Polled Herford AI Bulls - Opinions?

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1lxrkmqw said:
I want to hear what all the problems are with Feltons Domino 774. I'm sure the experts have all of the hot scoop on him.

dun

He goes back to Titan, who was questionable as to his bloodline (purebred). He throws allot of white, his daddy was horned (but a great sire). Doug Gerber paid 10,000 for a lot of the semen that was for sale at the Feltons dispersal, and his calves sold very good at the sale. He cannot have his calves registered, unless you own part of him. His semen sells commercially only. I have not seen any new daughters from him for sale, but he shows to have 76 registered by the owners in the last 2 years. I think Doug is rebuilding with him as a foundation. His sons are doing quite well with four of them being multiple trait leaders.

dun":vy2vfbs7 said:
Brandonm2":vy2vfbs7 said:
dun":vy2vfbs7 said:
I want to hear what all the problems are with Feltons Domino 774. I'm sure the experts have all of the hot scoop on him.

dun

I don't know ANY of the rumours or gossip and am too busy trying to get the new farm ready for cows and people to go to current sales, association meetings or anything else. That is one reason I don't make a lot of bull recommendations when I ain't eyeballed any of the daughters. Looking at Feltons Domino 774's pedigree, the one ominous name would be his Maternal Great Grand Sire, F 030 Prospect 208 and that is because Feltons 468 is a a confirmed hypotrichosis carrier (the only confirmed Feltons carrier) and F 030 Prospect 208 is ALSO his Paternal Grand sire. F 030 Prospect 208 had a very short career and left few progeny so there is no way to know if he was a carrier or not. I don't think we know where Feltons 468 got the HY gene from.....this is a condition usually found in Nick the Butler lineage cattle. Are you suggesting that Feltons Domino 774 is ALSO an HY carrier??? and if so is your source direct?

I don;t know anythign about him other then that we use him. Since we have all of the Hereford experts that know all about all of the various bulls, I just figured I'ld ask.

dun

Sorry Dun, I thought you were hinting that you knew something about the bull, on the NEGATIVE end that wasn't public yet. So I asked if it was THE worst case scenario.

Brandonm2":2or5duon said:
dun":2or5duon said:
I don;t know anythign about him other then that we use him. Since we have all of the Hereford experts that know all about all of the various bulls, I just figured I'ld ask.

dun

Sorry Dun, I thought you were hinting that you knew something about the bull, on the NEGATIVE end that wasn't public yet. So I asked if it was THE worst case scenario.

All I've seen that would be classified as a negative is hte backfat. The other thing I've noticed is the smaller stature of his cows, but to me that's a good thing not a negative.

dun

herfhillbilly":18a3he0u said:
Hi, new here, been lurking for quite some time. My first question to this great board. Do you guys and gals think that HY is more common than the AHA leads on? If you go to the site and look up known carriers they have about 10 known.

Take care,
Hillbilly

I am sorry that I started this tangent; but YES it would be far more common than just those 19 known carriers. The really bad one on that list is Nick the Butler because he put 1468 daughters into production and a number of sons. Broadlawn Farms (in Lena Miss)has been advertising that they had Nick the Butlers right up to this year and Grandview Plantation has been using him in ET work in the last four years. Wallstreet had another 268 daughters. Feltons 468 was almost as bad with 194 daughters that went into production. Probably half of those calves are HY carriers. And there is no telling how many cows have an HY carrier in their pedigree someplace.

redfornow":2b03oy76 said:
Alan":2b03oy76 said:
redfornow":2b03oy76 said:
How many cows are you AI'ing? Also are you looking for one bull to cover the lot or are you going to "mate" a bull to a cow.

I'll AI 12 next year, unless I buy something else. Yes I plan to match a bull to each cow.

For example I have a Call 100 heifer, who is currently pregnant from my easy calving herd bull. So when I AI her next year it will be her second calf. Her BW is 7.3, WW 42, YW72, MM 23. So I'm looking at using World Class 517 or Bennet 3008 M116 or M326 on her to bring the BW down and pump up the WW and YW.

Any thoughts,
Alan

Alan,
Now the CE and BW numbers they need to come down so if she were mine a bull like BRAXTON GIANT 1 would be a perfect mating, I think one of the breeders on the this board is a fan, so he or she could tell you more than I, but so far I have liked what I have seen.
Like I said lots of very good bulls out there cheap.

MD

Alan I am going to use BRAXTON GIANT this fall but you need to be aware semen comes in 1/4 cc staws and not 1/2 so you need a differnt gun. Not expensive just wanted you to be aware of it.JHH

JHH":11gme5ci said:
redfornow":11gme5ci said:
Alan":11gme5ci said:
redfornow":11gme5ci said:
How many cows are you AI'ing? Also are you looking for one bull to cover the lot or are you going to "mate" a bull to a cow.

I'll AI 12 next year, unless I buy something else. Yes I plan to match a bull to each cow.

For example I have a Call 100 heifer, who is currently pregnant from my easy calving herd bull. So when I AI her next year it will be her second calf. Her BW is 7.3, WW 42, YW72, MM 23. So I'm looking at using World Class 517 or Bennet 3008 M116 or M326 on her to bring the BW down and pump up the WW and YW.

Any thoughts,
Alan

Alan,
Now the CE and BW numbers they need to come down so if she were mine a bull like BRAXTON GIANT 1 would be a perfect mating, I think one of the breeders on the this board is a fan, so he or she could tell you more than I, but so far I have liked what I have seen.
Like I said lots of very good bulls out there cheap.

MD

Alan I am going to use BRAXTON GIANT this fall but you need to be aware semen comes in 1/4 cc staws and not 1/2 so you need a differnt gun. Not expensive just wanted you to be aware of it.JHH

I run Braxton's love the line very small calves that grow quick.
I have had very good luck in crossing the Braxton's with Star Lake lines very impressive growth rates.

Latest posts