Poison Ivy

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
My wife got in poison ivy about a week ago, she had not had issues with it in the past, but by the next day she was breaking out. She has tried calamine lotion, and a product called Zanfel, to which it isn't improving. She tried to get in to see a doctor but they said it would be a few days, so we went to a walk in clinic, they thought she needed a steroid shot but were reluctant to give it to her, over possible side effects, so they recommended another type of crème. She wanted me to post on here and see what my farmer friends did for it if they have had it.

Ky hills":mo8o6x4p said:
My wife got in poison ivy about a week ago, she had not had issues with it in the past, but by the next day she was breaking out. She has tried calamine lotion, and a product called Zanfel, to which it isn't improving. She tried to get in to see a doctor but they said it would be a few days, so we went to a walk in clinic, they thought she needed a steroid shot but were reluctant to give it to her, over possible side effects, so they recommended another type of crème. She wanted me to post on here and see what my farmer friends did for it if they have had it.

personally I am not allergic to that or poison oak but my uncle was and would either use gas on it or Clorox and it cleared it right up. The Clorox was the first choice gas 2nd due to the smell im guessing.

I get it occasionally, but not as bad as 20 years ago. I'd just wait it out, and not take hot showers in the meantime (it makes the itching worse). The first time I got it I did get a steroid shot. I don't remember any side effects.

My sister got a bad case of it a few weeks ago that wound up getting infected, so tell her not to hesitate to go to the doctor if it doesn't get better soon.

I have rubbed gasoline on mine before it drys it up pretty good. If that's not your cup of tea get some athletes foot spray the powder kind it will help with the itching. Benadryl tablets help too. it has to run its course

In the past, when I would get it, it ould be so bad that it would "go systemic" and pop up everywhere and I would swell up and need Prednisone. Now, at the very 1st sign of it, I use the Zanfel, exactly as the label instructs. Sometimes I need to use it twice. But I have to say, since a pharmacist put one to that stuff, I have not needed to go to the Dr. I've been able to contain it right away.

I'm sorry to hear that the Zanfel hasn't worked. Some people try using the soap "Fels Naptha" that might help.

Workinonit Farm":1a9w48oj said:
I'm sorry to hear that the Zanfel hasn't worked. Some people try using the soap "Fels Naptha" that might help.
I thought I was the only one that remembered Fels Naptha soap

I get a rash every time I work in a certain section of shrubs in the lawn. Tried Zanfel and bleach to no avail. Best relief is from an OTC product called "Ivarest" Calamine based with Benzyl Alcohol and Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride.

I have used Ivarest to some degree of success. Used to be a product called Ivy Dry. Was a brown liquid that would dry it up right now, had tannic acid in it but don't know if you can get it anymore. Now I mostly use Childrens Benedryl Itch cooling gel. It's OTC and it works wonders for me. Clear gel that really does feel cool and stops my itch real quick. Calamine lotion never worked for me, this has camphor in it but the cooling of the gel really helps to calm the itch.

Thanks everyone, I hadn't thought about bleach or gasoline, but have heard others use bleach, or gasoline or kerosene for cleaning off.
I didn't tell every detail of the story earlier, partly because I considered it classified information, but my wife later told me I should tell it. The side effect that the doctor was concerned about was the possibility that my wife could be pregnant, and the steroid shot could affect the baby if she was. She wasn't, and later this evening after trying the recommended creme to no avail, we went back to the walk in clinic again. The doctor gave her the shot, and prescribed a 6 day supply of a steroid pill. We were very grateful, and as of right now she is watching tv, and says she feels somewhat better.

Can understand the "classified info" and I would not get a steroid shot if possibly preg. I would be careful of steroid shots as your immune system is compromised and it is easier to "catch a bug". Try the children's BENADRYL itch cooling gel. Everyone that has tried it tells me that it works for them too.

I scrub with bleach. Then shower thirty minutes later. It is hard on my skin, but not nearly as bad as the rash. Dries it right up.

I am very allergic to Ivy, Oak, and Sumac. Sumac being the nastiest plant I have ever encountered.

Go swimming in a pool as the chlorine helps dry it up. I have found that to be the almost as good as the pills from the doc.

A few days ago, my wife went to a walk in clinic and got a shot, and some steroid pills, after that and the first day of the heaviest dose of pills, she felt some better, but since it has still bad. Her arms are red and has red bumps on a lot of her body. She still has today and tomorrow doses of medicine, I think she should probably see a doctor. She is wondering if it is healing, but now worried about a skin infection, because the inflamed areas feel hot. This is 14 or 15 days since she came in contact with the poison ivy.

When I got into it, it took several weeks to fully heel. It was so bad on my hand, people thought I had burned it. Miserable. The calamine didn't work to much for the itching and I actually started to believe it prolonged the healing. I started putting very light coats of lotion or and then none at all. It may have been just me, but seemed to heel quicker once I stopped covering it.

Got it last November, Doc gave me prescription steroid cream. Worked pretty good. Saved it, works for chigger bites too.