• Bad eyes

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Bad udders and not enough milk

Votes: 27 47.4%
  • Big birth weights

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Bad feet

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I like horned herefords, but hate dehorning and don't want to introduce horns into my herd

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • I like the idea of poll herefords, but can't seem to find the right type

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Hereford sired calves just aren't cute enough

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Not enough growth

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Not enough bone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My daddy hates herefords

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters
I voted although there is actually nothing that would keep me from having them. Just voted for the one that concerns me the most and seem to be the least corrected so far.

What about...Hereford bulls don't provide enough hybrid vigor for my black baldie cowherd?

i plan on using a polled bull in the future,, although eyes would be a minor concern... udders would be top, course feet and structure with any bull ,

whitecow":xnz05nxf said:
What about...Hereford bulls don't provide enough hybrid vigor for my black baldie cowherd?

good point, I wonder if I can still edit the poll?

Please choose the other factors that would keep you from using hereford bulls

I've never had a problem with Hereford udders, but teats are a whole different kettle of fish

dun":2fuiy21m said:
I've never had a problem with Hereford udders, but teats are a whole different kettle of fish
there is a man around from me has a good looking herd of polled cattle,, but the teats and udders or about as bad as ive seen, look like a bundle of bananas.. this is a old herd that he bought out a few years ago... these cows stay in great condition on just fescue hay and a white salt blocks is their diet, no working chute unless he's using a pour on in the old barn

Well, we do use Hereford bulls, but I voted for the 3 greatest problems we find when looking for a new bull. My biggest is simply not enough growth. As for eyes and udders I see them as a slight problem, but one that has really been addressed in the last few years. Lots of pigmented eyes out there and there is a lot of attention being paid to the udders too.

I like them, but the market pays less around here. Add marketing to the list.

The biggest reason I get told around here is (Quote: I pulled enough calves out of hereford bulls in the early eighty's and late 70's so why would I buy another one. ) Another is bad eyes they all have bad eyes.

Yet the same guy who told me that is wanting a hereford bull now.

I get told all the time how good my grandads bulls were and to bad he didnt live longer because we would have used a bull from him. I now have started seeing some interest in bulls that I am raising. I wouldnt sell a bull to a guy because I felt he wasnt good enough. After seeing what he brought home I wish I would have sold him a bull.

JHH":3q84mzk2 said:
The biggest reason I get told around here is (Quote: I pulled enough calves out of hereford bulls in the early eighty's and late 70's so why would I buy another one. ) Another is bad eyes they all have bad eyes.Yet the same guy who told me that is wanting a hereford bull now.

I get told all the time how good my grandads bulls were and to bad he didnt live longer because we would have used a bull from him. I now have started seeing some interest in bulls that I am raising. I wouldnt sell a bull to a guy because I felt he wasnt good enough. After seeing what he brought home I wish I would have sold him a bull.

i dont have any experiance with them myself and was looking at some for cows but around here i get told by almost everyone that they have problems with pink eye, foot rot, and milking. also get told alot that if they wanted to pull that many calves they would use a char bull and get the growth. but most these poeple havnt been around them as long as i can remember.

I hope everyone voting has at least calved some and not just going on what there Uncle's third cousin saw at his sister-in-law's neighbors place back in the 60's. I had some Hereford cows that were as bad as any in the 80's and have baldy cows that are as good as any now. We use Hereford on black cows to correct the problems that the Angus have-I didn't vote because there really isn't a reason I won't use one because I like to feel I research my bull purchases enough to avoid all the problems of yesteryears. In fact I'm looking for someone to A'I some Angus cows to Horned Hereford bulls-there is a bigger demand for the 'right' kind of Baldy heifers than there is heifers to fill it. If anybody is interested pm me-straight Hereford cows bred black would work too-it doesn't matter on what side of the border. There is a premium involved for the F1 heifers. I think the Hereford breed has got to go back to focusing on making cows instead of trying to outmilk simmentals and out grow Charolais. Anytime you carry a pail of corn past a pig, a chicken and an ethanol plant to give it to a cow your going backwards. I don't have a stitch of Hereford heritage in me-in 94 years on this place I'm the first one to run Hereford bulls but I did figure out they are a main ingredient in some practical F1 cattle. Due diligence is the order of the day in any genetic decision!

I think the Hereford breed has got to go back to focusing on making cows instead of trying to outmilk simmentals and out grow Charolais.

Absolutely correct! :clap:

Using extra WW or YW as an excuse to justify extra BW (or using extra WW as an excuse for the feedbunk full or corn) is simply wrong for the breed, it is still our responsibility as breeders to resolve the problems of the past and the perceived problems of the past.

donnaIL":367tj9db said:
I like them, but the market pays less around here. Add marketing to the list.
That's anther good one, I would like to have reds or whites around here but they don't sell like blacks do. ( and plus other factors I don't have herefords)

KNERSIE":367tj9db said:
I think the Hereford breed has got to go back to focusing on making cows instead of trying to outmilk simmentals and out grow Charolais.

Absolutely correct! :clap:

Using extra WW or YW as an excuse to justify extra BW (or using extra WW as an excuse for the feedbunk full or corn) is simply wrong for the breed, it is still our responsibility as breeders to resolve the problems of the past and the perceived problems of the past.

That's a good point, it's like simmy's are trying to get shorter and have better BW by crossing with angus, but then end up with lower WW and YW. So I quess they think you have to give up something to get something. :?

Northern Rancher":3gfh370a said:
I hope everyone voting has at least calved some and not just going on what there Uncle's third cousin saw at his sister-in-law's neighbors place back in the 60's. I had some Hereford cows that were as bad as any in the 80's and have baldy cows that are as good as any now. We use Hereford on black cows to correct the problems that the Angus have-I didn't vote because there really isn't a reason I won't use one because I like to feel I research my bull purchases enough to avoid all the problems of yesteryears. In fact I'm looking for someone to A'I some Angus cows to Horned Hereford bulls-there is a bigger demand for the 'right' kind of Baldy heifers than there is heifers to fill it. If anybody is interested pm me-straight Hereford cows bred black would work too-it doesn't matter on what side of the border. There is a premium involved for the F1 heifers. I think the Hereford breed has got to go back to focusing on making cows instead of trying to outmilk simmentals and out grow Charolais. Anytime you carry a pail of corn past a pig, a chicken and an ethanol plant to give it to a cow your going backwards. I don't have a stitch of Hereford heritage in me-in 94 years on this place I'm the first one to run Hereford bulls but I did figure out they are a main ingredient in some practical F1 cattle. Due diligence is the order of the day in any genetic decision!

calved first ones this year. hereford sired anyways. didnt vote myself though just thought would say what i was told about them.
F1 heifers though the only other comment i have ever heard about hereford besides what i said earlier is best for crossing with angus cause then you have yourself some could heifers.

There is no telling what you could sell a good set of black baldie females for right now down here in Texas. They are few and far between with premium written all over them.

Latest posts