Poll- should the U.S. bring back the military draft?

Help Support CattleToday:

Should the U.S. bring back the draft?

• Yes

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 56.0%

• Total voters
Hook":1bg9ifyl said:
If we'd mind our own business there's wouldnt be a need for near as many troops as we have now

I agree. We need to stop being the world's political police.

I voted yes because I saw what the Army did for my older brother. He was one of those wayward guys at 17 when he left home and was living with whomever would let him bunk for a night or two. Getting dishwasher jobs he would loose because he got to screwed up the night before and didn't show up.

I'm four years younger and growing up there was never a fight I was able to win until that time period whereas I whipped him before he left (drafted) for the Army. During his six years serving there was a big change and he turned out to be a decent human instead of the drugged out kid that would have never changed otherwise.

JSCATTLE":2ckq1axo said:
No I don't want my boys used as a pawn in some political bs war. If they want to fight when the U.S. is attacked then I'm good with it . But I doubt any third world country is brave enough to send troops to the main land . I grew up just fine without serving . I guess my biggest problem is I don't believe n anything the government does .
Sure are lots of "I"s in that post.

When was the last time a general or a private started a war?
All wars since the time of Genghis Khan (and maybe even then) have been political, and always will be.

Hook":l94rpg4s said:
If we'd mind our own business there's wouldnt be a need for near as many troops as we have now

Thats a double edged sword that got us drug into WWII.
I am for us being more isolated from the world but not so isolated we don't see it coming.

Caustic Burno":32ilez2q said:
Hook":32ilez2q said:

I am for us being more isolated from the world but not so isolated we don't see it coming.
I'm of the thought that we need to take care of our own house before we even think of taking on others. We cant feed kids here but we feed entire countries around the world all off our nickels. That needs to stop. It all goes back to taking care of ourselves first and foremost. That's one big reason we are in the situations we are in now

Hook":23v4yaia said:
Caustic Burno":23v4yaia said:
Hook":23v4yaia said:

I'm of the thought that we need to take care of our own house before we even think of taking on others. We can feed kids here but we feed entire countries around the world all off our nickels. That needs to stop. It all goes back to taking care of ourselves first and foremost. That's one big reason we are in the situations we are in now

I agree brother Hook :clap: IMO the biggest war we are fighting now is right here at home and the only draft we need to do is draft new leaders of the gov't. I never understood how gov't had the right to take money we working folds made and pay taxes too and can just ship it anywhere and everywhere to people that hate the U.S. and what it stands for. How did we let this slide past us and let it continue on. I believe take care of everyone here first and if anything left sure help your fellow human but start at home.

Hook":5dbmtdt6 said:
Caustic Burno":5dbmtdt6 said:
Hook":5dbmtdt6 said:

I'm of the thought that we need to take care of our own house before we even think of taking on others. We cant feed kids here but we feed entire countries around the world all off our nickels. That needs to stop. It all goes back to taking care of ourselves first and foremost. That's one big reason we are in the situations we are in now

If everyone had to serve in some capacity after HS 2 yrs be it CC camps or the Marine Corp this country would be in
much better shape.

I don't know that we need that big of a military. At least not at this point in time. Also the requirements for the military are different now than they use to be. They don't even take high school drop outs anymore. The world is a lot more high tech than it use to be and so is the military. Gone are the days when someone with a lower IQ was just handed a rifle or made into a dish washer. On the other hand I like the idea of having all kids required to join and go through military basic training followed by a required time of service. The required service could include a lot of things other than military. Things like Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, or something similar to the old CCC. I don't see the political will to do this but if they were to do it I think it should be mandatory for everyone.

Caustic Burno":ctwm2xch said:
Hook":ctwm2xch said:

Not sure I can swallow that one.. There is alot of people that served and are just as screwed up as a person that never served if not worse. Some people do not need to know military tactics and how to kill etc because they are unstable and can really do some damage. However, I do think that the most that served that had no direction in life came out a better individual that learned what it takes to be a good individual. The closest I got to the military was 1st LT. in ROTC. I could have went in as an officer and chose law enforcement over military. My mother who served 27 years in the Army who said it was one of the best things she ever did and enjoyed it for the most part loved it. She also said military is not for everyone. My sister may try the military if she cant figure out what she wants to do. Mandatory and drafting is 2 whole different animals. I was stating earlier that I think was mis-understood was that someone that gets drafted that has no self worth or cares about what happens to this place is not someone I want to fight on my behalf because they are against you if they are not truly with you. I agree their really is no need for the big military now.

Dave":e590gtai said:
I don't know that we need that big of a military. At least not at this point in time. Also the requirements for the military are different now than they use to be. They don't even take high school drop outs anymore. The world is a lot more high tech than it use to be and so is the military. Gone are the days when someone with a lower IQ was just handed a rifle or made into a dish washer. On the other hand I like the idea of having all kids required to join and go through military basic training followed by a required time of service. The required service could include a lot of things other than military. Things like Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, or something similar to the old CCC. I don't see the political will to do this but if they were to do it I think it should be mandatory for everyone.

Two years without having a bunch of helicopter parents would do the youth of this country a lot of good.
Go through basic find out there is a world without a cell phone or tv and you have to work to eat.
Put them to work in the national parks, building new schools, court house etc.

To many in this country today want the milk and honey but don't want any skin in the game.

Caustic Burno":hqzzb2zq said:
Dave":hqzzb2zq said:

Two years without having a bunch of helicopter parents would do the youth of this country a lot of good.
Go through basic find out there is a world without a cell phone or tv and you have to work to eat.
Put them to work in the national parks, building new schools, court house etc.

To many in this country today want the milk and honey but don't want any skin in the game.

If you were not such a frigging lost in the field, out of date, out of touch dinosaur you would realize that your comments are completely out of line with today's parents and today's youth.

While there are some good ones out there, the fact remains that people of today - for the most part do not agree with you.

As you know - I are you - so my comment is this:

We have - us the older generations - bred limp wristed, weak dicked, lily livered chicken schits for children today - I would put that percentage at over 90%.

And the social media folks have encouraged it - you are not allowed to have an opinion in event you offend someone

So - to make it even better - it is my belief that you should not even have the right to vote or participate in any decision making process in ones country unless you have served the community or the country.

You do not serve you do not have the rights of a citizen - essentially you are nothing unless you have done some community service.

And that makes me even worse the YOU you old dinosaur!

Best to all

Bez

slick4591":ooxpzzbn said:
Hook":ooxpzzbn said:

I agree. We need to stop being the world's political police.

I voted yes because I saw what the Army did for my older brother. He was one of those wayward guys at 17 when he left home and was living with whomever would let him bunk for a night or two. Getting dishwasher jobs he would loose because he got to screwed up the night before and didn't show up.

I'm four years younger and growing up there was never a fight I was able to win until that time period whereas I whipped him before he left (drafted) for the Army. During his six years serving there was a big change and he turned out to be a decent human instead of the drugged out kid that would have never changed otherwise.

:clap: :clap: :clap: that is just what I saw in my oldest son.

Absolutely, the draft for all. I think the military is a great equalizer. Yes there are remf's( rear echelon mf's). All should serve in country or at home. In country two years, at stateside four years. Our government is not perfect! It is up to us to try and get it back on the right track. Impossible maybe, but we must try. I have strong feelings about this subject. If you won't serve, in my opinion your getting a free ride.

JSCATTLE":xob3v50n said:
No I don't want my boys used as a pawn in some political bs war. If they want to fight when the U.S. is attacked then I'm good with it . But I doubt any third world country is brave enough to send troops to the main land . I grew up just fine without serving . I guess my biggest problem is I don't believe n anything the government does .

What is a political BS war? I guess it is every one that I have participated in while you watched it on the news with a beer in your hand.

While I may not agree with some of the things your government and mine have done - if you take the Queen's schilling, swear on the bible, hold your hand up to the flag or whatever the oath to the various countries are - then you are obligated to go.

And I ask you - what is wrong with serving your country?

If you actually believe your comment I think it is you and people like you that are the real problem. Best look in the mirror the next time you complain about your government. Yeah - it is folks like you and with that attitude.

Look out for your own but not your neighbours it seems.

If you do not trust your government then move your azz into political activism. The people - YOU - are the government - but only if you make it happen. Otherwise you will do as you are told or be jailed and possibly worse - do not dismiss this - it is coming because limp wrists and weak dicks do nothing but complain and hope it will p[ass them by.

Lots of folks beach all the time and do nothing.

And there are a tonne of them right on this board! LOL

Sounds like you might be one of them.

Go look in the mirror and remember - if you do not trust your government - then what have YOU done to change that?

Try to make a difference tomorrow - and please - do not give me outrage and attitude for me calling you out. Because those who are here and agree with your statements are the same to me.

Just go and think on it - that is all I ask.

Out of this one.

Cheers

Bez__

And one final thing for you to think on. Those third world folks are invading, they do have the courage to hit hard and in fact you, or people like you walk by them every day - you see them and do not realize they are far more ready to hurt you than you are ready to defend yourself.

To deny this is not only fool hardy it is arrogant - and arrogance will get you killed in the real world.

Two children shut down a huge portion of the east coast last year - imagine what 100 determined, well trained and well armed men could do.

North America has been isolated and protected by a big set of oceans - they will not protect us much longer.

B

Hook":3smekhem said:
If we'd mind our own business there's wouldn't be a need for near as many troops as we have now

The more we privatize, the more wars we fight in and the more profits that are extracted from them. Modern wars we fight in are extremely profitable ventures, except for our brave men and women on the ground.

Latest posts