polled herford

Help Support CattleToday:

bjgravley

Reaction score
i live in eastern virginia and want to start a small polled herford herd i would like to start with about three pregnant heifers any info in my area where to buy that would be great

I live in the North eastern part of the State. I live in Edinburg, Virginia. I am a registered herd and I know where you can get some pretty good animals. It all depends on where you are located in Eastern Virginia? Let me know, so that I can help you out. :cboy:

bjgravley":qdt96cfn said:
i live in eastern virginia and want to start a small polled herford herd i would like to start with about three pregnant heifers any info in my area where to buy that would be great

Welcome to the forum. :)

Do yourself a big favour and stay away from heifers until you know you can handle a calving problem - go with second - third - fourth calvers. Preferably with calves at side and bred back.

Bez

Hill Creek Farm":mc8h9x6l said:
I live in the North eastern part of the State. I live in Edinburg, Virginia. I am a registered herd and I know where you can get some pretty good animals. It all depends on where you are located in Eastern Virginia? Let me know, so that I can help you out. :cboy:
thanks very much i live in Surry virginia

bjgravley":iyjjh9wi said:
Hill Creek Farm":iyjjh9wi said:
thanks very much i live in Surry virginia

Hill has posted some real funny numbers on his herd, never could produce the epds on that kick butt bull and we could not find him registered with the AHA. You be the judge.

They only reason that you can't find Camp, is because I am a Junior member of the AHA. I pay my dues as a junior. Now when I turn 22, I will then be abled to be looked up as Hill Creek Farm, but right now you can look me up as a Junior member. And by the way, that kick butt bulls name is DR WORLD CLASS 517 10H. So, Mr. camp, don't be downing my herd and making me out as not a Registered Hereford Herd. I have registered hereford stock, a Junior member, so I just thought you would like to know this. Camp, DON'T EVER put my herd down again, becuase I don't put your herd down and you sure as hell aren't going to put mine down!!!!!!!!!

I own the herd of cattle. Just because I am a Junior member I can still own the herd. I am a student in College that will be transfering to Virginia Tech. I am well educated on the beef cattle background and I know a lot about the Hereford Breed.

While you are in college, enroll in all the communications and public speaking classes you can find. Try to find classes on how to work with others. Oh and some marketing classes would help too. You seem to be ALWAYS yelling or bragging. It won't help you get Hill Creek Farm to be the sensation you want it to be. Yelling and bragging makes me walk away. Makes me think I don't want that breed because if theeeey like them, well........

Farmhand, I am just trying to get my point across about Camp making fun of my operation. Now, I am not trying to brag about my herd. I don't have the best in the world and no I am probably not the best breeder in the world or have the greatest cattle in the world, but I strive just to have a great herd of cattle and have great miling cows, with big thick looking calves. I have gotten out of the show business, and I am striving more towards production. In my own opinion, the show ring is for the millionaires. I am not one of those. I am breedeing for production and to make great calves for the everyday commerical seedstock herds in America. I love selling bulls to my customers and then them sending me pictures of the calves they raise. I want to raise cattle that are going to be productive. I work great with other people, Farmhand, and I have taken Public Speaking classes before. I love people and I don't know a stranger. I love to meet different people that are in the cattle business or reach out to people that want to get involved in the beef business. These are somethings I love to do in my everyday life. :cboy:

Camp

I know you don't need a defender. And I know I seldom get into these things. But, like the song goes - "Tonight's the night"

If you ever get a chance to come to my part of the world we will have to sit down over a coffee and talk a bit. Seems you have found a way of getting under the skin of some young fellow who is gettin a fancy ejukation but has not learned to be at least a little polite. But, maybe it's you that needs a lesson in manners?

Now me, I don't know much about nuthin' and my Herefords are probably pretty spindly compared to this young man's animals. But then I am just a commercial guy. What would I EVER know about breeding? After all, all you have to do is put a bull in a field and the breeding gets done. Right? Creep the heck out of them and they grow. If you get lucky you survive. If you get really lucky you make some money.

Because I am not making any money, I suspect this young fellow with the loud voice has lots to teach me. I am interested in hearing him tell me how some of his competitors raise some pretty poor animals and how his are so good. He might be saving me from making a bad decision. Maybe you and I should just "listen up"?

I also want him to tell me if he is saying the same thing to his competitors in the business. You see, I am under the impression that it is a fairly close knit community. I know one breeder who went WELL out of his way to help me - knowing full well he would get nothing for his help but a hearfelt "Thanks". Funny thing is I had to listen real close to hear him.

But I do buy the odd bull from folks that talk soft, seem honest and act like they are ready to back their animals with a "money back guarantee".

So, once you're done "apologizing for running his herd down" - I will give you 40 lashes with a wet noodle. Then you and I can chow down on a commercial steak that really won't taste too bad. I like the steak a bit burned on the outside and a bit rare on the inside. They need to grade good to taste good when you do them like that. Mine generally do - even though I do not have much in the line of education. And I am getting a real good lesson.

Mind you I am not too sure what the epds are on my bulls and my cows - but I do condescend to throw a little A.I. into the herd once in a while.

Just to keep up with the Joneses - if you get my drift!

:lol:

Bez

I don't really recall Campground making fun of your operation. Campground asked questions that you never really answered. It's hard to take you serious if you can't come up with the answers. I remember the AHA membership question being asked over and over. You are finally giving an answer here and way late. Seems to me you should have been able to say you are a junior member immediately after being asked the first time. Maybe if you didn't use so many !!!!! and unlocked your caps key and humbled your words some, it would help. I know - try using the emoticons and maybe we will understand you better. I just know I don't like being talked down to and that's how your posts sound. Not too many cattlemen will take that kind of attitude. I really do wish you luck. I just think changing your approach would help a lot. ;-)

Bez - that was great! I'm beginning to think this boy is yelling so much that he can't hear us. I would think that if Hill Creed Farms was SERIOUS about what he wants to do, then he would follow some advice and tone it down. After all, we are the kind of people he wants and needs to sell to. I'm beginning to think he will need to come up with a different way to pay for that fancy education.

Once again, very eloquent Bez. You are always true to your words and I reckon you are one of those "money back guarentee" type folks.

Heed to what Bez has to say Matt. These folks are only trying to help out. Don't burn these bridges so early, you may need to back track at some point and will need those bridges to cross rough waters.

And possibly he'll learn how to spel words like perform and polled. But that's probably asking too much.

dun

I hope that my approach towards everyone wasn't to harsh. You all are good people it sound like and that is great. I am a great person myself and I strive to help ranchers or farmers in everyday life. I love working with people not against people.

Latest posts