Poisonous snakes vs cattle quesion

Help Support CattleToday:

TheLazyM":3soz6cqr said:
The snakes venom glades put out enough to kill its pray.

According to everything I've read and seen, this statement is not 100% true. While it generally is true when it comes to a snakes natural prey, said prey is not several hundred times - or more - bigger than the snake is. According to the snake experts - when a snake encounters something that is much, much bigger than it is, one of three scenarious can happen - either the snake does not inject any venom (due to fear), the snake injects massive amounts of venom (again, due to fear), or the snake injects a 'normal' amount of venom (although I'm not exactly sure how to define 'normal in this instance). Back to you for rebuttal. :)

msscamp":1f1yd3ns said:
TheLazyM":1f1yd3ns said:
The snakes venom glades put out enough to kill its pray.

According to everything I've read and seen, this statement is not 100% true. While it generally is true when it comes to a snakes natural prey, said prey is not several hundred times - or more - bigger than the snake is. According to the snake experts - when a snake encounters something that is much, much bigger than it is, one of three scenarious can happen - either the snake does not inject any venom (due to fear), the snake injects massive amounts of venom (again, due to fear), or the snake injects a 'normal' amount of venom (although I'm not exactly sure how to define 'normal in this instance). Back to you for rebuttal. :)

This is how I understand it as well. If you simply walk up on one that is sleeping and you quickly disturb him he will not "have time to fill his syringe" he'll just pop you or lay low. This bite can be bad cause the poison is so strong but you didn't get a full dose. On the otherhand, if you go monkeying with one and he gets PO'ed you can literally watch his venom sacs swell. If he pops you in this condition, your in for 7-9 days at the hospital and about $18,000 out of pocket. I'm sure this type bite would kill a calf, dog, cow or whatever.

Doc told me that only 30% of the bites here are truly venomous while 90% of the venomous bites were in the face or hand and INVOLVED ALCOHOL.

Its worth mentioning, none of this applies to babies, they cannot control the amount and their poison is more neurotoxic at that age.

Jogeephus":3n4sxnvq said:
Doc told me that only 30% of the bites here are truly venomous while 90% of the venomous bites were in the face or hand and INVOLVED ALCOHOL.

90% INVOLVED ALCOHOL? :shock:
Maybe I shouldn't be out there in the corral wearing shorts in knee high buffalo grass after the evening deer hunt with a flash light and snake catcher (never any alcohol involved there! :lol: ). I turned around to my buddy (also not wearing appropriate gear for the game we were stalking) and mentioned this wasn't the smartest thing we had ever done! Killing em with a folding 110 buck probably wasn't too smart either! :D

Caught 10 rattle bugs in one evening 2 years ago during opening weekend of deer season (none of which were under 44"). :cboy:

So it must be true that the last thing you hear before a Texan dies is "hold my beer and watch this"!

earnhardtfan55":26oy1kzx said:
Jogeephus":26oy1kzx said:

Maybe I shouldn't be out there in the corral wearing shorts in knee high buffalo grass after the evening deer hunt with a flash light and snake catcher (never any alcohol involved there! :lol: ). I turned around to my buddy (also not wearing appropriate gear for the game we were stalking) and mentioned this wasn't the smartest thing we had ever done! Killing em with a folding 110 buck probably wasn't too smart either! :D

Caught 10 rattle bugs in one evening 2 years ago during opening weekend of deer season (none of which were under 44"). :cboy:

So it must be true that the last thing you hear before a Texan dies is "hold my beer and watch this"!

That's good. I fill up a cooler if you and your buddy want to go kill some time - I think we'd have some fun if it didn't kill us all. :lol:

earnhardtfan55":j1wccg1s said:
Jogeephus":j1wccg1s said:

Some cocktails and some Texas boys have often been a good story for the telling.

I have lost 5 steers in the last 3 years to snake bites "ferdelance" highly TOXIC !!! My guys have killed 23 of them in 5 years .... the longest one ive seen was close to 6 feet in lenght ...

47b7d806b3127cce86eb74fuz3.jpg

By gixxer750 at 2007-07-16

47b7d806b3127cce86eb740zn8.jpg

47b7d806b3127cce86eb74cem3.jpg

We had a Guernsey cow bit on the shoulder. figured the snake curled up for warmth, when she got up she must have stepped on it. It swelled up about the size of a baseball. Had 2 punctures. The swelling opened up at top, full of infection, finally healed up on it's own. left small scar.Never treated.