polled hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

My vet told me a of a study that was done in Austrailia;

They bred a yearling bull to a different cow every 20 minutes for 24hours
A mature bull was bred to a different cow every 15 minutes for 24hours.

The conception was the exact change.

SEC":rr20zc1u said:
My vet told me a of a study that was done in Austrailia;

They bred a yearling bull to a different cow every 20 minutes for 24hours
A mature bull was bred to a different cow every 15 minutes for 24hours.

The conception was the exact change.

Bulls don't seem to mind having to breed a lot of cows. The old "one cow per month of age" recommendation seems very conservative.

Kind of an extreme way to do a BSE Knersie!
Good local advertising for your breeding stock. :lol:

Well now I don't feel so bad about my 18 month old in with 30. :lol:

Good looking bull, thanks for posting the pics.

ALX

We had a South Devon yearling that we owned in partnership that bred 80 as a yearling-mind you he had two breeding seasons to get it done between the two places. We collected him at Alta Genetics that fall and he produced pretty well for being down in condition. He was the soundest bull on his feet of any I've ever owned-I'd of liked to graft them onto some Angus cattle I've owned since. In my opinion most poor bulls are overused and most good ones are underused with the reccommended bull/cow ratios-mind you 25 cows is a pile for a hog fat halter bull to undertake.

Northern Rancher":132zpggu said:
We had a South Devon yearling that we owned in partnership that bred 80 as a yearling-mind you he had two breeding seasons to get it done between the two places. We collected him at Alta Genetics that fall and he produced pretty well for being down in condition. He was the soundest bull on his feet of any I've ever owned-I'd of liked to graft them onto some Angus cattle I've owned since. In my opinion most poor bulls are overused and most good ones are underused with the reccommended bull/cow ratios-mind you 25 cows is a pile for a hog fat halter bull to undertake.

Isn't that the truth!

Latest posts