Polaris Ranger vs. Kawasaki Mule

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
The wife and I are thinking of getting a side by side deal, main use will be spraying with a 65 gallon or so boomless sprayer and checking cows/fencing/goofing off. We went and drove just about every brand out there this weekend and liked the Polaris Ranger 900 and Kawasaki Mule Pro FX the best of any. There's things I like about both of them, so it's a tossup for me between the two. Only option on either will be power steering, I'll likely add/build a cab for it down the road.

Who here has experience with these models, and what troubles has either given you? I'd like to find a good used one if possible, but not completely ruling out a new one at this point.

Thanks.

With your long dam legs it isn;t an issue, but those of us of more normal height find it easier to load stuff in the mule because of the lower bed. Only draw back is you can;t zip around as fast on the mule. You've seen the kind of stuff we use our older mules for so you have seen what they are capable of as a working tool.
I always figured you would just use your useless nags for goofing off.

dun":vv60ydii said:
With your long dam legs it isn;t an issue, but those of us of more normal height find it easier to load stuff in the mule because of the lower bed. Only draw back is you can;t zip around as fast on the mule. You've seen the kind of stuff we use our older mules for so you have seen what they are capable of as a working tool.

The Mule Pros are pretty tall now dun, and they are plenty peppy. They still make an economy version that's set up like the older Mules.

Not sure you can go wrong with either. When I was shopping, the Ranger had the advantage of getting up to highway speeds, which was important for me since I have to travel on the road some. The Mule was also rougher riding around the farm. But I think the newer Mules addressed both of those things. The Mule, at that time, had a larger bed. Not sure about now. For the record, I've had zero problems with my Ranger other than self inflicted issues. If both have good dealer support, I'd say it's a toss up.

TennesseeTuxedo":2n287ku0 said:
dun":2n287ku0 said:

The Mule Pros are pretty tall now dun, and they are plenty peppy. They still make an economy version that's set up like the older Mules.
I may have to take a look at them. The bed height has always been the biggest advantage I've seen. Neighbor has a trans model and other then length it's just like our.

6 month warranty on polaris versus 3 year warranty on kawasaki.

I added the windshield, roof and power steering on my kawasaki. My favorite aspect of the kawasaki mule pro fx is the huge bed.

We have a couple Kawasakis at work. I haven't been impressed with them. For one thing, they're hard to start when the engine is cold. However, they're pretty old, so that issue may have been fixed.

Not on your list but I love my Honda pioneer. And it's very hard to argue with Honda's reliability.

Can fit a standard size pallet in back of mule pro too . Hard to beat the pro fit cabs and stuff on the rangers. Other than that the mule pro cant be beat right now . Polaris now has the ranger 1000

TennesseeTuxedo":3842xba9 said:
I have the Ranger XP. Got a really good deal on it used. My next one will be the Mule Pro FX.

Why do you say that?

kentuckyguy":1ebmgw2k said:
Not on your list but I love my Honda pioneer. And it's very hard to argue with Honda's reliability.

We had the highest expectations of the Honda unit, but I didn't care for the transmission at all.

I hunt, work, and play out of both. I own a Mule Pro FXT.

The Polaris will have more issues over its lifetime. I don't like the stall when you take off. Its a real PIA when you are spraying brush or backing up to trailers. Its not a smooth take off. I also don't like that when you put the Polaris in 4wd it waits for a tire to spin before it engages the front wheels. Then it also decide when to disengage it again.

The Polaris will be faster. It will have more leg room in the back seat but it will be longer also.

The Mule Pro is true to the Mule reputation. I flat out abuse mine and have had zero issues. The Mule Pro is smoother than the Polaris, has a longer warranty, and is a hair cheaper. Kawasaki sold me on the Trans mule a long time ago. Being able to have a back seat one minute then switch to a huge, full size, bed the next seals the deal for me.

Mule_zpsewvm1iim.jpg

You know we're big on Polaris, bought 2 new 1000's a few months ago; his is the Ranch Edition and the only upgrade I got from my old on was windshield wipers (power steering is a must!). But Hustler now has a UTV (they call it a MDV) and it's pretty impressive. Bare bones as far as extra features, only comes in diesel but the bed lifts up/down on hydraulics.
http://www.countrysidemotors.net/auto/n ... /18039768/

Brute 23":2m3keqrc said:
I hunt, work, and play out of both. I own a Mule Pro FXT.

The Polaris will have more issues over its lifetime. I don't like the stall when you take off. Its a real PIA when you are spraying brush or backing up to trailers. Its not a smooth take off. I also don't like that when you put the Polaris in 4wd it waits for a tire to spin before it engages the front wheels. Then it also decide when to disengage it again.

The Polaris will be faster. It will have more leg room in the back seat but it will be longer also.

The Mule Pro is true to the Mule reputation. I flat out abuse mine and have had zero issues. The Mule Pro is smoother than the Polaris, has a longer warranty, and is a hair cheaper. Kawasaki sold me on the Trans mule a long time ago. Being able to have a back seat one minute then switch to a huge, full size, bed the next seals the deal for me.

Mule_zpsewvm1iim.jpg
Those things aren't an issue with mine. Maybe a newer model?

GAonmymind brings up a good point. I never had any need for a warranty on my Ranger, but the 6 month thing is BS.

cfpinz":nfmycm17 said:
dun":nfmycm17 said:
I always figured you would just use your useless nags for goofing off.

I'm telling the wife what you called her...
I was talking about the horse, not your Sky that you call 3 horses, "nag, nag, nag"

The Ranger definitely has a jumpy start from a dead stop, either forwards or reverse. You can remedy that with an aftermarket clutch (Dura Clutch) but it's not cheap. I much prefer the Mule as an all-around UTV, and love the size of the bed. I'm surprised that the Ranger's bed is still so small, however they're due out anytime with the 2018 models and rumor has it they are making some changes.

Latest posts