pole saw

Help Support CattleToday:

weve used the elctric pole saw to trim limbs off of a tree.an it worked ok for that.it wont cut big limbs.by big limbs i mean thick.

If they're just general pole saw questions I have a Stihl. If it's specific to the poulon I can't help

I have a Sthil FS80R weedeater and bought the chain saw head attachment. It takes about 1 minute to swap the weedeater head to the chain saw head.

That way I can either eat weeds or saw limbs. ;-)

Nowland Farms":3jmv18tl said:
I have a Sthil FS85 weedeater and bought the chain saw head attachment. It takes about 1 minute to swap the weedeater head to the chain saw head.

I have a ryobi like that. Does a fine job around here but wouldnt go into the tree trimming buisness with it.

Cal

Just plan on trimming back around fields to save exhaust stacks ,sun shades and face and ears.Used to do it out of the loader bucket but I ain't as young as I was and another driver isn't always available.

mtncows":nffjjoyw said:
Just plan on trimming back around fields to save exhaust stacks ,sun shades and face and ears.Used to do it out of the loader bucket but I ain't as young as I was and another driver isn't always available.

I never realized I needed one till I got one and started using it. It's been a real boon when trying to clear spring poles that are 4 inches in diameter and 3-4 or more are all hung together. Just make sure you don;t pinch it. It's awfully hard to get it unpinched when it's 10 foot over your head. Just takes a bit more preplanning then using a saw at ground level.

Nowland Farms":1r06bchm said:
I have a Sthil FS85 weedeater and bought the chain saw head attachment. It takes about 1 minute to swap the weedeater head to the chain saw head.

Same here.
When you buy Sthil it is a long term investment.
I had one chain saw for over 20 years. It finally grew feet and I got another.
Pole saws are great for cleaning out briars and light brush on fence lines. Saves my arms.
I,ll have to remember to try that other pole Angus/brangus. Thanks

Angus/Brangus":2m1d4r4i said:
I've got the Poulan gas pole saw and it works pretty good. Can be disconnected easily into two pieces for easy storage. Good for branches up to about 5-6 inches. But, like Dun said, you get it pinched way up high it can be a bear to get it unpinched. This why I also carry a telescopic pole that has a hook on it to help me with those wedged limbs.

I have the Poulan Pro yellow one also. Works fine but can be a little hard to start at times.

Speaking of Stihl, Steel, Still, or however you spell it, I needed a new chain saw and I looked at them and the Husqvarna. I decided I could buy almost 4 Poulan Pro's for the same money so I went Poulan again.

Stihl are some of the best made, especially the older ones. newer ones are getting more cheap made. I have had a poulan for over 15 years.. still runs great! Only had to change out the gas line once.
Also use a John Deere, and its been a really good one too.
Mostly just get up in the bucket of my front loader....to cut higher branches.

I figure I can pay for the saw in one year with the extra hay I can cut.THANKS for all replies.I can alwys count on the people on this board.

flaboy":3rkv3jbn said:
...Speaking of Stihl... I decided I could buy almost 4 Poulan Pro's for the same money so I went Poulan again.
I thought the same thing about my Craftsman - and I did! :shock: Went through 3 of them in 5 years (light-medium workload) before I finally went and bought a Stihl and haven't been sorry yet!

Limomike":2rn2hm4j said:
Stihl are some of the best made, especially the older ones. newer ones are getting more cheap made. I have had a poulan for over 15 years.. still runs great! Only had to change out the gas line once.

I used a Poulan for years on wood to heat the house. Heard how good the Stihl's were and spent $100 more on a saw that doesn't have the power my Poulan used to have. It's one of them new models and I am not very fond of it right now.

I went to buy the sthil and the price was pretty high. I bought an echo for about $200 less. I have a sthil chain saw and it is about 30 years old and still works well. Also have a amall echo saw that has been real reliable

Angus/Brangus":39ypz8mz said:
Limomike":39ypz8mz said:

Assuming that you are by yourself - how do you get in and out of the bucket once it's raised? Ladder?

Years ago when I did it I climbed over the hood and climbed into the bucket on the loader arms.

fit2btied":2nhrx5p1 said:
flaboy":2nhrx5p1 said:
...Speaking of Stihl... I decided I could buy almost 4 Poulan Pro's for the same money so I went Poulan again.
I thought the same thing about my Craftsman - and I did! :shock: Went through 3 of them in 5 years (light-medium workload) before I finally went and bought a Stihl and haven't been sorry yet!

I wouldn't own a Craftsman power or gas operated tool. Stihl may be good but but not 3-4 times better. Same size, same cut, same warranty?

I have a 15 year old green Poulan that I use for trimming the limbs once the tree is on the ground. A ten year old somone threw away and I put a new pull cord in it, and the new one. I will most likely stick with them.

mtncows":erfu3c38 said:
I figure I can pay for the saw in one year with the extra hay I can cut.THANKS for all replies.I can alwys count on the people on this board.
You may get a little extra hay but if you cut the roots as well you will get a lot of extra hay.

Angus/Brangus":11kq1izb said:
O.k. now Dun, tell the truth, how many times did you nearly fall on your rear doing this! :lol2: I'm guilty of this too. Climbing down the lift arms that are 10' up in the air is a dangerous proposition. I keep trying to rig something up to the control lever but it never works.

Without a calculator I counted keep track of the number. I've tried the control lever concept too. Rube Goldberg has nothing on me when it comes to bizarre contraptions, except mine never work as planned.

Angus/Brangus":zmt1rwo8 said:
Limomike":zmt1rwo8 said:

Assuming that you are by yourself - how do you get in and out of the bucket once it's raised? Ladder?

Yep, thats what I do..climb over the hood, and up onto the arms and into the bucket. quite the feat I must say.

Latest posts