polled hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
I sold this bull last year as a 14 month old under the impression that he was going to be used on 15 heifers. Instead the new owner turned him out with 65 cows for six weeks, then took him to another 7 cows. After that he was sent to a neighbour to breed 12 heifers.

He is now 25 months old, has 65+ calves on the ground, has been in the breeding pasture since 1 August with 70 cows, he is on decent pasture, but the herd gets no supplement at all. He himself has never seen grain in his life.

The cows in the background are mostly 3/4 hereford 1/4 jersey. That makes the calves mostly 7/8 hereford.

100_1279.jpg

100_1276.jpg

100_1291.jpg

100_1292.jpg

100_1302.jpg

All I can say is WOW thats alot of work.
Dont see how he is getting it all done.
Its also a train wreck looking for a place to happen.
One slip up and the guy is going to have alot of open cows.

Looks good though...

MD

redfornow":33wb384w said:

Looks good though...

MD

That is very true, its simply poor stockmanship, but I dare say if the bull managed it at 14 months he'll do it again this time barring a freak accident

KNERSIE":20qq6cr0 said:
redfornow":20qq6cr0 said:

Looks good though...

MD

That is very true, its simply poor stockmanship, but I dare say if the bull managed it at 14 months he'll do it again this time barring a freak accident

KNERSIE,

I would say that you are right. But its still a gamble.
His call not mine.
May I ask what is the bulls breeding?
He certainly has held up beyond expectations.

MD

Very thick, nice looking bull. Looks like the top two pics are this year, where as the bottom pics are 2005 where he is 14 months, correct?. One of the better bulls posted here lately and he's a Polled Hereford! :D

Alan

Alan":2nnq3kra said:
Very thick, nice looking bull. Looks like the top two pics are this year, where as the bottom pics are 2005 where he is 14 months, correct?. One of the better bulls posted here lately and he's a Polled Hereford! :D

Alan

actually they were all taken today, the camera's batteries went flat and was replaced, but the date wasn't changed back. I didn't even see the date was wrong untill you mentioned it.

He was born July 2005.

Very nice. You know your stuff Knersie. Is this bull out of the sire with the big butt that was also only on grass? You should show his picture also.

Gate Opener":1faz9hqy said:
Very nice. You know your stuff Knersie. Is this bull out of the sire with the big butt that was also only on grass? You should show his picture also.

No he was out of a previous herdsire, I'm not keen on posting the photo of the sire with the big butt because he don't belong to me, I used him very heavily as an AI sire, expecting his first calves very soon.

Knersie, You sholuld be proud of yourself for beeding that bull. He is obviously doing what he should do. Do you use any genetics from the U.S.? If so what do you reccomend?

loganfos":1ezaoxyx said:
Knersie, You sholuld be proud of yourself for beeding that bull. He is obviously doing what he should do. Do you use any genetics from the U.S.? If so what do you reccomend?

Thanks loganfos,

I haven't recently used any US genetics where I have offspring on the ground yet, but I have about 20 units of semen of a feltons Jedi son out of a SA cow family, that I will be using next year as an experiment.

Most of my cowherd goes back to Vindicator although about 5 generations back. My main AI sire is a 4th generation GK Renegade, so in short no I don't really use US genetics, although a big portion of my herd has some US influence. Our conditions are unique and require hardy cattle, importing semen seldom yields very good results in the first generation, but once the foreign genetics are diluted a bit more with local blood they usually come to the fore through grandsons of imported genetics.

There are quite a few good bulls around in the USA, but what is good and usefull in my opinion are seldom the popular genetics of the day.

It would be foolish to make a recommendation over the internet on which bull to use with absolutely no idea what your cattle looks like or without any knowledge of your conditions

Great looking bull---and what a work schedule!! He has
held up remarkably well. Do you have a full brother that
you can keep for yourself!! :D

True story: about once per year I call Rocky Vess of
Winrock Farms and ask if I can buy back the 3 heifers
that we sold to him about 5 years ago...so far no luck.
But maybe you can buy back this nice fellow at some
point in time :?: :idea:

A neighbor and I owned a bull together that naturally bred over 100 cows in a year period.

He was 18 months when he first went in with cows.

It's not impossible at all Knersie.

TNMasterBeefProducer":3lqdpn7m said:
If I posted on here that my bull bred 65+ cows as a yearling people would be calling foul and saying I was full of BS. No offense Knersie but I find what you are telling us dang near in possible. My BS meter is going off. Sorry thats just my opinion.

Believe what you want, mate. No skin off my nose.

Must admit if I didn't see the calves I would also think its very improbable, I've seen enough strange things not to say impossible.

KNERSIE":ptd2k85p said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":ptd2k85p said:
If I posted on here that my bull bred 65+ cows as a yearling people would be calling foul and saying I was full of BS. No offense Knersie but I find what you are telling us dang near in possible. My BS meter is going off. Sorry thats just my opinion.

Must admit if I didn't see the calves I would also think its very improbable,
  • I've seen enough strange things not to say impossible.
now that's a fact anyone thats been in the cattle business long will tell you theres always head scratcher's

KNERSIE":skzbnnyr said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":skzbnnyr said:

Must admit if I didn't see the calves I would also think its very improbable, I've seen enough strange things not to say impossible.
KNERSIE, Dont worry, you've always been a "credible" poster in my opinion. I dont doubt the story at all. Seen it done before.

The amount of cows a prolific bull can breed truly astounds someone whose never owned one-we did a synch trial with natural breeding and had a charolais bull serve 13 and settle 11 of them in one day.

Northern Rancher":hmo4gfmy said:
The amount of cows a prolific bull can breed truly astounds someone whose never owned one-we did a synch trial with natural breeding and had a charolais bull serve 13 and settle 11 of them in one day.

I always wondered how many cows a bull can breed in one day. I have seen 4 personally, but that was a mature bull and the cows weren't synchronized, it just happened that 4 was in heat at the same time.

Some older bulls will mount a cow 2 or three times at move on to the next cow, I doubt a young bull will breed too many in a day as they tend to spend more time on foreplay and pillowtalk. ;-)

Latest posts