Poll about Angus cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle are they any good?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• Never use them because of their temperament.

• Never use them because they are poor mothers.

• Never use them because they are not good weight gainers

• Angus breeders are more biased than other cattle breeders?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good to Have you around B.P. although I would be one of your hobbie farmers. I do not have 10,000 ar. out west just a 100 on the east side of the Mississippi. My Black Angus and their crosses Have good grass and water just 3 to 5 hundred yards away at all times. If I could do a little more MIG I might get to a holding rate of a pair to the acre year around. Just wish I could reduce my Hay useage. More wheat and rye.. But if my cows are not half angus their offsprings will be. ALF.. I do not care what kind of cattle you raise, Use a Black Angus bull this year and make more money the next year. I do not produce seed stock, just know the value of good animals...

Hey BP have you ever considered the idea of using your knowledge (if you have any) to help others who don't know as much about the industry? I know that's an earth shattering idea, but you should consider it. And since you live in the greatest place on Earth and raise the greatest cattle on Earth, there's probably no limit to what you have to offer.

What is "Mexico's be nice"? As long as you mention it, I am involved in citrus also. Just about every ranch in Central to South Florida is. It's called diversification. Hey aren't you part of that Earl Henderson outfit out of Alliance? I need to have a talk with your father boy before you go and ruin something for him.

About a month ago Blackpower entered one post that gave me some hope that perhaps he was maturing and growing up a bit but, alas, his recent postings have provided clear documentation (hard facts as he likes to call them!) that he is simply a complete ASS, with little or no hope of redemption.

He's a kid that does know a little about the cattle business; but, take him out of his provincial environment in the Sandhills and put him into just about any other venue and he would no doubt be an enormous failure, as he seems to have no interpersonal skills, tact, etc. From the cattle business standpoint, he's a member of the "lucky spem club", having been born into the business and "grown up" (and I use that term very loosely) on a cattle ranch, and gets to manage a small herd of his own in addition to his daddy's cattle. I am very doubtful that he could ever have done much of anything, even in the cattle business, on his own. And I'd almost bet that he gets his ass kicked on a fairly regular basis by some of the fine folks in Nebraska; he should stay on the ranch because he sure as hell wouldn't remain unscathed for very long in any major urban area!

I still wish he would give us the geographical boundaries of "real cattle country" as another poster requested a couple of months ago. The cattle business doesn't revolve around the Nebraska Sandhills, as he seems to think. And I don't know what he considers to be the "South" but I rather believe that quite a few people DO care about what goes on in the cattle business down south. Perhaps he should do a little checking and find out how many cattle are raised in Texas, Okla., Missouri, La., Miss, Ky., etc. What goes on down south does have a pretty profound effect on the cattle business and, therefore, on his and his daddy's business.

Anonymous":141xbskf said:
About a month ago Blackpower entered one post that gave me some hope that perhaps he was maturing and growing up a bit but, alas, his recent postings have provided clear documentation (hard facts as he likes to call them!) that he is simply a complete ASS, with little or no hope of redemption.

He's a kid that does know a little about the cattle business; but, take him out of his provincial environment in the Sandhills and put him into just about any other venue and he would no doubt be an enormous failure, as he seems to have no interpersonal skills, tact, etc. From the cattle business standpoint, he's a member of the "lucky spem club", having been born into the business and "grown up" (and I use that term very loosely) on a cattle ranch, and gets to manage a small herd of his own in addition to his daddy's cattle. I am very doubtful that he could ever have done much of anything, even in the cattle business, on his own. And I'd almost bet that he gets his ass kicked on a fairly regular basis by some of the fine folks in Nebraska; he should stay on the ranch because he sure as hell wouldn't remain unscathed for very long in any major urban area!

I still wish he would give us the geographical boundaries of "real cattle country" as another poster requested a couple of months ago. The cattle business doesn't revolve around the Nebraska Sandhills, as he seems to think. And I don't know what he considers to be the "South" but I rather believe that quite a few people DO care about what goes on in the cattle business down south. Perhaps he should do a little checking and find out how many cattle are raised in Texas, Okla., Missouri, La., Miss, Ky., etc. What goes on down south does have a pretty profound effect on the cattle business and, therefore, on his and his daddy's business.

I sincerely believe that the best beef genetics come out of herds in Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota, and especially Montana. Montana cattlemen do more with less than any breeders in the country. You do see some southern cattlemen come up to my area to buy bulls but they usually come with big pockets of cash from oil wells. They buy expensive bulls, i guess they drive all the way up here because the quality can't be found down south?????

BLACKPOWER":1jploonk said:
Hesston crap and emu hatch.

for the record, never owned either one, although i wish i would have had about 200 pairs of emus before the craze started & then liquidated. then i could probably afford to ranch like you seem to think we do down here. (i.e.: losing money)

BLACKPOWER":y5knrncq said:
I sincerely believe that the best beef genetics come out of herds in Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota, and especially Montana. Montana cattlemen do more with less than any breeders in the country. You do see some southern cattlemen come up to my area to buy bulls but they usually come with big pockets of cash from oil wells. They buy expensive bulls, i guess they drive all the way up here because the quality can't be found down south?????

you mention herefords frequently. have you ever heard of star lake cattle company? barber ranch? b&c cattle company? tennessee river music? boyd beef cattle? in case you haven't, these are all southern breeders (& i can name more if you want). as for why cattlemen drive north (& possibly why many people drive south).....ever heard of outcrossing? yes, we've a.i.'d and purchased northern-bred bulls as well as southern-bred & home-raised. we've been to sales in montana, wyoming & dad's planning to go to s&s this year. pockets of cash from oil wells? i wish.

you talk about cattle from the south. have you ever visited the south? i encourage you to do so if you haven't. you might be pleasantly surprised. let me know if you plan to do so & i can name some good ranches to visit. now would be a good time.......56 degrees.

Just to get the facts right: All of this started because a girl with a llama said she didn't like Angus? Other than that, most have never made negative comments about them. Most of us use them or wish we could. It's a real simple point. BP gets his kicks by trying to make all others feel inferior to him. He's on an ego trip. His intelligence level is noted most recently by the beligerantly drunk statement. Biligerant being a favorite attitude of his obviously. We are dealing with an ignorant punk here folks. Don't take anything personally, just consider the source.

I will have to say that I have stopped using Registered Angus Bulls and start using a Limousin or Gelbvieh. I have found out that Angus bulls have that chance to through out big headed calves with block heads and that hurts your heifers or cows. I had to pull 10 calves last year and a day later we lost everyone of those cows and heifers. The bulls were sold at the livestock auction. Need I remind you that they had low birth weights. Angus isn't everything, the only reason that they our such a popular breed is because of advertising. I asked my local butcher what carcass dresses out the best and he said a Hereford. So, Angus aren't the best in my theory.

Matthew Frye
If you want to send me a email about what I just posted email me at [email protected].

Thanks!

Matthew Frye":rrgt2jrh said:
I will have to say that I have stopped using Registered Angus Bulls and start using a Limousin or Gelbvieh. I have found out that Angus bulls have that chance to through out big headed calves with block heads and that hurts your heifers or cows. I had to pull 10 calves last year and a day later we lost everyone of those cows and heifers. The bulls were sold at the livestock auction. Need I remind you that they had low birth weights. Angus isn't everything, the only reason that they our such a popular breed is because of advertising. I asked my local butcher what carcass dresses out the best and he said a Hereford. So, Angus aren't the best in my theory.

Matthew Frye
If you want to send me a email about what I just posted email me at [email protected].

Thanks!

I imagine the packers read all the advertising. that is why they pay a PREMIUM for ANGUS cattle. I understand that all the meat markets
are begging for some other beef, but the packers just won't buy it and
sell it to them, even though they can buy it $$$ cwt cheaper. Maybe your butcher should go tell the Major Packers how much money they are missing out on, by selling ANGUS BEEF

Damn them packers, anyhow.

la4angus":2406or2z said:
Matthew Frye":2406or2z said:

Matthew Frye
If you want to send me a email about what

I just posted email me at [email protected].

Thanks!

I imagine the packers read all the advertising. that is why they pay a PREMIUM for ANGUS cattle. I understand that all the meat markets
are begging for some other beef, but the packers just won't buy it and
sell it to them, even though they can buy it $$$ cwt cheaper. Maybe your butcher should go tell the Major Packers how much money they are missing out on, by selling ANGUS BEEF

Damn them packers, anyhow.

According to the Poll it looks like 65% are wrong.
You are in the more popular 35% that is right!!!

Lloyd

Wait a minute BP I'm from South Georgia & I think we have some of the best cattle in the South.We get alot of people were you're from who come too buy cattle.

All the smart guys are getting out of black angus. Check out the dispersion sales. They will be investing in less over-rated genetics.

sammy":170zcmx5 said:
All the smart guys are getting out of black angus. Check out the dispersion sales. They will be investing in less over-rated genetics.

Who told you that?

sammy":2j8ty26b said:

If you look at who's "dispersing" it's all the oldtimers that are wanting to retire. Most leave the young stuff for their kids and sell the rest.

Jake":32c6jrvf said:
sammy":32c6jrvf said:

If you look at who's "dispersing" it's all the oldtimers that are wanting to
retire. Most leave the young stuff for their kids and sell the rest.

That is a far cry from all the smart guys getting out of the Blavk Angus Cattle business to invest in less over-rated genetics, which is what
sammy posted.
What you are saying happens all the time. There is nothing new here.
The same thing is happening in the cattle industry as a whole. This will happen this year, next year and for the rest of your life. Big deal.

Latest posts