Polled Herfs- the next superstar?

Help Support CattleToday:

LFF":2yj633oo said:
I don't think the next great one is here yet.

The Hereford breed is currently undergoing a transformation stage. My thoughs are the next great bull will have a 5.5-6 frame, and mature weight slightly over 2000 pounds. He will have a milk epd around 25 , weaning epd near 55 , yearling epd close to 80 , and very good carcass values that compair to the best Angus bulls.

The bull will most likely have strong influence from 774 , 745 , 3008 , and a horn bull not currently being widely used.

The 745 daughter that I have is milking fine , her calf is doing well and I have no complaint about her ability to raise a nice calf.

As for EF Frank's daughters ability I think that there will be some breed changing offspring produced, I also believe that you are going to have some that will be less desirable. I've seen some that I would not consider for replacements and I've seen some that are very nice. I will try to post a picture of the 745 daughters calf and some of Franks calves soon.

LFF,

How you been, yep post some pics i always like to see how the other half is living.

I agree with your asessment of the next herehord bull.
Your milk is alittle high 20-22 would be still alittle on the high side for most low forage ranchers and WW of high 40's with a yw of mid to high 70's
You go more than that and I think your frame will creep up.
Overall a good plan.

Alwasy great to hear from you.
keep up the posting.

MD

KNERSIE":3crnp0ls said:
CPL":3crnp0ls said:
From the few people I've talked to, they like frank. I've seen one of his daughters and she was really nice. (heifer- dry) They also planned to keep using him.

THG- There is no perfect bull, mating have to have alot of planning- that's why they call it SELECTIVE breeding.

I agree, phenotypically Frank seems to one of the more versatile bulls. I am also looking into using him.
Is there semen on him in South Africa Knersie?

THG

THG":3dpra6ea said:
purecountry":3dpra6ea said:
I think Alan's comment at the beginning of the thread was bang-on - "There are too many different camps....". Personally, I like anything that resembles a grass animal's phenotype. I put very little faith in EPD's. I like a frame 4 as a maximum, 2200lbs or therebouts as a mature weight, and built like a tank. Kit Pharo's bull "Republic" comes to mind, but I've only seen pictures. As I said, that's me coming from a grass-based perspective.

If you compare apples to apples, it's still tough to say which is the more influential sire, until years down the road. I did look up some of the bulls you guys have mentioned and most were very impressive phenotypically. What was that bull from New Zealand that was real deep-bodied someone had posted apic of some months back? He had a funny name that started with "A".
He was from the Kairuru Program in New Zealand and his name is Kairuru Abreeden and he is owned by Ned and Jan Ward, WY, Harive Ranching, Canada, MuCurry Cattle, and I think Lloyd Brown from Wyoming.

THG

THG, I found him in a Genex book. It wasn't New Zealand, it was Argentina that he's supposedly "taken by storm". His name is Anhinga Vic K16, owned by Bent Tree, Jackie Perkins, and Running M Ranch. Best looking Hereford in the Genex book IMO, and one of the better ones I've seen anywhere, although I haven't seen a great deal, admittedly.

purecountry":21ka440e said:
THG":21ka440e said:
purecountry":21ka440e said:
I think Alan's comment at the beginning of the thread was bang-on - "There are too many different camps....". Personally, I like anything that resembles a grass animal's phenotype. I put very little faith in EPD's. I like a frame 4 as a maximum, 2200lbs or therebouts as a mature weight, and built like a tank. Kit Pharo's bull "Republic" comes to mind, but I've only seen pictures. As I said, that's me coming from a grass-based perspective.

If you compare apples to apples, it's still tough to say which is the more influential sire, until years down the road. I did look up some of the bulls you guys have mentioned and most were very impressive phenotypically. What was that bull from New Zealand that was real deep-bodied someone had posted apic of some months back? He had a funny name that started with "A".
He was from the Kairuru Program in New Zealand and his name is Kairuru Abreeden and he is owned by Ned and Jan Ward, WY, Harive Ranching, Canada, MuCurry Cattle, and I think Lloyd Brown from Wyoming.

THG

THG, I found him in a Genex book. It wasn't New Zealand, it was Argentina that he's supposedly "taken by storm". His name is Anhinga Vic K16, owned by Bent Tree, Jackie Perkins, and Running M Ranch. Best looking Hereford in the Genex book IMO, and one of the better ones I've seen anywhere, although I haven't seen a great deal, admittedly.
Well, there is a big time bull from New Zealand that is named Kairuru Abreeden that is owned by NJW, Harvie, McMurry, and Brown, and he is from New Zealand. I just thought that was the bull you were referring too.

THG

DOC HARRIS":1okr1vfs said:
. . . . .WHAT???? . . . . ."calves well the straved" :roll: :shock: We are "Off to the races!". . . . AGAIN!

DOC HARRIS
Very cute DOC. I find it very funny, but we are off to the races again!!!!!!!!

THG

LFF":7cmynvhz said:

The Hereford breed is currently undergoing a transformation stage. My thoughs are the next great bull will have a 5.5-6 frame, and mature weight slightly over 2000 pounds. He will have a milk epd around 25 , weaning epd near 55 , yearling epd close to 80 , and very good carcass values that compair to the best Angus bulls.

The bull will most likely have strong influence from 774 , 745 , 3008 , and a horn bull not currently being widely used.

The 745 daughter that I have is milking fine , her calf is doing well and I have no complaint about her ability to raise a nice calf.

As for EF Frank's daughters ability I think that there will be some breed changing offspring produced, I also believe that you are going to have some that will be less desirable. I've seen some that I would not consider for replacements and I've seen some that are very nice. I will try to post a picture of the 745 daughters calf and some of Franks calves soon.

Very interesting LFF! Why do you write about a horned bull and which would be the top five horned bulls you think would be in the running? Also, with the 774 bull, do you think the FF Trident 315 ancestor presents negative credibility issues to light?

HerefordSire":1m3pkr35 said:
LFF":1m3pkr35 said:

Very interesting LFF! Why do you write about a horned bull and which would be the top five horned bulls you think would be in the running? Also, with the 774 bull, do you think the FF Trident 315 ancestor presents negative credibility issues to light?
All I have to say is, look out for Trident 315.

THG

THG":zxzaau05 said:
KNERSIE":zxzaau05 said:
CPL":zxzaau05 said:
From the few people I've talked to, they like frank. I've seen one of his daughters and she was really nice. (heifer- dry) They also planned to keep using him.

THG- There is no perfect bull, mating have to have alot of planning- that's why they call it SELECTIVE breeding.

I agree, phenotypically Frank seems to one of the more versatile bulls. I am also looking into using him.
Is there semen on him in South Africa Knersie?

THG

I honestly have no idea, not as far as I am aware of. They won't make it that easy for me :lol:

THG":pvlaksc8 said:
HerefordSire":pvlaksc8 said:
LFF":pvlaksc8 said:

THG

enlighten me also about Trident 315, please

purecountry":1y208t5l said:
THG":1y208t5l said:
purecountry":1y208t5l said:

THG

I agree he is a very good bull. He has been used widely over here with good success, my only complaint would be the eye quality is very inconsistant and varies from very good to totally unacceptable for our conditions

I agree he is a very good bull. He has been used widely over here with good success, my only complaint would be the eye quality is very inconsistant and varies from very good to totally unacceptable for our conditions

I would have thought eye quality would have been more inheritable than the following text:

"Herefords in cooperation with Dr. Kainer, Department of Anatomy. The herd incidence rates were 35.7% for all lesions and 1.7% for cancerous lesions. The average age of cows with cancer eye was 7.3 years. There was a highly significant difference among lines of sire for both the incidence and numbers of tumors.

The amount and distribution of ocular pigmentation
in Hereford cattle was also studied. A genetic influence was
indicated with large differences between lines of sire and
dam's lines of sire. Heritability estimates for pigmentation for
eyelid, skin and lacrimal lake were moderate to high, ranging
from 20% to 60%."

http://oldfort.fortlewis.edu/inbreedi.htm

KNERSIE":3s61r4dd said:
THG":3s61r4dd said:
HerefordSire":3s61r4dd said:
LFF":3s61r4dd said:

THG

enlighten me also about Trident 315, please
I have heard two stories, which I don't know are true, but what I have been told about 315 is, he has a little simmental in his genetics. I have also heard that he carries the Diluter gene.

THG

Herefords.US":3ud5zy5e said:
Looking at the progeny in the fall catalogs and ads, I'm impressed with how the Reload bull is producing. Linebred Keynote too!

George
I agree, but still I am not using him.

THG

KNERSIE":lp14prg9 said:
purecountry":lp14prg9 said:
THG":lp14prg9 said:
purecountry":lp14prg9 said:

THG

What do you mean exactly by 'eye quality'? I've seen the term used in this thread before, and being a non-Hereford man for the most part, what do you want as an ideal eye? Is it the shape of the eye, the lids?

THG - don't get your dander up, I didn't mean to scoff at you for suggesting the wrong bull, it was me who had his facts crooked.

And Brandonm2, sorry to not give you the credit for that comment at the start of the thread, and thanks Alan for correcting me. ;-)

purecountry":93imgtsk said:
KNERSIE":93imgtsk said:
THG":93imgtsk said:

THG

What do you mean exactly by 'eye quality'? I've seen the term used in this thread before, and being a non-Hereford man for the most part, what do you want as an ideal eye? Is it the shape of the eye, the lids?

THG - don't get your dander up, I didn't mean to scoff at you for suggesting the wrong bull, it was me who had his facts crooked.

And Brandonm2, sorry to not give you the credit for that comment at the start of the thread, and thanks Alan for correcting me. ;-)
Oh I know Purecountry, that is practically fine.

THG

Latest posts