Pole saws?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Been looking at the cheaper poles saws, Poulan Pro and Ryobi both about $200. Only one I have ever used is a Stihl but really can't afford the $600 price. Home Depot sells the Ryobi and I got a gift card for there but have no knowledge of them. Anyone out there ever use Ryobi?

All I know about Ryobi is they used to and still probably make excellent products

The coupler collar is junk. To much stress expands the crimped collar and it gets loose.
Mine is cold natured but someone that knew what they were doing could probably get it adjusted to run better.

1982vett":2hw9hfvy said:
The coupler collar is junk. To much stress expands the crimped collar and it gets loose.
Mine is cold natured but someone that knew what they were doing could probably get it adjusted to run better.

Actually considering the Ryobi more since I have a gift card to Home Depot and that is what they sell. Would not get a lot of use but would like to keep the limbs back on the field edges from hitting me and the tractor.

That is what I bought mine for. That and trim the ones swatting me in the face when I walk thru the yard.
This is what I found when looked at the Home Depot site.

This one shows 2 couplings. Can't really tell by the picture if they look stronger than the Poulan.

The Ryobi will do fine for you if you're not going to be using it a lot. If you are going to be a serious user of one of these types of saws, spend the $$$ and get an orange one. We've had one for several years and it has been fantastic. Pricey, but good.

I priced the stihl pole saws OUCH I have a nice 14" stihl chain saw so I took some wire, and a little duct tape and put it on the end of a 12' 2x4 and it works great, a little heavy though.
Just kidding, Merry Christmas everyone, and please remember the real reason for the season.
Mac

lilmac":8f3fwncq said:
I priced the stihl pole saws OUCH I have a nice 14" stihl chain saw so I took some wire, and a little duct tape and put it on the end of a 12' 2x4 and it works great, a little heavy though.
Just kidding, Merry Christmas everyone, and please remember the real reason for the season.
Mac

You got me on that one, I was thinking as I read your post, if this guy can handle a 14 inch chain saw on the end of a 12 foot 2x4, then I won't be messin with him :lol2: .

Larry

larryshoat":2zl3m20t said:
lilmac":2zl3m20t said:
Mac

You got me on that one, I was thinking as I read your post, if this guy can handle a 14 inch chain saw on the end of a 12 foot 2x4, then I won't be messin with him :lol2: .

Larry

Me too! I remember the first time (and last) I was talked into trying to lift a brick on a broom. Try it sometime and don't choke up on the broom handle.

Why not use a redneck pole saw I have seen a lot of them but have never tried them. One might work…

Chain saw strapped to the hay spear on a front end loader.
Guy standing in the bucket of a front end loader.
Ladder strapped to the bed of pickup with a guy on it.
Scaffolding strapped to the bed of pickup with a guy on it.

I know some of you can add to the list…

1982vett":2wjc855p said:

I have one of the pieces of junk poulans too. DO NOT BUY ONE. Mine will not run worth a crap and they have no adjustments on the carb that I can find. I will one day wrap mine around a tree. Take the money and put into a better one.

hayrack":39o5hlny said:
1982vett":39o5hlny said:

I have one of the pieces of junk poulans too. DO NOT BUY ONE. Mine will not run worth a crap and they have no adjustments on the carb that I can find. I will one day wrap mine around a tree. Take the money and put into a better one.

Makes me feel better now, I just thought I was to much of and engine blockhead to figure it out.

Or you could use the Swedish logger method.

Take your regular stihl chainsaw.
Cut the tree off about 12 inches above the ground.
Once the tree is laying on the ground remove all unwanted limbs.
Plant new tree beside stump of old tree.

No high reaching or other contraptions needed for this method.

Latest posts