Polled Hereford bull suggestion?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stonegate

Reaction score
I was reading the OCC Legend 916S post and began to wonder... what Polled Hereford bull would be comparable to Traveler 6807 that was used to develop OCC's line?

Are there currently lines of Polled Herefords phenotypically similar, and genetically fixed, that are available?

I have looked at Lents Anxiety 4th Horned Herefords, and Day's Hazlett Herefords, but these breeders either don't sell females or have limited availability and long waiting lists.

Stonegate":2f94tzu5 said:
I was reading the OCC Legend 916S post and began to wonder... what Polled Hereford bull would be comparable to Traveler 6807 that was used to develop OCC's line?

Are there currently lines of Polled Herefords phenotypically similar, and genetically fixed, that are available?

I have looked at Lents Anxiety 4th Horned Herefords, and Day's Hazlett Herefords, but these breeders either don't sell females or have limited availability and long waiting lists.

They must be doing something right. ;-) You might try Kit Pharo dont know if that is what you want. Also there is a member on here that has started his own with some older line bred genetics.You might see about him.

Stonegate":36n9ganv said:

I have some Havre King Dominos, they are a polled line that were developed at the Havre, MT research station. I don't have many females though and am trying to build numbers. The Miles City Line 1's are a very good line of horned cattle being bred at the Miles City, MT USDA-ARS station. I have some semen on a polled straight Miles City Line 1 bull that was bred at the West Coast Florida station, I also know a man who might be willing to sell a polled son of that bull. My best suggestion is for you to consider buying some females from the Miles City station, the sale is March each year, and get some semen on the polled bull (or buy a son) and start your linebred herd. The Miles City Line 1's are not fault free, but they are readily available and pretty darn good. There is semen on several very good Miles City Line 1 bulls, I own one of them. When selecting females at Miles City, select for fertility, sound udders and sound movement in the hind legs. There are also some polled Lamplighters that are closely related to Lents cattle. A man in VA owns them now. I think he posts on here sometimes. If you want some names or contact info PM me.