Poll: nutritionist

Help Support CattleToday:

How many people actually use a nutritionist for their cattle?

• Always

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Never

Votes: 24 55.8%
  • HUH

Votes: 9 20.9%

• Total voters

dun

Reaction score
Since it is frequently suggested to use a nutritionist I'm curious how many beef producers do.

I get my feed from our local mill and they have a fella there that is the "go to guy" for developing your recipes. Don't know if he is a "certified nutritionist" but he is pretty darn good at blending feed.

Takes a pretty big operation to justify the cost of a nutritionist. Good common sense, experience and some study usually will work for small guys like me.

I have thought about it, but haven't yet. I am trying to get a less expensive show feed for the bulls and heifers that won't cost 15.00 a bag... Maybe find a nutritionist that could help formulate a ration that I could mix on my own or something.
Heck, maybe I will look around and see if I have any information from college with the class I had on nutrition. (I didn't do as well as I wanted to in that class).

Our bull test station works with a nutritionist, but we winter our cows on cottonseed cubes like most other producers around here. We did get some lick tubs this fall and they seem to be working out ok. We may get more of those.

I have used one twice, so I am a sometimes voter.
Once was for a ration formulation after hay analysis and the other was on minerals.

The ration worked out great and I still stand by the pellets I use on feeders, for the minerals I should have stuck with what was working and saved my money.

dun":trieibmb said:
Since it is frequently suggested to use a nutritionist I'm curious how many beef producers do.

Thinking about sending your cows to Weightwatchers?

cfpinz":3gho85jc said:
dun":3gho85jc said:

Surely it was meant as a joke, but it could actually be a problem if you are catering to problem cows. It seems to me you would have to segregate the herd out in groups.

As it is now, they all get the same pasture, mineral access, and free choice hay in the winter. BCS varies from cow to cow.

A very well known vet is a friend. He offers unsolicited advice from time to time with justification and reasoning. I pay close attention out of respect. I followed his advice with those lightweight heifers I bought last summer. I learned something out of that. Wrote down that mix somewhere too.

we never used 1 when we had the dairy running.an we sure dont use 1 with the beef cows.

backhoeboogie":229d90pq said:
cfpinz":229d90pq said:

Surely it was meant as a joke, but it could actually be a problem if you are catering to problem cows. It seems to me you would have to segregate the herd out in groups.
He;s seen our cows. We've selected for easy keeping and good calves for so long that they get fat on air I think. Coulnd;t possibly be the toxic endophyte fescue that they're stuck eating as pasture or hay. Nah, couldn;t be that!

When we dairied our nutritionist was a key player, he was also a very good friend. All of our feed was bought except for the barley silage, pellets beet pulp and calf starter were purchased from the same feed company. The nutritionist was part of the program ,he would visit us once a month go through our herd and our DHI records. My husband is a whiz when it comes to finding just the right tmr but even he went to the nutritionist for advice when milk production dropped suddenly or other problems. Our nutritionist would even take a feed analysis of our standing crop so we would know the best time to chop to get the most out of it. It is very common here for a top producing herd to use a nutritionist regularly.

A beef herd is and can be different, you do not have to be as strict with your feed plan you have a little more leeway. If you have flush cows and recips you need to be on top of your game so I used him alot when I was first getting set up. I rarely use our nutritionist anymore, except in times where I am trying something new, like this year, we also get our feed analyzed each year so we know what feed program to use. It is a free visit over a cup of coffee/tea or a free phone call when I am in a bind. Just like my vet is a free phone call any time I need an answer..

If you are in a new situation or if your program is not working to where it should be and you need help a nutritionist can be yours and your cattle's best friend.

dun":1g2mo81s said:
backhoeboogie":1g2mo81s said:
cfpinz":1g2mo81s said:

He;s seen our cows. We've selected for easy keeping and good calves for so long that they get fat on air I think. Coulnd;t possibly be the toxic endophyte fescue that they're stuck eating as pasture or hay. Nah, couldn;t be that!

Don't you have a couple named Oprah and Rosie?

Latest posts