Polled genetics question

Help Support CattleToday:

Arjan

Reaction score
Sometimes google takes you to unexpected places and this is one of them for me. I'm a zooarcheologist from the Netherlands and i'm interested in the occurence of scurs on cattle skuls. I've found a skull (see image) with small bony protrusions in a roman period artificial dwelling mound site in the Netherlands but i'm not sure if it's a scur or not. I was wondering if any of you have seen protrusions like this on polled cattle.

455-5.jpg

Now I aint know where close to being what you said.
Polled cattle can have scur's but they are not attached to the skull like horn's.
Dun may be on later and be able to anwser your question that should have been the time frame he was a young whipper snapper.

I've read some literature that mentioned that scurs can fuse with the skull, that's why i'm looking for someone who breeds polled cattle like limousins or herefords.

Arjan":auutsaeq said:
I've read some literature that mentioned that scurs can fuse with the skull, that's why i'm looking for someone who breeds polled cattle like limousins or herefords.

Limos and herefs are horned cattle....

SSGenetics":2rz74wmk said:
Arjan":2rz74wmk said:

Herefords are polled as well any I ever had scurs were loose just hanging on the skin.

Scurs are a odd little gene. Bull has one copy of the scurved gene he will be scurred. Cow has to have two copies to be scurred. Scurrs on a cow may look like she is horned but the horns will be loose. Over time they may become attached.

I found some info on the genetic background of scurs in different articles and on this website: http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/polled.html. What I want to know whether someone here has seen bony protrusions like these attached to the skull of their polled cattle. I need to know if these protrusions are scurs or something caused by something completely different.

by SSGenetics » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:33 am

Arjan wrote:

Hmmm, What about the Limousin`s that are Homozygous Polled?

Circle H Ranch

Latest posts