Poll Hereford show winner

Help Support CattleToday:

townfarmer

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
468
Reaction score
0
Location
Eukey Australia
I went to the Royal Brisbane show (the ekka) yesterday to watch some of the cattle judging. I was fascinated to see this junior bull win it's class. If you'd swapped its testicles for an udder it would have easily passed for a thickish cow. The judge raved about it's weight for age, it's rib eye and it's frameyness but nothing was said about it's feminine head.

IMG_0283.jpg


I'm no cattle expert so please tell me if I've got this one wrong!!

Andrew
 

hillsdown

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
9,930
Reaction score
9
Location
Alberta, Canada
I see a deep ,thick bull. That has a smooth top line (not quite perfect though) and I am impressed with the back half , he looks to have both a full round and rump. He could be longer in the body maybe or it might just be the angle of the pic and that CT tends to crop some pics on it's own.

Like what George said about the head ,he was clipped to look pretty for show. It is hard to judge from the pics though and not seeing what the other bulls were showing against him as well.

But [email protected], I maybe totally wrong as well.. :lol2:

I am sure Knersie will add more as to what is good and bad about this bull, he is an actual judge.
 
OP
townfarmer

townfarmer

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
468
Reaction score
0
Location
Eukey Australia
Herfords US wrote:

his head has been clipped

The other bulls in his class did have curly foreheads. Maybe that's what made him appear feminine to me. Thanks for pointing that out. Proves I still have no idea what I'm talking about :oops:. Thrown off by a gay haircut
 

KNERSIE

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
7,058
Reaction score
1
Location
3rd World
rocket2222":1v1am4sj said:
He's not deep, and I don't like his hip, but I don't mind his head.

The competition in that class couldn't have been very strong, I agree he's gutless, short hipped, lack character, not very sound, but he has some decent outer thigh developement and body length.

Sadly this type of bull is plentifull in the UK today, I hope Australia isn't also going that way.
 

Keren

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
3,415
Reaction score
0
Location
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
KNERSIE":135r3f81 said:
rocket2222":135r3f81 said:
He's not deep, and I don't like his hip, but I don't mind his head.

The competition in that class couldn't have been very strong, I agree he's gutless, short hipped, lack character, not very sound, but he has some decent outer thigh developement and body length.

Sadly this type of bull is plentifull in the UK today, I hope Australia isn't also going that way.

I cant speak for north Australia, but I can assure you that bull would not win down here in NSW or Vic, unless its a very bad pic. I dont like him at all. Yes, the head bothers me. And numerous other things bother me as well.
 

ANAZAZI

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Messages
2,946
Reaction score
2
Location
Sweden
townfarmer":1lfa0989 said:
Herfords US wrote:

his head has been clipped

The other bulls in his class did have curly foreheads. Maybe that's what made him appear feminine to me. Thanks for pointing that out. Proves I still have no idea what I'm talking about :oops:. Thrown off by a gay haircut
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
 
OP
townfarmer

townfarmer

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
468
Reaction score
0
Location
Eukey Australia
Keren wrote:

unless its a very bad pic. I dont like him at all.

If anything that photo flatters him!

Knersie wrote:

Sadly this type of bull is plentifull in the UK today, I hope Australia isn't also going that way.

In my inexperienced uneducated opinion that bull certainly wasn'y typical of the hereford bulls that were on display. But it's very possible that I'm wrong :?. Here are a few other random bulls that were there on the day.

IMG_0310.jpg


IMG_03361.jpg


IMG_0370.jpg


IMG_03381.jpg


IMG_0332.jpg


IMG_03251.jpg
 

KNERSIE

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
7,058
Reaction score
1
Location
3rd World
You're right typewise he stands out like a sore thumb. The judge wasn't from the UK by any chance? Other than that I can offer no explanation for his placing.
 

Australian

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 1, 2008
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
0
Location
Northern New England Region, Tenterfield NSW Austr
I'm not really impressed with any of the bulls pictured. Just bcause its a Royal Show doesn't mean that the cattle are the best of the breed. You would like to think that exhibitors did take the best of the best. The best Poll Herefords to be seen in Australia are at the National Poll Hereford sale at Dubbo. Big volume beefy bulls that are typical of Australian Poll Herefords. Thanks for the pics by the way.
 

KNERSIE

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
7,058
Reaction score
1
Location
3rd World
Australian":3cwbx1jz said:
I'm not really impressed with any of the bulls pictured. Just bcause its a Royal Show doesn't mean that the cattle are the best of the breed. You would like to think that exhibitors did take the best of the best. The best Poll Herefords to be seen in Australia are at the National Poll Hereford sale at Dubbo. Big volume beefy bulls that are typical of Australian Poll Herefords. Thanks for the pics by the way.

I don't think the quality is outstanding but its a pretty decent group.

The owner of this angus bull must either be completely barnblind or very very new to the game? :shock:
IMG_0357.jpg
 

Arnold Ziffle

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2003
Messages
1,174
Reaction score
0
Location
southwest of Houston, Texas
Well, after all they are from the land down under --- it looks like they've got the makings for some good sized, bull bone boomerangs. But I guess those leg bones might be a bit too heavy and not quite flat enough to achieve optimum boomerang flight characteristics. :shock:
 

HerefordSire

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
5,212
Reaction score
0
Location
Arkansas
Arnold Ziffle":188spqxd said:
Well, after all they are from the land down under --- it looks like they've got the makings for some good sized, bull bone boomerangs. But I guess those leg bones might be a bit too heavy and not quite flat enough to achieve optimum boomerang flight characteristics. :shock:

LOL! I wasn't going to say anything but do all the cattle there have those leg characteristics? (just joking Colin).

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
 

Latest posts

Top