Poll: Economic forecast for America by CT Members

Help Support CattleToday:

What is your economic forecast prediction for America?

• We have recovered and are full steam ahead

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We are starting to see recovery

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • We will begin recovery in 2010

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • We will begin recovery in 2011

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We will begin recovery in 2012

• We are still in a recession

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • We are starting into a depression

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • I'm circling the wagons / Battening down the hatches

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • None of the above

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grannysoo

Reaction score
A less than scientific poll about where CT members think the financial/economic status of our country is at. Please vote your opinion.

Wish I knew where it was headed. Their is much going right but just as much going wrong, maybe more. Hunkering down and looking out for myself seems to be the prudent thing to do. I doubt the government will or can fix anything. Passing out lollipops to keep the kids quite and busy isn't going to work in the long run. Plus look out when the sugar kicks in.....

I voted circling wagons. Not sure what it means but it sounds like a good western movie when they go defensive.
On the other hand, if it means the same as batten down the hatches, then that's where I stand.

Circling the wagons means to defend from attack or to stop communicating with people not in your group in order to avoid their ideas or beliefs. That's a weird choice for an answer.

I think most folks are in a holding pattern at this point. The devalued dollar is a bad situation with no end in sight. If people and businesses are in a wait and see holding pattern the employment situation will not improve.

Walt

Ryder":2pg1fh43 said:
I voted circling wagons. Not sure what it means but it sounds like a good western movie when they go defensive.
On the other hand, if it means the same as batten down the hatches, then that's where I stand.

That was the way it was intended, same as batten down the hatches.

Goldman Sachs earnings out tomorrow. Should be enormous. We have to let the big boys make money before the little boys make money. People will figure this out after we pull out of the depression we are going into. For now, we are going through a stage were wealth is being dispersed to the poorer people. We all know poor people can't hire workers.

circle the wagons, thats the ticket...the way it should always be...Be prepared,do not over step you bounds...cover ones butt.. let the fools be your cannon fadder...I took a hard hit in 2001 , that settled it for me, I buy land and keep 5 years of taxes in cash in reserve....Lots of ammo just so I can eat..I still live in a pretty low denisity area,, lots of game and fish...on my land..

I don't usually can stuff out of the garden- it takes too much time for right now- and I can buy it cheaper(if you count my time as having value)
But I went to an estate sale this summer and they sold all kinds of canning stuff and I bought every bit of it and stored it in the shed.
I am circling the wagons

We have circled our wagons and battened down the hatches. We have a trucking business as well as a cattle ranch.
Trucking freight is down and small companies are having their throats cut by the fighting over ANY available loads.
The prices being paid to truckers is atrocious, rather than the freight fees being good because of so many companies
going out of business and going broke, they are throwing out scraps and watching the dogfight!!
we are lucky because we have a couple of dedicated runs but we can tell business is slow for our freight customers too.
Less tonnage going down the road. Also, much less available for extra hauling.
My husband does most of the mechanic work himself, we are lucky to have a big truck shop that we purchased from my in-laws along with the ranch, that keeps down a LOT of our costs.
I recently purchased some commercial hereford cows but I had planned out that purchase and had the money set aside.
I think of them as in investment and not a luxury.
Thank heavens my husband and I aren't into spending a lot unnecessarily.... a lesson that our kids still need to learn!!
We fix, we fix again, we make do or do without. Besides, I LOVE shopping in the thrift stores!! :D

HerefordSire":3mobsk3r said:
The 21 votes are startling.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Manure. This is the half dozen or so people with multiple Cattle Today accounts who continually try to scare everyone else. It's actually shocking that you don't have 100% agreeing that we're doomed, doomed, I say!!!! :roll:

Frankie":9ihwac7w said:
HerefordSire":9ihwac7w said:

Manure. This is the half dozen or so people with multiple Cattle Today accounts who continually try to scare everyone else. It's actually shocking that you don't have 100% agreeing that we're doomed, doomed, I say!!!! :roll:

Really? I only have 1 account.

Scare everyone? Not me.

I'm not surprised at all by the results.

LazyARanch":26qrhv9c said:
Less tonnage going down the road. Also, much less available for extra hauling.

And much less tonnage on the tracks too. Everywhere around, there are empty train cars parked on side tracks. Some of the empty cars are even being run with the trains because they don't have enough places to park them.

The number of locomotives that are parked is amazing......

Frankie":2h509s5h said:
HerefordSire":2h509s5h said:

I had no idea there were posters with multiple accounts being used on a regular basis. I knew it was possible. I voted for entering into a depression which is currently not the majority, but the last two options are overwhelmingly the majority which surprises me greatly becasue I thought of myself as one of the main bearish people on these boards.

HerefordSire":dlq64pg4 said:
I had no idea there were posters with multiple accounts being used on a regular basis. I knew it was possible. I voted for entering into a depression which is currently not the majority, but the last two options are overwhelmingly the majority which surprises me greatly becasue I thought of myself as one of the main bearish people on these boards.
Probably because most here might be in a better position to weather the forecasted demise, they know the meaning of saving for a rainy day, and have taken actions in the past to insure the future. Quite frankly, I'm not in the mode to gain further riches, I'm looking for the opportunity to hold on to what I have.

I hope I didn't scew the results being a Canadian and voting. I also only voted once and with the majority. I am holding onto what I have ,we lost quite a bit with the SMC. Even though employment numbers are up higher for us than earlier predicted a small fall and we will be in dire straits again. The cattle market has had it, especially with the drought ,2 Big PB producers by me who have been in the business for 3-4 generations are dispersing. Everywhere you look around here there are dispersal's BUT no buyers. The oilfield is still dead ,it is picking up some but when those companies that did 30-40% layoffs and pay cuts get back to where they were and the ones that just locked their employees out, open their doors ,then I will believe that we are moving forward again.

So no new car for me or any other non necessities until I have proof that things are changing ,I am am hanging on tight and pinching pennies.

I should have voted non of the above because I believe that we will see some huge improvement and than completely bottom out, worst than what has been predicted.

I didn't vote cause I honestly don't know. I'm coasting right now due to past momentum and I hope to put it in gear by next year but if not I guess I'll be circling a wagon if I have one to circle.

HS Battening down the hatches isn't nessecarly bearish. I just demonstrates the need and wisdom to hold in reserve the assets needed to fight another day under better circumstanses.

Jogee, welcome to camp. Did you bring Wilbur? :p

Latest posts