Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac

Help Support CattleToday:

garyws

Reaction score
I want to share this in order to save some unsuspecting soul(like me)from tangling with this stuff. The Centers For Disease Control(CDC) website says that just about everyone is allergic to this stuff even though you feel sure you're not. Why? Because people's body chemistry changes over time and what you may not be allergic to this year may tear you a new one next year. So learn to identify the leaves(leaves of three leave 'um be).
I'm not yet rid of this crap and It's been 9 days ago and 2 trips to the doctor getting steroid shots and taking no-itch pills, and now, Prednisone.
I conracted it re-building an old fenceline, never suspecting the dried-up-looking vines I was lopping into would cause me so much grief. Being December, the vines have no leaves on them so whack away I go. The next day I knew what I'd done. Waited 2 days because I thought it may get better...WRONG...it got WORSE.

Here's what I suggest you do IMMEDIATELY if you even think you've been exposed to this stuff:
(1) Remove all your clothing (get to the house first) get in a shower, turn the shower temp onto the coldest setting you can possibly stand, and lather up with the grease/oil cuttingist soap you can find. Don't forget to shampoo your hair(if you have any). If the rash and blisters take over your scalp, it'll be hell. Don't take a hot, or evn warm shower because it might accelerate the reaction.
(2) Pat yourself dry with a towel, don't rub dry(especially if the rash and blisters have already shown themselves).
(3) Take all your work clothes which are, or may be, contaminated and wash them with plenty of HOT soapy water, being careful not to come in direct contact with any of the clothing. If you were wearing heavy boots that can't be washed in a machine, I don't know what to tell you except they WILL BE contaminated too so you're on you own, with the boots.
(4) Keep your hands away from your eyes and your private parts or you'll really be sorry(voice of experience). Wash under your fingernails where the devilish oil may be hiding.

That's my advice BEFORE you know you have it...when you think you've been exposed. After you are symtomatic, it's between you and your doctor.

Here are a couple of government websites(if you want to believe your government):

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/ForConsume ... 143611.pdf

The CDC site has info on what type of breathing apparatus should be used when burning brush that may contain toxic plants and vines. http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2010-118/

Wow, thanks for that. I fenced in it all day long. Vines of course, all leaves are gone. Even been lopping at them with a machete.

I got a good dose of it a long time ago and it doesn't bother me anymore. After this, I drank tea made from it and my body no longer reacts to it. BTW - the whelps on your skin have nothing to do with the contact location so I don't know why there would be any real concern on your private parts.

Never bothered me either. Sure hope it don't decide to start. Calamine lotion is your friend so I've heard. I have had people tell me they "accidentally" transferred it to their most private locations. ?

For most of my life, it didn't bother me. Then one day bam. I had been intentionally putting off this fencing project until snakes, and poison ivy was gone. I had on a coat, hopefully that helped.

Friend of mine moved to oregon some years ago and bought some acreage. Decided to clear some weeds and viney stuff. Chopped it own and built a huge pile. Waited for it to dry and then burned it. Breathed in the smoke and spent better then a month in the hospital because of the blisters in his lungs. Wasn;t aware of poison ivy/sumac/oak until then

dun":1jgjsrl2 said:
Friend of mine moved to oregon some years ago and bought some acreage. Decided to clear some weeds and viney stuff. Chopped it own and built a huge pile. Waited for it to dry and then burned it. Breathed in the smoke and spent better then a month in the hospital because of the blisters in his lungs. Wasn;t aware of poison ivy/sumac/oak until then

Wow what a learning experience. I have never heard of danger from burning it. Hope he overcame it ok.

Gotta be careful of burning it. Years ago I knew a guy who built a small fire under his poncho using poison sumac sticks and it messed him up good.

Jogeephus":1u7odwb4 said:
Gotta be careful of burning it. Years ago I knew a guy who built a small fire under his poncho using poison sumac sticks and it messed him up good.

Didn't know that. Got enough common sense not to do it on purpose but have piled brush from fencerows more than once and torched it without a thought. Will certainly be mindful the next time I do.

JMJ Farms":17okrckj said:
Jogeephus":17okrckj said:

Didn't know that. Got enough common sense not to do it on purpose but have piled brush from fencerows more than once and torched it without a thought. Will certainly be mindful the next time I do.
The smoke is the problem. Even if you don;t breath it in, just getting it on your clothes and skin can cause real issues. That is, if you are sensitive to it.

Tecnu works wonders, pulls the urushiol oil out immediately. Worth it's weight in gold. Used to be able to roll in the stuff when I was young, now I just look at it and it gets me to itching. The smoke is bad news (oils still in smoke).

I've only dealt with the poison oak but it was everywhere in CA. one of those huge vitamin C chewable tablets really helps. If i remember to take it ahead of time I can roll in the stuff even in the fall when it's worst.

j_20":17ulmr31 said:
bball":17ulmr31 said:
Tecnu works wonders, pulls the urushiol oil out immediately.

I'll second that, I always have that stuff handy

Never heard of Tecnu until now. The first time I got p.i. I was told to use Zanfel and it did it's job but this time when I used it I got impatient with it and went to the doctor instead.

If there is a next time I'll try Tecnu. Thanks for the tip.

By the way...if you like Roundup, you can use it on ivy and it will look like a dried-up prune the next day. That's in warm weather. Haven't ever used it in Winter. Also, I wouldn't say that the dead, dried leaves/vines are impotent.

garyws":1vmlwq96 said:
By the way...if you like Roundup, you can use it on ivy and it will look like a dried-up prune the next day. That's in warm weather. Haven't ever used it in Winter. Also, I wouldn't say that the dead, dried leaves/vines are impotent.

You are correct . The oil stays potent for upto 5 years!!!!