Polled Hereford Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Rainplace

Reaction score
We'll be using ai for the first time and I'm a little confused over the bulls I'm looking at. Most of them seem to have what I can only term as "swayback." We always loved the straight backs of our herefords and are wondering if there is some reason so few of the bulls we're looking at have this.

Also can someone point me towards some bulls to consider?

i looked at several revolution bulls this summer at Doug Gerbers liked them real well but ended up buying a mark domino 8020 from Doug i really liked the cow side of this bull

I was thinking about using Revolution on my Tarentaise cow this year. Her topline is very straight (okay, other than the Tarentaise tailhead which is always high), and from his photo he seems very straight as well. I'm looking for some improvement in the udder, which I believe the catalog said that he might do.

The objective is to have a Continental/European cross that would be bred to black angus in the next generation. For those of you who have used him before, what are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Michael

jhh those bulls were on fescue pasture and about 10 pounds of grain a day and they looked real good to me

Stocker Steve":3ikka7n1 said:
Amo":3ikka7n1 said:
Revulation from Genex is the hereford I used.

What was your goal, and how did the calves turn out.

Without my Genex book, can't really tell ya everything I guess. In a nut shell, I have smaller framed cows that seam to hold their condition. I don't want to go off the deep end either. Went through and looked at ABS, Genex, Select, Accelerated and he is the one I liked the best. According to rep good udders, polled, a tick more frame, calving ease (used him on blk v. heiffers and some cows), a little gas (growth) but not much, and hopefully good carcass. Going by the numbers thats what I picked. I think (dang C. R. S.) Harland was my second but he was horned. Not that thats an issue but if I can avoid it what the heck.

As far as phenotype....I went to a farm show and see a heiffer calf there. Looked alright, but feed/management does wonders. This is the first year Ive tried him.

I liked this one as well. I found Revulation on line and compared him to this one and not sure what changed my mind right now except horns. Ive seen this bull and the owner said he had just pulled him out of the pasture. How many cows he was breeding IDK...etc, guess thought this one might be too easy keeping. I try to go left and right of center on fleshing ability. Right now I think I need a little preformance I guess. The CSU might be a bit better in some other points. Calving ease, but Genex rep said he knew a guy that used him as a heiffer bull and the sire of Rev is a heiffer bull.

http://www.baldymaker.com/

Amo":38xr52hi said:
Stocker Steve":38xr52hi said:
Amo":38xr52hi said:
Revulation from Genex is the hereford I used.

What was your goal, and how did the calves turn out.

Without my Genex book, can't really tell ya everything I guess. In a nut shell, I have smaller framed cows that seam to hold their condition. I don't want to go off the deep end either. Went through and looked at ABS, Genex, Select, Accelerated and he is the one I liked the best. According to rep good udders, polled, a tick more frame, calving ease (used him on blk v. heiffers and some cows), a little gas (growth) but not much, and hopefully good carcass. Going by the numbers thats what I picked. I think (dang C. R. S.) Harland was my second but he was horned. Not that thats an issue but if I can avoid it what the heck.

As far as phenotype....I went to a farm show and see a heiffer calf there. Looked alright, but feed/management does wonders. This is the first year Ive tried him.

I liked this one as well. I found Revulation on line and compared him to this one and not sure what changed my mind right now except horns. Ive seen this bull and the owner said he had just pulled him out of the pasture. How many cows he was breeding IDK...etc, guess thought this one might be too easy keeping. I try to go left and right of center on fleshing ability. Right now I think I need a little preformance I guess. The CSU might be a bit better in some other points. Calving ease, but Genex rep said he knew a guy that used him as a heiffer bull and the sire of Rev is a heiffer bull.

http://www.baldymaker.com/

Do you perhaps know where I can see a better photo of the last bull?

CSU-RAM-DOMINATOR-4203

CSU-RAM-DOMINATOR-4203.jpg

In the end I ordered semen from Pharo Cattle - NT Plato Rupert 123 (http://www.pharocattle.com/Semen-Source ... reford.htm) almost solely based on looks. I found looking at bulls to be a daunting task especially since I'm not really sure what it is our herd needs. Hopefully as I gain more experience and have a better idea of what I'm looking at, I'll make decisions based on that experience instead of "prettiness."

I always liked him, but there was some unresolved registration issues last time I heard about three years ago.

I think his dam didn't have DNA on file or something like that, so you couldn't register AI calves?

Whoowee. 2.5 frame score on that 123 bull.

I got on the 'cows are too small' bandwagon for a short time, and used a 4.0 frame Angus bull for about 3 years - made 'em TOO small, for the most part. Decided my 1100-1200 pound cows really weren't all that big; 800-900 lb 'cows' are a bit too small, for me.

Guess I'd now be afraid a 2.5 frame bull would 'shrink' them even more.
I'll stick to 5-6 frame bulls from here on out...

Lucky_P":22i1avti said:
Whoowee. 2.5 frame score on that 123 bull.

I got on the 'cows are too small' bandwagon for a short time, and used a 4.0 frame Angus bull for about 3 years - made 'em TOO small, for the most part. Decided my 1100-1200 pound cows really weren't all that big; 800-900 lb 'cows' are a bit too small, for me.

Guess I'd now be afraid a 2.5 frame bull would 'shrink' them even more.
I'll stick to 5-6 frame bulls from here on out...

:nod: :nod: