Polled Hereford with twitching nose

Help Support CattleToday:

tmc37160

Reaction score
Young polled hereford steer approximately 550-600 lbs has developed symptom of twitching nose. Nose shakes rapidly from side to side without head moving. Anybody have a clue what the problem is and what to do about it?

tmc37160":33qvuy9v said:
Anybody have a clue what the problem is and what to do about it?
We have an outstanding group of young Hereford breeders on these Boards. Maybe one of them will be along shortly and can help you. Until then, to answer your question, I don't have a clue what it could be. Is it really a problem for him or is it just a problem for you? I mean, has this been going on a long time and is it affecting his feed consumption? Or does it just bother you to see him do it? These answers will give our Hereford breeders something to work with.

I would humbly hazard a guess that it is a nervous disorder. If it is not affecting him in any way, I would still ask a vet what he/she thought.

speaking of noses...We have a young cow that we show, and more often than not she has her nose pushed up against a pole, t-post, gate, or something...any ideas why she does this?

Ryan":2zefs3mt said:
speaking of noses...We have a young cow that we show, and more often than not she has her nose pushed up against a pole, t-post, gate, or something...any ideas why she does this?

I have a cow that does this and then she sneezes really loud. She has allergies. She is scratching the inside of her nose when she does it.
Sometime she tries to use the corner of the tail gate on the truck.

Ryan":2dq70x8z said:

I was always told that when they do this it is to rest their necks. Or possibly stretch the neck muscles.