mucy3s9m said:
i was getting some feed yesterday so i decided to price poly hay rings.an they was $235ea.i was in shock because i figured they would want $300ea.sq tubing hay rings are $100ea or more.so if i can im thinking of slowly changing over to the poly hay rings.

I'm just wondering how much abuse those poly rings can take though. Will they get brittle with age and heat? I have a tendency to move mine around with the bale spear. Not sure if the poly ones could take it.

i seen them in use 3yrs ago.an the guy that had them said they was the only hay rings his cows wont tear up.an said they should last 15 or 20yrs.we move the rings with the tractor as well.an sometimes dump the bale in with the loader.

Mine has made 2 years. No sign of weakness yet. Didn't use it all that much last year. Paid $245 for it.

I've been tempted to give them a try but haven't turned loose of the money yet. When I was dropping off a load of cows at the sale barn on Sunday, I noticed they had a couple of them in the larger pens. It'll be interesting to see how the poly rings hold up in that environment.

We have used the poly rings for about ten years. The only problem we have had is the bolts come loose every so often. They get worked over pretty good in the bull pasture; but they are still there. I wish we had something like that for the large square bales.

I bought 4 last year and used over the winter, so far so good. You guys mean there is another way to move rings than with the front spear?

My experience with the poly hay rings they will definitely outlast any metal ring, however, the cattle seem to waste ALOT more hay when being fed from them.

bandit80":1t9avml1 said:
My experience with the poly hay rings they will definitely outlast any metal ring, however, the cattle seem to waste ALOT more hay when being fed from them.

You know, that is my impression also, but I can't figure a logical reason why.

Bonsman":1mm4joxb said:
We have used the poly rings for about ten years. The only problem we have had is the bolts come loose every so often. They get worked over pretty good in the bull pasture; but they are still there. I wish we had something like that for the large square bales.

Blue loctite will solve this!

thanks for the input.i think im going to try to buy 1 or 2 this fall.an use them next winter.

Latest posts