Polled Hereford Heifers: What to Breed To?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a really nice set of polled hereford heifers -- they're ET calves out of Reload and World Class. I'm trying to decide what to breed them to and have had a hard time finding a bull that just jumps out at me as the one I should use. I'm looking for a bull with low birthweight (of course) and good pigmentation -- at least some pigment on both eyes and minimal white everywhere else. I'm leaning toward BOYD WORLDWIDE 9050 ET at http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1HP00831&lang=EN. This fella seems to be everything that I'm looking for, but I'm a little concerned that his numbers may not be very realistic as he's only a calf and so this is the first breeding season for him. What do you guys think? Any suggestions for other bulls I should look at?

Given your criteria, he looks like a very good choice.

Using an unproven bull is always a risk, but looking at his actual BW and his pedigree, you shouldn't have any calving problems from him. Even if his growth numbers fall back into the range of his maternal grandsire, Legend, you won't be hurt.

Second time around, you might look at the Harvie bulls, like Traveler or Tailor Made, to get a little more explosive muscling pattern and volume. But I wouldn't use them on heifers.

George

Using an unproven bull is always a risk, but looking at his actual BW and his pedigree, you shouldn't have any calving problems from him. Even if his growth numbers fall back into the range of his maternal grandsire, Legend, you won't be hurt.

Second time around, you might look at the Harvie bulls, like Traveler or Tailor Made, to get a little more explosive muscling pattern and volume. But I wouldn't use them on heifers.

George

Lol, great minds think alike -- I really like the Harvie Tailor Made bull. I have a Tundra daughter that I'm planning on flushing to him this year.

719T would be my pick, fwiw, which probably isn't much :D
Did you mean TH 122 71I VICTOR 719T? I do like him. I just wish he had pigment on his eyes. If he had some pigment on either eye I think I'd probably go with him. Maybe I'm placing too much importance on this, but folks in my area sure seem to be looking for the pigment when they're buying hereford bulls.

paintedwolfranch":3kwg5bvq said:
719T would be my pick, fwiw, which probably isn't much :D
Did you mean TH 122 71I VICTOR 719T? I do like him. I just wish he had pigment on his eyes. If he had some pigment on either eye I think I'd probably go with him. Maybe I'm placing too much importance on this, but folks in my area sure seem to be looking for the pigment when they're buying hereford bulls.

He has got pigment and he sires pigment.

Look at WLB Global as well (Semex, I think)

I really like WLB Global -- is he a polled or horned hereford? His registration number looks like he's horned, but I'm not sure. His birthweight isn't bad, but it isn't as low as some. My heifers already come with a fairly hefty birthweight (especially the Reload ones). Do you think he'd still be ok for a heifer bull?

He polled, as far as I know he hasn't caused any calving problems yet, but in your situation a proven low BW bull would be the better choice, in that case I'd go for 719T, although I would have liked to see more depth.

Herefords.US":3vbfwdfl said:

George

That traveler bull has a big B.W. do you think it will come down? At 80% I think it will most likely stay where it is at? Of course there are other things that affect B.W. so it may be alot different for some folks.

I think I just like him better because of the snow in the pic :lol:

I have over 60 babies on the ground out of 719T and most out of first calf heifers. All dark red and almost all have pigment. I would put some pictures up on here but I am too stupid to know how to get them up here. Most all in the 65 to 80 pound range.

I have over 60 babies on the ground out of 719T and most out of first calf heifers. All dark red and almost all have pigment. I would put some pictures up on here but I am too stupid to know how to get them up here. Most all in the 65 to 80 pound range.
That's good to know. I'll take a closer look at him -- I really like the idea of breeding to a bull whose birth weight EPD is more proven.

I did not have any problem calving to Global this year they are shaped right. All of my weights have been on average 10 lbs heavier this year over last year my globals averaged 86 lbs my angus AI sires were heavier too. I like the Global calves so far they are growing. I also used Thor for the first time and was happy with his birthweight. Those calves averaged 84 not including a 55 lb heifer.

I checked out the website, Amanda. Straightforward, easy to navigate, and very informative. Very well done website (a lot better than most ranch web sites). I liked the Poseidon bull a lot.

S&S Farms":23hxkm1a said:
I did not have any problem calving to Global this year they are shaped right. All of my weights have been on average 10 lbs heavier this year over last year my globals averaged 86 lbs my angus AI sires were heavier too. I like the Global calves so far they are growing. I also used Thor for the first time and was happy with his birthweight. Those calves averaged 84 not including a 55 lb heifer.

How much pigment did Global sire? Care to share some pics of his calves, even if they are still young?

I checked out the website, Amanda. Straightforward, easy to navigate, and very informative. Very well done website (a lot better than most ranch web sites). I liked the Poseidon bull a lot.
Thank ya much -- Brandonm22. Poseidon's a nice bull, we actually sold him last week -- now just eight more to go -- lol. Also, have you used the King Ten bull? If so, does he throw calves with eye pigment?

Latest posts