POLLED HEREFORDS

Help Support CattleToday:

I think they're pretty well-suited to many different environments. Find a good Black Angus bull to breed them to and you would most likely have great calves for the market.

> LOOKING INTO CATTLE WHAT TYPE OF
> ENVIRONMENT IS THE POLLED HEREFORD
> SUITED FOR AND HOW GOOD IS THE
> SALE MARKET IN THE SOUTH EAST.

[email protected]

Polled Herfords would do just fine in your area. I would have to agree that crossing with a good Angus bull would get good money at sale barn or good meat in the freezer. The baldies do well in all areas, but the polled herfords seem to not bring as much at the sale barn (at least where i'm at). Everyone seems to want to see some black on'em. good luck

Late jumping in here, but my parents raised Polled Herefords in the Atlanta area for almost 50 years and didn't close up shop til about 8 yrs.ago; due to age and suburban encroachment. They are a gentle breed and did well in our area. There was always a market for them (although I heard the usual complaints about prices) and the registered stock sold well. I have, however, heard the same comments that "black sells". Perhaps some research at your local market/exchange will indicate whether your best bet is with straight Hereford or an Angus cross.

NTO CATTLE WHAT TYPE OF
> ENVIRONMENT IS THE POLLED HEREFORD
> SUITED FOR AND HOW GOOD IS THE
> SALE MARKET IN THE SOUTH EAST.