Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac

Help Support CattleToday:

I get into the stuff at least once a year either cuttin firewood or patchin fence. the battle is on once the rash gets near my eyes I give up and go to the doctor. I have had enough steroid shots to become the next home run king, but it knocks the rash out every time so far

hillbillyhammer":30buodtl said:
I get into the stuff at least once a year either cuttin firewood or patchin fence. the battle is on once the rash gets near my eyes I give up and go to the doctor. I have had enough steroid shots to become the next home run king, but it knocks the rash out every time so far
Is your nickname "Aunuld"?

Judge Sharpe":1k793ve3 said:
Our native Americans used the smoke from poison I've as a chemical war agent.

I never knew that. I guess there's a lot of truth to the old saying "Necessity is the mother of invention"

Judge Sharpe":m9cqgcny said:
Our native Americans used the smoke from poison I've as a chemical war agent.

Yep, the white eyes didn't have to fight 'um after they smoked the ivy. They just layed down and choked. :lol2:

As the originator of this post on poison ivy, I want to give you all an update.... I have just today stopped itching due to exposure to this #@*&!% plant. I've had it before years ago but never like this time! About 2 weeks ago my PCP told me to start taking a histamine or topical cortizone creme so I started taking Benydryl tabs. It seemed to help but only slowly. Finally, this morning, after 6 weeks, I noticed the itch is gone. GONE!!!

garyws":uaudv76t said:
As the originator of this post on poison ivy, I want to give you all an update.... I have just today stopped itching due to exposure to this #@*&!% plant. I've had it before years ago but never like this time! About 2 weeks ago my PCP told me to start taking a histamine or topical cortizone creme so I started taking Benydryl tabs. It seemed to help but only slowly. Finally, this morning, after 6 weeks, I noticed the itch is gone. GONE!!!

Scary. Congratulations though. I'm sure you feel relief like no other.

JMJ Farms":yfdm9pme said:
garyws":yfdm9pme said:

Scary. Congratulations though. I'm sure you feel relief like no other.

Much obliged! I'm almost afraid to get back to it and finish the project. But I know I will. I just gotta be more careful what I whack in to. :lol:

I wasn't allergic til I was fifteen, hauling firewood on a warm day and took my shirt off...... :?
Several years later we bought our farm and it was a poison ivy haven. My brother in law is a electric co-op lineman and told me he got poison ivy vaccine shots. So I did also for three years in a row then the government made them illegal...
The shots helped and even though it's been over twenty years I don't get it nearer as bad just a few itchy spots.
I don't know if this would help anyone else but I put Biofreeze on it as soon as it starts itching and it stops the itch and dries up the whelps in a day.
I accidentally figured out the Biofreeze, had some physical therapy on a shoulder and got it on the rash and it did more for the rash than the achy joint..

hillbillyhammer":2lf4xail said:
can you get Biofreeze over the counter?

My wife used to use Biofreeze for neck and shoulder pain. She says there is a non-prescription otc and a stronger prescription version.

The Biofreeze I got was on the counter at the physical therapist office, had a price tag and I just bought some. It looked like the same tube they were using on me, but I could be wrong... I have been, before. a lot...
It may not work for anyone else, so don't go out and deliberately roll around in a big patch just to see :stop:

Latest posts