Pointers-First cattle Show

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
Our first show is fast approaching...and I want to make sure we've got all our P's and Q's in order.

Exhibitor is almost 9 years old. Heifer is a yearling, very very gentle, handraised. He practices leading and setting her up throughout the week to keep her fresh. anything else he should do? also grooms her daily. I got him some "revive" which he uses. heifer is slickcoated. will be showing in AOB and showmanship.

Show is "open", so Im sure he will have some tough competition, but this is mainly to test the waters and give him a taste of what showing heifers is about. Its a "Blow and Show" show..says no adhesives or paints...I know about that, the 4-h shows are like that around here as well. What about "oil"? Friend of mine gave me some "pink oil" and said Id need it if he was going to show.. :help: what is "pink oil"?

When squaring up a beef heifer, do you want the back legs square or do you want one offset, to show the judge the udder? do they even look at this? I remember hearing someone say this, but I cant remember if it only applied to dairy or also to beef.

He is also old enough to join 4-h and has joined the livestock club, so he will be around plenty of folks who have been doing this awhile and I hope this open show will be fun for him and he will want to do the 4-h county show in Feb. I dont forsee him doing this bigtime, but hoping this will be something he can throughout 4-h and FFA.

thanks
Sarah

Blow and go means no grooming products of any kind including pink oil.

The heifers are set up square when they are side by side (rear view towards center of ring).

Profile, they are set up with the right leg (towards the judge) set back slightly. It isn't to show the udder so much as to improve the topline, level of the croup and hip. It makes a prettier profile.

If you all can, watch several classes before your son's class so that he can see how the class is run and how the judge works.

Good luck and most important have fun!

And don't forget to take pictures. You know that they are a requirement here.
wink.gif

Profile, they are set up with the right leg (towards the judge) set back slightly. It isn't to show the udder so much as to improve the topline, level of the croup and hip. It makes a prettier profile.

I have been taught that you should have the back leg, on the judges side, should be square and the leg on your side should be slightly forward. Don't know if this was what you you were trying to say? Someone else wanna clearify?

so, for grooming, brush her out and can he use some revive on her the showday? or is that a no no too?

What is pink oil actually used for?

the leg position makes sense..

We watched the Archer Co show this past winter..kiddos led the heifers around while the judge watched them move, then had them line up in the middle while she individualy inspected each one. then she placed the class. we didnt see the beef showmanship, but saw the dairy showmanship..Its judged like a horse showmanship class? cleanliness and general apperance, plus the heifer's "Brokeness" to the halter and how she responds to the handler?

I am very nervous...I shouldnt be, but I am. :)

Show side slightly back on profile. Squared up on rear view unless you are on the end then set up like profile. Keep the calves head up at all times and use the whole ring, don't cut corners. Alway turn to the outside. Keep an eye on the judge and when he is on your calf, dont mess with him, even if he's off.

Latest posts