Polled Hereford CED EPD's

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
As I look into starting a A.I. program, I'm researching potential bulls. One thing that I now realize is that the calving ease-direct (CED) has the bearing on how easy the cows will calf, (rather then BW...this makes my a rookie still :D ). As I have learned with Hereford's the higher the CED number the eaiser the cow will calve (under normal conditions, +4.2 is much better then -6.2). But can anyone tell me what number may to too low and start giving me calving problems? Not talking about first time hiefers, I'll keep easy calvers on them.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":bvb102dp said:
As I look into starting a A.I. program, I'm researching potential bulls. One thing that I now realize is that the calving ease-direct (CED) has the bearing on how easy the cows will calf, (rather then BW...this makes my a rookie still :D ). As I have learned with Hereford's the higher the CED number the eaiser the cow will calve (under normal conditions, +4.2 is much better then -6.2). But can anyone tell me what number may to too low and start giving me calving problems? Not talking about first time hiefers, I'll keep easy calvers on them.

Thanks,
Alan

The bulls CED isn;t waht will give you problems if you retain any daughters. His daughters calving ease is CETM, I like that be a be aminimum of 2.0

dun

Alan":3ox3g1mi said:
But can anyone tell me what number may to too low and start giving me calving problems?

I would think that the breed of cow would be important in this decision as well. I've "heard" that one should stay higher than 5~6 with CED's and maybe even higher with CEM's. "Heard" is the key word here.

I would think that a small framed angus would potentially have a harder time calving than a large framed tiger stripe, in general, regardless of the CED of the bull.

Alan":2dykns3s said:

Thanks,
Alan

Alan

Give us a little info - approx ages and weights of these animals you own.

Are they straight Herf?

Ever weigh any of the calves? What is their history?

Bez!

All my cattle are reg. Polled Herefords between 3 and 5yrs, most being pretty good size cows, I would say larger framed. I have two smaller cows, out of 9, one I'll be culling this year with her calf. I have 4 first time heifers that I'll cover with a bull who does well with first time heifers. So to clear this up, I have 9 cows, minus one cull, plus 4 heifers. To equal 12 cows as my number to quit getting numbers and start improving the lines.

I have weighed all my calves within hours of birth, all between 84 and 98 lbs. Avg is about 94lbs.

My first year, 3 calving seasons ago (going into my fourth this spring), I rented a bull and it was a nightmare. I had 2 hard pulls, 1 died in birth in the early morning hours, 1 unassisted and 1 weighed 28lbs. 5 total, the normal calves where 94lbs to 98lbs., the one who died was 96lbs. The next year I bought my current bull never a problem and birth weights about the same, bull calves 87lbs. up to 98lbs, heifers 84 to 92lbs. I did help one of the 2 smaller cows last year, but it was a easy 5 minute pull on a first time heifer (gave me a very nice calf), she may have not needed help. she's short in height but not small in frame. Last years calf crop 6 month weights (6 months, not 205 days), when I shipped them, was between 480lbs and had 3 of 7 at 600lb area.

I will have my current bull cover the herd after this calving season and then ship him (I'll take his 3 daughters to a friend to be covered by his Angus mix bull, easy calver).

My current bull's CE is -1.8, his MCE, Hereford for CEM, is -0.1. I have no idea what the rented bull's numbers were, he dropped all bulls and I shipped them all.

I hope this helps, thanks for your replies.

Alan

Latest posts