Polaris 700 mileage

Help Support CattleToday:

danl

Reaction score
Does anyone on here have a 700 polaris atv?
gripeing about the gas mileage. He just checked it and he says it is getting 5 mpg. I told that it was impossible to be that bad.
I told him he forgot how to divide
My dad has one and keeps .

It looks like it would get better than that but I dont think 4 wheelers do very well on fuel. I have a honda rancher and run it every day feeding and it is in mud and all. I dont hardly ever get it in high gear and not on the road too much at times and when it is for only a quarter mile. It doesnt have a odometer on it so cant keep up with miles but I dont think it gets the greatest either. I do think it gets better than that. I had a 200X 3 wheeler before this and it got twice the mileage but was alot lighter too.

My 750 EFI Brute gets anywhere between 80 and 100 miles on a tank depending how i drive and I think it has a 5 gallon tank.

We run an '02 Kawasaki Prairie 400, all time 4WD. Bought it new. For the first couple of years it got 15 mpg. I think it has dropped a bit since then, but nothing like 5 mpg. At that rate, I wouldn't even buy one. :cowboy:

In calving season we put about 25-40 miles per week on our Yamaha 660 (way too big but that's another story) and it uses about 3 to 4 gallons/week. Better than my old '86 6.9 diesel that I've been using to feed lately. Here local the last tank came out to 5.7mpg, but most of that was in second gear.

I just noticed my post was sort of dissarranged, not sure how I did that. Or at least it sounded deranged which is more appropriate...

He just put new plugs in it and the old ones were black as coal. I think he has a fuel mixture problem. He bought an extended warranty on it and has had it looked at before, but I told him he needed to make them fix it.

I don't know why he bought such a large 4 wheeler, I told him he should have just bought a little truck. Part of the problem is, I think is he just putters around, never really revs it up at all. It has way too much power for what he uses it for.

danl":kkh84wqg said:
I just noticed my post was sort of dissarranged, not sure how I did that. Or at least it sounded deranged which is more appropriate...

He just put new plugs in it and the old ones were black as coal. I think he has a fuel mixture problem. He bought an extended warranty on it and has had it looked at before, but I told him he needed to make them fix it.

I don't know why he bought such a large 4 wheeler, I told him he should have just bought a little truck. Part of the problem is, I think is he just putters around, never really revs it up at all. It has way too much power for what he uses it for.

Could be the choke was on all the time.

I think your on the right track, black plug shows a rich mixture and the riding style. We have a few Sportsman 500s and the riding style makes all the difference. I "run" mine while my dad(78 yrs old) putts around on his. He is always complaining about how much gas he uses, <50mi/tank while I get 70-90mi/ tank consistantly on basically the same bikes.

I do a lot of trail riding often with large groups and it is well known that the larger Polaris machines do get lousy mileage. I don't really know why but I know most of the polaris riders bring extra gas for a full day of riding. I ride a heavy Arctic Cat 500 and it will get close to 20 MPG.

Latest posts