Points on barbed wire

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Most of the barbed wire I've seen used in my area is either 4 point Gaucho Hi Tensile 15.5 gauge or Red Brand 12 gauge with the hi tensile type becoming more popular.I haven't seen much 2 point wire of either type.
Is this regional thing or,for those who use 2 point,what is the advantage?

Two point is typically woven in between the two strands of line wire, and 4 point is not. The simple advantage is cost. 2 point weighs less, since there is less steel, which equates to a cheaper wire. I suppose the argument could be made that an interwoven barb couldn't slip, but a well made reverse twist 4 point won't slip, either. Based on what I've seen and heard the past couple of years, 14 gauge HT 4 point is quickly becoming the new standard of barbed wire.

All of my fence is 2 point and I'd guess that 99% of the other fences in the area are the same. hardly any gaucho used though.

I never used it except once when I picked up a couple rolls of 2pt by mistake, but maybe it is a little cheaper?...not enough to me to make any real difference in cost/ft tho.
(Just quickly looking at Bekaert's 15.5ga gaucho wire, the 2pt is $5/roll HIGHER at TSC, so it can't be a cost saving thing if those price comparisons hold true at other suppliers)
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catal ... pageSize:&

greybeard":1vldbqu8 said:
I never used it except once when I picked up a couple rolls of 2pt by mistake, but maybe it is a little cheaper?...not enough to me to make any real difference in cost/ft tho.
(Just quickly looking at Bekaert's 15.5ga gaucho wire, the 2pt is $5/roll HIGHER at TSC, so it can't be a cost saving thing if those price comparisons hold true at other suppliers)
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catal ... pageSize:&
Yeah,I noticed that,too.The 2 pt isn't available here.

Farm Fence Solutions":1kt3qddi said:
Based on what I've seen and heard the past couple of years, 14 gauge HT 4 point is quickly becoming the new standard of barbed wire.
I been reading about it with interest.Not around here that I know of.What is the price difference?

I admit the old style low carbon wire was easier to splice and seemed to make a wire gap that was easier to use since it didn't curl up when opened.But,when stringing wire by yourself,you can't beat the Gaucho way of unrolling with that handy "T" spindle someone makes and TSC sells.360963399 is the sku.

New Farm Easy Fence Unroller.Sold by kencove and other suppliers,too.

A couple years ago I bought a lot of wire to take over to the area of the Okanogan fires. The ranchers all used 2 point and that is what they wanted. The out let I bought it from sold it to me at cost because of where it was going. Their buyer told me that the 2 point cost them the same as 4 point. He said they sold the 4 point for more because people expect to pay more for it. This was on Red Brand wire. I very rarely see anyone using Gaucho wire. Western Washington is mostly 4 point wire. Eastern Washington is mostly 2 point wire. That could be because of the difference in size of the pastures. Westside is mainly 5 strand fences. Eastside is 4 strand and even lots of 3 strand fence.

As someone else said, the price on Gaucho is comparable between 2- or 4-point, so I suspect that's why not many people use the 2-point. I don't remember ever seeing any 4-point domestic wire.

I hope that trend is not catching on. I hate 4pt wire more than net wrap. I don't use gaucho at all. Its not worth it. I have used some heavy gauge, high tensile wire before and liked it.

It cracks me up that people think 2 more points are going to deter a cow. I carry old rolls of barbless wire like you would use on an H-brace for patching now. Its so much easier to not mess with the barbs at all.

Might have something to do with the humidity or air pollution here but low carbon wire rustd in just a few years.We put up some of our first hi-tensile barbed in 1985 and it's still not rusty.Some of the conventional wire which was put up at the same time has rusted long ago.The softer wire is much easier to work with.I can still splice it with just my hands and a pair of pliars on the main joint.Can do the hi tensile but can't make a nice job.

Rafter,it's funny how things differ.I've never seen but a little 2 point here.

Around here everyone uses 12g 2 point, rarely see 4 point and guacho is talked bad about. Allot of people are starting to use Stay tuff now days too. I've got several thousand feet to build now and am trying to talk myself into stay tuff.

Rafter S":1bm95pes said:
I don't remember ever seeing any 4-point domestic wire.
Really? I've bought lots of it even before we went fully to 4pt Bekeart Goucho..it's domestic too...made in Ky if I remember correctly..

greybeard":21uewscm said:
Rafter S":21uewscm said:
I don't remember ever seeing any 4-point domestic wire.
Really? I've bought lots of it even before we went fully to 4pt Bekeart Goucho..it's domestic too...made in Ky if I remember correctly..

Maybe I just never paid attention.

OK brand 4 point is good stuff.

Don't let a grass fire get to it JW Seems like grass fires ruin every type of wire I have ever used.

Latest posts