Polled Hereford Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

rnh1

Reaction score
What's the pros and cons of a Polled Hereford bull? :dunce:

I've got one cause, I've got black cows, to get some nice black baldys,also makes nice heifers to keep. I like the Polled cause a few of my cows might throw horns if bred to horn. But, I also made sure to buy a good one. Lots of Polled Herefords I've seen are weak in the rump.

Around here if a calf shows to much herford tendency it will get docked. Alot of the herford calves are on the fleshy side. That's the reason i dont use them. I wish it was different because there by far my favorite breed.

Around here if a calf shows to much herford tendency it will get docked. Alot of the herford calves are on the fleshy side. That's the reason i dont use them. I wish it was different because there by far my favorite breed.

I use horned Herefords because they are usually stronger in the hind end to me. I rarely get a horned calf breeding to black brangus cows, so most of my brangus cows probably came from polled brahma genes. I wouldn't let polled be my biggest deciding factor on a hereford bull.

why do you supppose that polled herfs are (or are thought to be) somehow weaker that horned? polled and muscled/tough traits should not have been mutually exclusive... aren't there some polled herfs that fit the bill?

brihop":bx6jb3q0 said:
why do you supppose that polled herfs are (or are thought to be) somehow weaker that horned? polled and muscled/tough traits should not have been mutually exclusive... aren't there some polled herfs that fit the bill?

I think its because they used polled as the most important trait selected for. They are getting better though now that other traits are being selected. And yes there are some good polled herefords, just not as many as horned IMO.

For some reason I always thought Polled Herefords would not throw horns - as in they are homo polled. I learned from reading on here and a few other places that almost all Polled Herefords are hetro polled, so they can still throw horned offspring if bred to crossbred cows that are hetro polled or horned cows. I was a little disappointed.

I wouldn't make a huge deal out of polled or horned Hereford. Buy the best quality bull you can, whichever one it happens to be.

There's been plenty of hindquarter in Polled cattle for awhile now. You just need to visit the right breeders.

Neil Trask Bull
oldbullphoto2.jpg

Bull bred by Bill Hathcock in Dallas, Georgia
hphbull2.jpg

One of our yearling bulls
18WJune420124.jpg

Another yearling
img_5346.jpg

Bull calf
aug282012pics19.jpg

jhambley said:
There's been plenty of hindquarter in Polled cattle for awhile now. You just need to visit the right breeders.

Neil Trask Bull
oldbullphoto2.jpg
you wouldnt see many, if any., of his type, as little a 20 years ago around here,, they were doing it right.... like to have him ,and that old ford coupe....

Jhambley,

I am not for sure those bulls got enough rear. Send me one or two down this spring so I can look at him in the field for about 60 days. I will be better able to assess him that way. He could "visit" with my gert ladies.

Those are some realy good looking herefords jhammbley!!
If the yearlings and Hathcock bull are yours I'd say you're doing it right too. Not too many full herfs around these parts anymore. :(

brihop":jlf9lhlm said:
For sure, It's finda kinda a thing of the past,(weak rumps) but, old habits are hard to break. There are Polled Herefords out there that have it all. IMO

Here's My Polled Hereford Bull. Picture was taken at 19 months. ET calf of of Nasdaq. Will someone please blow this picture up. My brainiac daughter can't even figure out how to do it. Thanks B&G Tell me whatca all think of him.

Thanks.

Greybeard I own a 1/2 interest in the Hathcock bull. The others are his sons out of my cows. I'm used a paternal half sib of this bull as well as one of his sons this past breeding season.

Latest posts