POLLED HEREFORD-RESEARCH

Help Support CattleToday:

AMT

Reaction score
I am trying to find out a little on this breed's characteristics in terms of frame size, fleshing, and general perception. Any information you provide is appreciated. For example, according to your experience would you say that the carcass value of these animals can rival that of an angus? Is it true that the marbling is comparable? Do you refer to them as whiteface cattle be they polled or not? I would like to know from you the ranchers , what do you think about them in terms of quality and economic value? I am writing a brief paper on them and would like to know those small details that only those who have worked with them know. Thanks

AMT":2l7z329z said:
I am trying to find out a little on this breed's characteristics in terms of frame size, fleshing, and general perception. Any information you provide is appreciated. For example, according to your experience would you say that the carcass value of these animals can rival that of an angus? Is it true that the marbling is comparable? Do you refer to them as whiteface cattle be they polled or not? I would like to know from you the ranchers , what do you think about them in terms of quality and economic value? I am writing a brief paper on them and would like to know those small details that only those who have worked with them know. Thanks

Pm txag or certherf if they don't reply to your thread as these are two of the most knowledgable Hereford people on the board.

I grew up with herefords and there are many great things about them. They have in general a very calm and friendly disposition. They are very fertile, can live on very poor quality range or pasture, some herefords milk very well but on average quite a bit less than say angus. As far as quality, Herefords marble less easily than Angus, but I always managed to force down a hereford TBone without suffering much.

Herefords are one of only two of the "old" breeds of cattle that were bred exclusively for meat, not for milk or draft purposes. The other breed is Angus. Herefords can milk and grade with any other beef breed if selected for it. However, if you use genetics developed in the West for the high desert, where a heavy milking cow may not breed back quickly due to lower nutrition, and expect them to milk on lush grass in the Mississippi basin, you may be disappointed. Herefords may be substituted equally for Angus in a maternal cowherd for all traits except color. If you stick close to Hereford (polled or horned) and Angus genetics, you will not go wrong. Many people have their favorite between the two breeds and cannot bring themselves to admit their equality, but it is true nevertheless. It has been proven for over a century.