polled herfords qualitys

Help Support CattleToday:

Gentle , easy to work , tend to stay in fence instead of tearing it down , and normaly are good feed converters. They can be excellent at marbling , however you need to know which pedgrees are and are not. As with any breed there are many different degrees of quality that can be located. What ever breed you buy try to get as much factual information as possible , for example actual ribeye area and IMF data. Do not go soley upon looks but don't ignore them either , the same applies to EPD's. The profit indexes can be a big help in locating the type Herefords that you may be interested in. For example if your interested in bulls for british based cow , look at the BM$ index. Go to the Hereford Association website and read some about the indexes and use the search page that they provide. I think that will help in your bull selection.

they are good easy going bulls.if you get them from a breeder that has gentle cows.

It really depends on who bred them, but traditionally you'll get easy keeping middle of the road cattle with excellent disposition.

On the bad side, you'll find more poor eyeset in polled herefords than in horned herefords. Whichever breed you decide on you need to buy quality and educate yourself on what you want and need and find a breeer that will work with you.

Proverbs 12:10":2lsk60xy said:
While we are talking about it, are most of the polled hereford bulls out there homozygous or heterozygous?

Yes.

Proverbs 12:10":390qo9af said:
While we are talking about it, are most of the polled hereford bulls out there homozygous or heterozygous?

When you really want a bull to be homozygous, he'll probably be heterozygous.

Murphy's law also dictates that your best bullcalf will be scurred. Apart from seeing the calves and doing the DNA work you can look at the pedigree and if you don't see any horned animals in the last 5 generations the bull is very likely homozygous, but you'll never really know untill he is either proven or DNA tested.

KNERSIE":3e3hvqw7 said:
Proverbs 12:10":3e3hvqw7 said:

Murphy's law also dictates that your best bullcalf will be scurred.

If you think about this one for a minute, there might be another reason [not Murphy's law] the best bull calf always scurred. It may be a scurred bull geneticly the better bull. Here's a couple of scurred bulls you might know, CS Boomer 29F, Wrangler 19D, H 8E Embracer 8006, OR Dom 549 F243, and althougth he's not listed as having scurs, I do believe Remitall Keynote 20X was also a scurred bull.

rocket2222":170gkxfp said:
KNERSIE":170gkxfp said:
Proverbs 12:10":170gkxfp said:

If you think about this one for a minute, there might be another reason [not Murphy's law] the best bull calf always scurred. It may be a scurred bull geneticly the better bull. Here's a couple of scurred bulls you might know, CS Boomer 29F, Wrangler 19D, H 8E Embracer 8006, OR Dom 549 F243, and althougth he's not listed as having scurs, I do believe Remitall Keynote 20X was also a scurred bull.

One of the old time breeders of quailty Polled Herefords lamented the culling of animals strictly because they were scurred. He maintained that frequently the scurred animals were superior to those that weren;t scurred but the single trait selection for smooth polled may have prevented the development of some truly superior cattle.

dun":2iezetvi said:
rocket2222":2iezetvi said:
KNERSIE":2iezetvi said:

One of the old time breeders of quailty Polled Herefords lamented the culling of animals strictly because they were scurred. He maintained that frequently the scurred animals were superior to those that weren;t scurred but the single trait selection for smooth polled may have prevented the development of some truly superior cattle.

Gary Witherspoon believed that if I'm not mistaken.

Part of the reason scurred bulls were culled is because they believed only heterozygous bulls can be scurred.

Here is a link to rather old research on this.
http://www.publish.csiro.au/?act=view_f ... R06044.pdf

KNERSIE":w60fvcfs said:
Proverbs 12:10":w60fvcfs said:

Murphy's law also dictates that your best bullcalf will be scurred. Apart from seeing the calves and doing the DNA work you can look at the pedigree and if you don't see any horned animals in the last 5 generations the bull is very likely homozygous, but you'll never really know untill he is either proven or DNA tested.

Well O.K., my newest bull is a polled hereford and the 20 cows he bred last year have started to calve...should be a could statistical sampling to determine his genes...1st three calves appear to be polled...cows are all horned brahman.

Part of the reason scurred bulls were culled is because they believed only heterozygous bulls can be scurred.

I think you can analyze the horn/polled/scurred thing to death, it still comes down to the fact that, as you said before, the best bull always seems to be the bull thats scurred. It happens far to often to be coincidence or "Murphy's law". Sometimes you just have to go with what obvious, even when theres no real proof to back you up.

Proverbs 12:10":1tdu2k7a said:
Well O.K., my newest bull is a polled hereford and the 20 cows he bred last year have started to calve...should be a could statistical sampling to determine his genes...1st three calves appear to be polled...cows are all horned brahman.

That should prove with an awfully high accuracy if he's homozygous polled. Now comes the except part. Except there is a African horn gene (brahman) that can throw a monkey wrench in the works. Maybe someone can explain why it's called the African horn gene.
This is as good of an explanation as I can find:
http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/an_sci/extensi ... g96-3.html

[/quote]

One of the old time breeders of quailty Polled Herefords lamented the culling of animals strictly because they were scurred. He maintained that frequently the scurred animals were superior to those that weren;t scurred but the single trait selection for smooth polled may have prevented the development of some truly superior cattle.[/quote]

Gary Witherspoon believed that if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.publish.csiro.au/?act=view_f ... R06044.pdf[/quote]

I spoke to Gary Witherspoon personally, and yes he did believe this.

Latest posts