Poll, please respond.

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you plan to make money from your cattle and do you plan to raise more then just a few to do it?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
oakcreekfarms":2keac4ry said:
I am a business and marketing student, with some economics. I can tell you that real wages 30 years ago where higher then they are now.

I only own a few cows, working the registered side, and want a few recips. And yes I plan on making money at it.

You might want to ask some of the people living, paying bills how different it was back in 1976 instead of some economics teacher.

I sure remember my parents having it a lot rougher 30 years ago than I do now. Today people are so much better off financially than they were 30 years ago in my opinion, but I did not get that out of a book, just the fact I watched my mom and dad try to pay their bills in that time.

back 30yrs ago you could owe $100,000 an make the payments,but now its like oweing 4times that much.an you have to keep your cash flow up to make the payments.30yrs ago everything you needed was alot cheaper.

This could turn into an interesting debate, and some of us could really show our age. :D

30 years ago I was framing houses for $5 an hour, well above min wage, and had plenty of money for a kid fresh out of school. now min. wage is $7.50 in Oregon (second highest in U.S. behind Wash). I could buy gas for my VW bug for less than a $1/gallon.

Withing the last four years we refinanced our place for 30 yrs, fixed, at 5%, the lowest int. rate at that time ever. 30 yrs ago my folks had their house financed at around 8%. 30 yrs ago my folks made some money on long term treasury bonds that paid 17%.

I don't think it was much different overall, just at what people had to do and the cost of living.... Milk for under a buck, bread 19 cents. The cost of beer back then was..... For as much as I drank beer I should know this. The cost must have been not as important and the taste.

Now I'm thinking about the past and the days of my youth, in the 70's you couldn't get Coors beer (it was illegal) in Oregon or Washington, so when someone was going to eastern Oregon or close to Idaho they would take orders and sneak as much as they felt comfortable bringing back into Oregon. You where big stuff at 19 or 20 with a case of silver bullets in the fridge. I believe it was illegal because of the brewing process, not pasturized (?) and the drinking age in Idaho was 18 at that time for beer.

Okay time to grow up.
Alan

I was just stating a fact. Times can be hard for anyone at anytime. Most salary increases don't even come close to the inflation rate.

Latest posts