Pocket Gophers

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
There's so much talk about how destructive hogs are.

I'm not saying pocket gophers are as bad as hogs :oops:

I wonder how much these little critters have cost me over the years. :shock:

How wide spread are pocket gophers?

:mad: :mad: :mad: We have LOTS of them. I don't mind them out on the land (turning soil, feeding hawks and coyotes) - heck I don't even care about my little bit of yard lawn as I am not obsessive about such things, but I start getting on the warpath when those mounds show up near my fruit trees. Lost a 3 year old fig, just as it was starting to produce. I hate the little buggers then.

Years ago we were told that planting garlic around the trees and vines would keep the gophers away. Apparantly the ones we had were of Italian dscent because the garlic was the first thing to go. Didn't mess with the garden but they really cleaned up the garlic

Get a good momma cat. Dig the gopher mound and sit there with a 22 loaded with rat shot. Pop the gopher. You may have to sit there 10 minutes. Leave it there and go get the cat and put her on it. You may have to go through this routine a few times but before long the cat will dig the mound and wait on the gopher. You're done. Grandaddy always had a cat that would catch gophers.

I gave you a sure cure for your gophers. If you can give me a sure cure for feral hogs, I'll patent it and get rich.

backhoeboogie":jqbjrxz2 said:
I gave you a sure cure for your gophers. If you can give me a sure cure for feral hogs, I'll patent it and get rich.

Invite a bunch of hog hunters down from up nort and out west.
8) :D :shock: ;-)

Prairie dogs are pretty bad too. Tore up about 10-20 acres in our pasture. Poison oats works good. A .222 is good for them also.
I shoot the gophers with a single shot .22 gets you keyed in pretty well.

I love popping those gophers with 22 stingers.I read somewhere
some guy shooting prairie dogs at 1000+ yards with a 50 cal bmg.Wonder what would be the longest shot with a 22?Might have to try and see.

dewey":1pwn1d0g said:
try dropping a stick of juicy fruit gum near the mounds. then see if you notice any new mounds. ;-)

Have you tried this?? Please tell me that it works.....
somehow they can't digest it??

OK Jeanne,

my uncle used that Juicy Fruit trick and swore by it. he never had any mounds on his place. each time he seen one he would un wrap a piece of juicy fruit and drop it near the mound. he said it has to be Juicy Fruit tho they wont mess with any other. they eat the gum and it wont pass thru them is what he told me. we got alot of stray cats around the house they keep the gophers under control.

Latest posts