Poly electric fence wire roller

Help Support CattleToday:

TREY-L

Reaction score
This may have been given before, and if so, just ignore it.

I was looking at the commercially available electric fence wire rollers and they are a bit pricey. I went to our local Lowes Hardware and picked up a couple of the plastic spools which are used to roll up extension cords. They worked like a charm for managing my poly electric fence wire, and they are cheap. You are able to roll up the wire just as fast as you would be able to with the expensive model.
This is what mine looks like.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=71677-000001373-KW-130&lpage=none

Trey_ Have you ever used one of those for 18 gauge steel electric fence wire? I would assume it might work I wished I had tried one on Thursday I had to roll up temp corn field fence then. Thanks for info I may try it in the future.

Jalopy":1jtsp5ad said:
Trey_ Have you ever used one of those for 18 gauge steel electric fence wire? I would assume it might work I wished I had tried one on Thursday I had to roll up temp corn field fence then. Thanks for info I may try it in the future.

Jalopy, No, I haven't ever used one on steel wire, but I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you could keep some tension on the end of it, so as to roll it up tight and tie the end up good, then it wouldn't want to backlash on you. I have considered using it on some of my aluminum wire. I think it would work good on that, as it doesn't have the "memory" that the steel wire does. Let me know how it works if you happen to try it on the steel wire.

Trey

I have a plastic water hose reel, the kind on wheels that hold about 150-200 feet of hose. The hose connector broke off.
I use it to roll up my poly tape, it works great and holds alot of tape.

TREY-L":1uiu5h4y said:
Jalopy":1uiu5h4y said:

Jalopy, No, I haven't ever used one on steel wire, but I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you could keep some tension on the end of it, so as to roll it up tight and tie the end up good, then it wouldn't want to backlash on you. I have considered using it on some of my aluminum wire. I think it would work good on that, as it doesn't have the "memory" that the steel wire does. Let me know how it works if you happen to try it on the steel wire.

Trey

I have used these reels for both poly and steel wire. They get pretty heavy when you get quite a bit of steel wire on it. I don't use them for steel any more.

The problem with these reels is they are not made from UV stabilized plastic so they get brittle and break easily after being in the sunlight. They work well for short runs of temporary fence that are not moved very often. For portable fence that is moved every few days, I feel the geared reels are well worth the additional cost.

I bought one of those hand rollers for the poly wire and added a second tap on the end of it and use my cordless drill to wind up poly wire. I have never tried it on wire but I think it would work. I put out a couple of miles of electric fence in the winter on flood ground so a permeate fence just will not last. I have an Allis Chalmers D17 with a "belt drive" on the side. I took the pulley off and made a square shaft pulley. I take 2 dick blades and weld them together with a spacer between and put it on the shalf and can roll wire like a mad man.

Latest posts