Polled Hereford 3 year old

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
A top 3 year old first calf heifer

hphs12-1.jpg

hphs12-2.jpg

hphs12-5.jpg

Here are a couple photos of her heifer calf. Sorry the photos aren't very good. Mr Hatchcock said she was born 4/12/09 with a birth weight of 68 lbs.

hphs12calf.jpg

hphs12calf2.jpg

Good cow, I thought she was older than 2, good calf too. Eyes are the only thing I can really fault her on. Is that her condition on just pasture while nursing a calf?

Sorry, I just changed it to 3 years old. I do know he feeds about 3 pounds of corn gluten as heifers. I'll have to check with Mr Hathcock to see if she has received any supplementation while nursing this calf.

It's a very nice heifer calf sired by the Spot Junior bull my heifers were exposed to.

JH

Knersie,

I spoke to Mr Hathcock again this morning and he said he feeds 3 pounds or distillers grain or corn gluten until the heifers are about 16 months old then they start his "boot camp". No supplementation after that. His pastures are fescue and white clover. In the summer the forages are dallas, crab, and bermuda grasses.

He says that's the strength of the Trask cattle. They've been bred for decades to thrive on forage only. This particular calf has four shots of a cow named NT Sadie Boc FF. She's 18 years old now and still at Bent Tree Farms.

So to answer your question, she's raised this calf and held her condition on pasture only.

Here's a photo of her.
sadieboc.jpg

that is 1 heck of a pair.an she shows her breeding real well.an that heifer calf by her side is a keeper.

with all the hereford breeders in kansas,, what brought you too georgia, these bloodlines?

Yes, I drove all the way to Georgia just for these bloodlines. I've been exchanging emails and phone calls with Mr Hathcock about my desire to add easy doing Polled Hereford genetics to my herd for some time now. I've always heard the Trask cattle were fine cattle. It was a long drive but hopefully these cattle will work for me here in Kansas.

JH

jhambley":11hvkryb said:
with all the hereford breeders in kansas,, what brought you too georgia, these bloodlines?

Yes, I drove all the way to Georgia just for these bloodlines. I've been exchanging emails and phone calls with Mr Hathcock about my desire to add easy doing Polled Hereford genetics to my herd for some time now. I've always heard the Trask cattle were fine cattle. It was a long drive but hopefully these cattle will work for me here in Kansas.

JH
probably easier too adust too your forage,, than for cattle too go from kansas to here on fescue..

probably easier too adust too your forage,, than for cattle too go from kansas to here on fescue..

I agree. I've seen cattle shipped off of brome here just melt away in Texas.

I think that humidity of your also requires nothing less than a perfect hair coat.

JH

jhambley":cv69buzn said:

I agree. I've seen cattle shipped off of brome here just melt away in Texas.

I think that humidity of your also requires nothing less than a perfect hair coat.
JH
got you a dose of that, did you..? you can break out in a sweat just thinking around here.all the moisture weve had lately aint helped :cowboy:

I wish I had brought her home with me but she's not for sale. Even if she were, I couldn't afford the price tag. :)

JH

Since I posted a photo of the NT Sadie Boc FF cow I thought I would share a photo of one of her sons. He would be the sire of the Spot and Hodge bulls I posted in another thread. I think he is 13 years old now. Obviously he's a younger man in this photo.

hph6007.jpg

Latest posts