Votes: 7 28.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
This is a good one! Your favorite sentimental gun - for whatever reason. I included descriptions this time for each entry.

#1: Winchester Model 1897 Manufactured 1910
1648571685020.jpeg
#2: Dad got this old German shotgun from a solder after WW2. It is a 16 gage full choke both barrels, the trigger guard is stag. I think dad bought it off the solder for $37.50, it was all the money he had on him; the guy was needing money. We had a neighbor that was a gun smith and he restored it, he had it for three years; I guess it was hard to find info on it because the factory had been bombed during the war.
1648571821490.jpeg
#3: This is an original old Colt Peace Maker with ivory grips. My brother sent the serial number to Colt. They replied that the gun had been shipped to a hardware store in Kansas in the 1880. I know a great uncle had it in 1910. he gave it to my uncle who gave it to me.
1648571897415.jpeg
#4: Original Winchester model 57 Ser 25699 with a 330 scope M-8, W R WEAVER CO, El Paso, TEXAS.

Back story; My Grandpa and Grandma raised four sons on a farm they rented 50/50 with the land lord. Mr and Mrs Ringle didn't have any children, but thought the world of my dad and uncles. Mr Ringle couldn't choose one not over the other so he gave the fun to my grandpa. It hung in a fun rack up stairs in my grandparents house until I was in high school. I'm the only grandson. My Grandma couldn't choose which son got the rifle, so she gave it to me. Supposedly Mr Ringle used to take it to Minnesota whitetail hunting. Not sure if that's true. Just what I was always told.
What I do know is that Weaver scope has a variation of a German #1 reticle. At 75yds you can knock a good ball off the top of a fence post with it.
1648571966510.jpeg
#5: This gun is first gun my father could afford to buy. Up until then he had a shotgun he borrowed from family. My brother and i plus my sisters all learnt to shoot with this gun. For such a short barrel it is extremely accurate. It is a Glenfield .22 calibre S-L-L-R. Comes with a seven shot magazine and over the 40 years it has never failed or missed a beat.
1648572056999.jpeg
#6: Winchester 7mm Rem Mag that we got from an elderly neighbor 30 years ago... I recently spent a pile on it, 6-16x 50mm bushnell scope and a new stock.. it ought to reach out and touch things
1648572116723.jpeg
#7: My grandfather's 1949 model 12.
5th anniversary gift from my grandmother to him.
1648572188865.jpeg
#8: This was my Dad's rifle. Not sure when he acquired it, probably in his late teens early 20's. I believe he paid $20-$25. It is the only rifle I enjoyed
hunting with. It has taken a lot of deer and a few coyotes. I realize it looks a bit battered compared to some, but it has never missed, I have, but
not the rifle. When my Mom's home burned, nearly thirty years ago, all of the firearms in the house had severe smoke damage, a friend did a pretty
good job of cleaning them. My one cousin told me I should never take it apart to try to do cleaning as there would be risk that some parts, especially
involving the the wood, might not go back in place as they should. I can't use the open sights anymore, and haven't found another rifle that seems
to fit my hands, so the blacktails are safe from me
1648572327231.jpeg
#9: Many many days spent killing pop cans and chasing around horned toads (never shot a horned toad, always caught em!) with dad and grandad!
Dad has a old Marlin 39a.
Grandad had whatever 22 was handy.

Attachments

• 11371-042830f445c7ab516c33c01d591866ea.jpg
    11371-042830f445c7ab516c33c01d591866ea.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 1648572387896.jpeg
    1648572387896.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
If that old Peace Maker could talk!!!

That Browning sure is sweet too. Someone has some vintage ammo as well. Love the case. Original browning case? Belgium made? I always wanted one with the French gray receiver.

Edited to ad this. I see Browning is now making a satin nickel with an octagon barrel.

I bet that 16ga double is fun to shoot.

Nice to reminisce of good ol days..

Last edited:
This is going to be a hard contest to win because all the entries & stories behind them are amazing! Take your time to cast your vote because I won't close the poll until towards the end of the month, but I'll bump the post every so often.

This is going to be a hard contest to win because all the entries & stories behind them are amazing! Take your time to cast your vote because I won't close the poll until towards the end of the month, but I'll bump the post every so often.
TC> Re the Model 12 You may wish to clean the trigger mechanism which is very easy to do. It is secured by an easily removed
drift pin, which if memory serves will go either way, This will allow you to clean out any gunk that may be around the hammer
or trigger. This allows you to remove the bolt/firing pin as well, however if you have never done it I would suggest just
using a brush and solvent as it can be tricky getting it back in the track. I predict a feeling of satisfaction once you have
taken it apart and become familiar with how it works. Enjoy the day and wear it out if you can! LVR

I'm a little surprised at the # of shotguns compared to rifles. I will relate a story here from the days of my mis-spent youth. The shotgun that was bought from a soldier needing the cash reminded me of a 12 ga I bought off a sailor that needed money while I was stationed at Millington naval base in the early 70s. I too paid $35 for it to someone that needed gas money to go home to Fla one weekend.

As a youngster growing up, there were few firearms in my house. Dad had a .22 and a 30-30, mother kept a double barrel 12 ga near her bed since day worked shift work and was gone most nights and that that was it. Our hunting consisted of rabbit hunting and coon hunting a few times/year. I had never used a shotgun until I got to Vietnam. I was air crew, what most call a door gunner. My primary weapon was either a 50 cal Browning or an M60 machine gun, but we also carried self defense weapons in case we went down and had to defend ourselves in enemy territory. The 2 pilots carried only their sidearms tho one had a Thompson he hung right outside the opening between cargo area and the flight deck.
The 3 man crew tho, could draw and carry anything in the US arsenal. If we went down with no troops aboard, the survivors of the crash would be on their own defensively until SAR arrived. We all carried a last resort sidearm (sometimes a .45 sometimes a 38 sp revolver) but I also loaded a blooper (an m-79 grenade launcher and 2 bandoleers of 40mm ammo), a bandoleer of frag grenades, and chose a 12 ga 20" pump trench gun. M870 Remington with an extended mag to carry 8 rounds and a bayonet lug for a standard USMC m7 bayonet. Then, my m-16. I loved that shotgun, even tho it had an almost full length stock. I fortunately, never had to use it in anger.

There was nothing special about the (a Remington pump I think) shotgun I bought, but I lived on base in the barracks and our weapons all had to be stored in the base armory.
I was dating a local girl that still lived with her parents out in the boonies about 10 miles from Millington and I took it out there a couple of times to squirrel hunt (even tho I never saw one and had no Tenn hunting lic). Mostly I just enjoyed having it and shooting up a bunch of empty Jax beer cans, which were plentiful courtesy of he father's poor taste in beer. Since the base armory was closed on Sunday, I had to leave it in my vehicle from Sunday afternoon until Monday morning, which was a serious breach of base regulations had they inspected my vehicle on base. So, ............ I left it at GF's parent's house.

All went well for a few weeks or so, but I met someone else and old GF found out about it. I had a part time gig working as a bouncer in a Millington night club on Friday and Saturday nights and it was a rough and rowdy country place and the local girls came out of the woodwork on weekends. One night, a Millington police officer came in, asked me who owned the silver corvette outside and I told him I did. "You need to step outside a minute"..
There stood another officer and old GF and a pair of wirecutters and her purse on the hood of the police car and she was raising mortal hell. She started in on me and the officer explained they drove by, saw her down on all 4s with the wirecutters and she had cut my left rear brake hose. (Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned) They asked if i wanted to press charges, but I knew that would entail the Shore Patrol and the JAG officer and I said no, just let her go, but they insisted on seeing her ID for their report upon which she cussed him 'strongly' reared back , slammed her prodigious purse down on the hood of their car and spilled the contents out including a little popgun .32 and dented the hood.
That's it lady, you are going to jail!!

That's when the cussin and fight really started.
Just as they were driving off (with her handcuffed in the back seat,) new GF drives up and backs in right next to my car, gets out, steps over something and said, "You have something leaking out from under your car".
"Yeah, I know, busted a brake line, I'll have to fix it tomorrow".
Discretion being the better part of valor, I decided to just leave that $35 shogun right where it was at her father's house. I'm brave but not stupid. Never saw it or her again.
8months later, I married new GF.

I'm a little surprised at the # of shotguns compared to rifles. I will relate a story here from the days of my mis-spent youth. The shotgun that was bought from a soldier needing the cash reminded me of a 12 ga I bought off a sailor that needed money while I was stationed at Millington naval base in the early 70s. I too paid $35 for it to someone that needed gas money to go home to Fla one weekend.

As a youngster growing up, there were few firearms in my house. Dad had a .22 and a 30-30, mother kept a double barrel 12 ga near her bed since day worked shift work and was gone most nights and that that was it. Our hunting consisted of rabbit hunting and coon hunting a few times/year. I had never used a shotgun until I got to Vietnam. I was air crew, what most call a door gunner. My primary weapon was either a 50 cal Browning or an M60 machine gun, but we also carried self defense weapons in case we went down and had to defend ourselves in enemy territory. The 2 pilots carried only their sidearms tho one had a Thompson he hung right outside the opening between cargo area and the flight deck.
The 3 man crew tho, could draw and carry anything in the US arsenal. If we went down with no troops aboard, the survivors of the crash would be on their own defensively until SAR arrived. We all carried a last resort sidearm (sometimes a .45 sometimes a 38 sp revolver) but I also loaded a blooper (an m-79 grenade launcher and 2 bandoleers of 40mm ammo), a bandoleer of frag grenades, and chose a 12 ga 20" pump trench gun. M870 Remington with an extended mag to carry 8 rounds and a bayonet lug for a standard USMC m7 bayonet. Then, my m-16. I loved that shotgun, even tho it had an almost full length stock. I fortunately, never had to use it in anger.

There was nothing special about the (a Remington pump I think) shotgun I bought, but I lived on base in the barracks and our weapons all had to be stored in the base armory.
I was dating a local girl that still lived with her parents out in the boonies about 10 miles from Millington and I took it out there a couple of times to squirrel hunt (even tho I never saw one and had no Tenn hunting lic). Mostly I just enjoyed having it and shooting up a bunch of empty Jax beer cans, which were plentiful courtesy of he father's poor taste in beer. Since the base armory was closed on Sunday, I had to leave it in my vehicle from Sunday afternoon until Monday morning, which was a serious breach of base regulations had they inspected my vehicle on base. So, ............ I left it at GF's parent's house.

All went well for a few weeks or so, but I met someone else and old GF found out about it. I had a part time gig working as a bouncer in a Millington night club on Friday and Saturday nights and it was a rough and rowdy country place and the local girls came out of the woodwork on weekends. One night, a Millington police officer came in, asked me who owned the silver corvette outside and I told him I did. "You need to step outside a minute"..
There stood another officer and old GF and a pair of wirecutters and her purse on the hood of the police car and she was raising mortal hell. She started in on me and the officer explained they drove by, saw her down on all 4s with the wirecutters and she had cut my left rear brake hose. (Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned) They asked if i wanted to press charges, but I knew that would entail the Shore Patrol and the JAG officer and I said no, just let her go, but they insisted on seeing her ID for their report upon which she cussed him 'strongly' reared back , slammed her prodigious purse down on the hood of their car and spilled the contents out including a little popgun .32 and dented the hood.
That's it lady, you are going to jail!!

That's when the cussin and fight really started.
Just as they were driving off (with her handcuffed in the back seat,) new GF drives up and backs in right next to my car, gets out, steps over something and said, "You have something leaking out from under your car".
"Yeah, I know, busted a brake line, I'll have to fix it tomorrow".
Discretion being the better part of valor, I decided to just leave that $35 shogun right where it was at her father's house. I'm brave but not stupid. Never saw it or her again.
8months later, I married new GF.
Dude! That story is EPIC!
The gf part was kool. But especially like the memories of weapons and what not on the chopper!

Thanks for the trip.

14,000lb payload capacity. It was not some little whirlybird type helicopter. 8,000 hp and a 72' rotor blade diameter can pick up and deliver a lot of dead weight. The grunts called us 'shi**ers'. We would land and a line of 43 Marines came out the back like a long green turd. A full rifle platoon. The only reason we didn't carry more is there wasn't physical space inside for more.
heavyhauler.jpg

shitter.jpg

14,000lb payload capacity. It was not some little whirlybird type helicopter. 8,000 hp and a 72' rotor blade diameter can pick up and deliver a lot of dead weight. The grunts called us 'shi**ers'. We would land and a line of 43 Marines came out the back like a long green turd. A full rifle platoon. The only reason we didn't carry more is there wasn't physical space inside for more.
View attachment 15202

View attachment 15203
You must have felt the power of that hp in your bones when it was lifting. Bloody impressive.

they are agile too. Altho I did make one trip down to Chu Lai with the same pilot that did this, thankfully he kept it going straight and level.

Ch53 was the 1st helicopter to do loops and rolls
The current CH53K, a 3 engine model, (each rated 7,500hp) and can easily exceed 300mph and lift 35,000 lbs. The Marines ordered around 220 of them.
shi**er takeoff

Last edited:
Okay, epic fail - my bad. I should have posted the results for March weeks ago but clearly, my brain has been scrambled lately.

Congratulations to @Dave, who was the winner with pic #3, the Colt Peace Maker! Followed by @SBMF 2015, pic #4, the Winchester.

Since April is almost over, let's resume with May. Dave gets to pick the subject.

Okay, epic fail - my bad. I should have posted the results for March weeks ago but clearly, my brain has been scrambled lately.

Congratulations to @Dave, who was the winner with pic #3, the Colt Peace Maker! Followed by @SBMF 2015, pic #4, the Winchester.

Since April is almost over, let's resume with May. Dave gets to pick the subject.
Thank you for the votes on the Peace Maker. I wish I knew the history on that gun before my Grandfather came to this country. I do know that Alex had it when Grandpa arrived. The timber towns on the Washington coast during that era were pretty rough and tumble. Loggers going to town on a drinking spree got Shanghaied, rolled, and even murdered. I am pretty certain that is why Alex had the pistol.

Everyone posts pictures of their good looking cows. How about the ugliest cow you own. No Craigslist, sale yard, of neighbor's cows. Ugly cow which you actually own. I know there has to be back pasture cows that you people keep hid.

Last edited:
View attachment 15202

View attachment 15203
I really like the picture in the middle hoisting the Cat, makes it look like a toy under that chopper. One of the first tractors dad turned me loose on was a 9U once my legs got long enough to reach the brakes. I'd also like to extend a handshake your way and say thank you for your service. It's not lost on all of us young bucks.

Thank you for the votes on the Peace Maker. I wish I knew the history on that gun before my Grandfather came to this country. I do know that Alex had it when Grandpa arrived. The timber towns on the Washington coast during that era were pretty rough and tumble. Loggers going to town on a drinking spree got Shanghaied, rolled, and even murdered. I am pretty certain that is why Alex had the pistol.

Everyone posts pictures of their good looking cows. How about the ugliest cow you own. No Craigslist, sale yard, of neighbor's cows. Ugly cow which you actually own. I know there has to be back pasture cows that you people keep hid.
Congratulations Dave.

Latest posts