Poll about Angus cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle are they any good?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• Never use them because of their temperament.

• Never use them because they are poor mothers.

• Never use them because they are not good weight gainers

• Angus breeders are more biased than other cattle breeders?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Colin Chevalley

Reaction score
Angus cattle poll, we are constantly bombarded by those that love and breed Angus cattle. I would be interested to see whether there are as many that like them by way of a poll.
No scientific research just interested.

I voted yes but Angus cattle are like any other breed or cross, some are good, some are not. I've seen herds with better cattle and genetics than ours (We're fixing that as we go.) and I've seen herds that I wouldn't trade our worst cow for their best!

Howdy,
You hit the hammer right on the nail. I voted no because of their temperment, but you should of put no because all of the above, they aren't good mother, angus people are biast, their temperment, etc..
Well bye,
:cboy: Ellie May :cboy:

Even I'm not a Black hide breeder I'm crossbreeding several Romagnolas cows with Angus (Red & Black) and even I vote NO I think that truely a bit of Angus blood will help with back fat and marbling, but remember hide color does not grade. If it is Black it should be of a proven Black Angus to really grade but if not just forget to go Black.

Colin Chevalley":2dudft8g said:
Angus cattle poll, we are constantly bombarded by those that love and breed Angus cattle. I would be interested to see whether there are as many that like them by way of a poll.

I voted yeas. To most of the comments made by others, I don't comprehend what gives with some of these folks opinions. We have several Herefords that have poorer disposition, nearly like Limousin. They'll be leaving for the backgrounder shortly. We have angus that are just as good sipositioned as Herefords. I even saw a Limousin that was like a big puppy. As to maternal, gaurding their calf, settleing at first servcie, cycling with a couple of weks of calving, raising a large calf, what can be more maternal then that. As to bias, the reason you experience so many people that are biased towards angus is because there are more of them. If you market for red meat (Yield grade) angus won;t fit, if you breed for carcass quality (carcass grade) Limousin won't work (only an example, most of the continentals won't grade as high).
If you have poor dispostion cull and select with disposition in mind. If you don;t have the maternal, cull and select for maternal. This ain't rocket science folks. If you have a cow that's mean as the devil, jumps fences, abandons her calf, only calves every 18 months- What are you keeping her for.
My old mentor, may he rest in peace, wouldn't keep a calf from a cow that had a problem with calving with normal sized calve, didn't start cycling within 30 days, or took more then two breedings to conceive. This was a dairy milking 600 head back when that was considered huge. He only replaced less then half a dozen cows a year. Those were generally from production problems in their old age. Ocasionally injury. The average age of the cows in his herd, remember these are Holsteins was 10-12 years old. Rarely did he pull a calf and other then the occasional freemartin, nothing ws culled for lack of fertility. Yes it takes time, but in the long run it doesn;t cost it pays.
Off the soap box now
Overall though, other then Gyr I would have to say that Herefords are the best dispostioned.

dun

i didn't vote, our cows are commercial, tiger stripes, brangus, and Heinz 57. now i will tell you that a cow that does not produce goes to the sale. in our area black hides bring the most money when you sell your calves. the continental breeds will wean a little heavier calf, the won't bring as much as the black calves though. as high as feed is, fertilizer, diesel, minerals, vaccines, ear tags, and every thing else that goes along with having cattle, you have to do what you can to get every possible dollar you can from your cattle you sell. if the buyers start paying more money for zebra colored cattle, i will get a zebra colored bull, but right now the black calves sell best, and so we run black angus bulls. as far as desposition is concerned, there is nothing more snakey than a limousin, and a charlois is not far behind.

There was a time when anything black and Beef was probly a Black Angus, that is not true today. Many beef cows that are black are perceived to be angus, but are not or only part. I do not see angus as mean, An anyone that does well just have not seen my cows. My Black angus are good cows, with all the good traits of any breed(excluded warm weather breeds)some good and some bad. I am bias, I have not see ever Black Or red angus in the world, But the ones I have raised are the best. They are tame and come when I call, But when working large animals you can get hurt...Dun saies it best, Black Power saies it the Strongest, I just say I do Not care what breed you raise for Beef, Use a Black Angus bull and make more money... There are probly 10 times the Black Angus cattle breeders in U.S.A. as anything and everything else..If they were not good then someting else Like Herefords could be the largest breed. So when you few people want to Bad mouth Black Angus , look around and stop and wonder why the are so many black cows and so few of what you raise...Maybe your are right and everyone else is wrong,I do not think so...ALF....

hey everyone, i voted yes although we don't have any angus cattle. just because we don't own any doesn't mean i don't think they're good.

i just wanted to point out to those supporting their disposition that there was only 1 person on the poll who said they think they're not good cattle because of disposition. as for bias, after reading this forum, they're probably no more biased than any other breeds. people raise what they like.....of course they're biased.

A. delaGarza":3abk3gh5 said:
Even I'm not a Black hide breeder I'm crossbreeding several Romagnolas cows with Angus (Red & Black) and even I vote NO I think that honestly a bit of Angus blood will help with back fat and marbling, but remember hide color does not grade. If it is Black it should be of a proven Black Angus to really grade but if not just forget to go Black.

Colin Chevalley":3abk3gh5 said:

I did not vote in time I guess. I would have voted yes. Never have had any problems with my "pure " Angus cows. Have had some crosses with continental breeds befor that would get in your pockets. I use angus bulls on my cross cows and get very good results. My father has nothing but ANgus and he loves them and usually get around a 90- 95 % some times 100% crop.

Ellie May":27c5rsdw said:
Howdy,
You hit the hammer right on the nail. I voted no because of their temperment, but you should of put no because all of the above, they aren't good mother, angus people are biast, their temperment, etc..
Well bye,
:cboy: Ellie May :cboy:

That is one reason the Brangus breed was developed. It included the good trates of the Angus and the outstanding temperment, easy calving and mothering ability of the very hardy Brahman. (3/8 B X 5/8 A)

heck, my black angus heifer (15 mos) eats cubes right out of our hands! She's just as gentle as can be. Gonna breed her next month, but I heard her mama had very good maternal instincts.

YES! Our Red Angus are outstanding! Gentle, maternal, efficient grazers, and delicious! I can't speak for anyone's animals other than ours, but who needs to? Our herd speaks for itself. It is profitable and easily managed.

Sure glad to see another Red Angus person. It's been pretty lonely with just TOD and I

dun

fellersbarnoneranch":2vowuchi said:
YES! Our Red Angus are outstanding! Gentle, maternal, efficient grazers, and deliscious! I can't speek for anyone's animals other than ours, but who needs to? Our herd speaks for itself. It is profitable and easily managed.

I would have selected "Angus breeders are more bias than others" in this polls. I have nothing against Angus cattle itself, but against their Angus breeders who will slip a pretty penny to brainwash the public. Commerically, Angus cattle excels very well on the range...they are good mothers, milk just right, do great in crossbreeding, fair disposition (too many ranchers are getting into the black hype that they forgot to look into disposition! Besides, the Angus of today have the Chi blood that makes them a bit nutty), weans good calves, etc. I prefer Brangus over Angus, my eyes melt when I see those newborn calves with their floppy ears hehe.

i like the angus breed. i have a few hereford heifers ibreed to red angus.also have some black baldies sure cant wait for them red baldies.seen pure breed red angus at the farm show and loved the LQQKS

D.R. Cattle":2wli0a3h said:
Can't wait to see the newest round of replies on this subject.

all i wanted to say is good to have you back Blackpower. haven't seen you much since the new boards were started. nice to see that your mom must have finally gotten time to explain how to use them. :D

Latest posts