polled vs. horned

Help Support CattleToday:

NamVet_Farmer44":2vac4xht said:
Caustic Burno":2vac4xht said:
NamVet_Farmer44":2vac4xht said:
Caustic Burno":2vac4xht said:
There have been natural occuring polled since the begining of time and polled is the dominate gene. The real question is why would anyone want to raise horns to get knocked at the salebarn. They are good for nothing except injuries in the pen or fights in the pasture. Don't lay that crock of crap out about protection from varmits.

I've been raising horned herefords all my life, and they have always brought the same price or higher than the other folks around here with polled herefords, never had many injuries in the pens, and what does horns have to do with them having fights in the pasture? My horned herefords don't seem to fight nearly as much as my chiangus, never had any of my herefords seriously injured from the horns during a fight anyways...Can't say for sure if there is any advantages in the horned herefords bloodlines compared to the polled herefords, but the horns don't seem to affect my income any at the sales, so why change when it aint hurting nothing? If I do start getting knocked at the sales, then i'll consider polled herfs, but until then, i'll keep on raising them horned

Well I guess if you only have a few cows you can keep them seperated or you keep them so fat out of a sack. Anyone that has ran cows for anytime that hasn't have one hurt fighting in the pasture doesn't have many cows. I have seen puncuntured gut to eyeballs gouged out. Horned cattle bring less at the salebarn just fact just like hauling a full blood brammer in the barn.

Yeah well I know how it is around here, and I know my horned cattle dont bring any less than the rest of the polled cattle around here...punctured guts and eyeballs gouged out huh? Happens more from accidents than it does in real full blown fights, doesn't happen all that much though...Don't know what all happens in your "rough and wild" little world you got inside of your head but ask anyone with horned herfs, they don't seem to hurt each other as much as some think, they aint out in the wild, they aint got to fight for their right to mate, and one good shove from the older bulls usually puts the younguns in their place...fact is, our herf bulls just don't seem to fight a lot, they got their pecking order and they seem to follow it most of the time without any problems, and when they do have a problem, it's usually just a whole lot of bellarin' and a little bit of pushin'

Your ignorance shows through with each post, I guess your bulls don't fight either. Or do you just have one? I guess you don't have different pastures of cattle apparently you have never mixed two herds at penning time.

Latest posts