Poachers Dream

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Saw this on the way to work today. Gotta say a few dark thoughts did cross my mind but I didn't turn to the dark side but I'm sure there are some who might find this sight too much to resist.

There's a couple of elk farms here I go by all the time, makes me wonder why anyone would go to the expense of going west to hunt. If I want one I'll go buy it, go out in the field and shoot it.

I have two neighbors that farm elk. Both started as breeding for the antler, but when that market went sour, one of them went into the captive big game hunting. Bought a lot of land (2500 acres of prime river lots), put a fence around it and put his best bulls and cows into it. Built a mansion of a cabin on the place. Rents it out to American hunters. I think the last time I heard it was $3000/day to hunt some pretty impressive bulls.

These aren't hunted only raised as a hobby just for the heck of it. Hunting these is illegal here when pen raised and you can't sell the meat. These are mostly reds but there are fallow, elk and some other deer creature I forget the name of. Also have a few other oddities and am told he is wanting a giraffe. :lol:

Jogeephus":1c97xviq said:
These aren't hunted only raised as a hobby just for the heck of it. Hunting these is illegal here when pen raised and you can't sell the meat. These are mostly reds but there are fallow, elk and some other deer creature I forget the name of. Also have a few other oddities and am told he is wanting a giraffe. :lol:
Wow...hate to wake up with a giraffe standing outside my window. :lol2: :lol2: All those exotics are "open season" around here if they get out and are running wild. (Even the kangaroos Sky). :cowboy:

Not to change the subject...but did you ever capture that big buck laying dead in the woods you posted a few months ago?

TexasBred":398hndwc said:
Jogeephus":398hndwc said:
Wow...hate to wake up with a giraffe standing outside my window. :lol2: :lol2: All those exotics are "open season" around here if they get out and are running wild. (Even the kangaroos Sky). :cowboy:

Down here we would find out what they taste like if one got out.
Emu is not worth eating if you ever wonder.

Kingfisher":3fh0ud9m said:
Not to change the subject...but did you ever capture that big buck laying dead in the woods you posted a few months ago?

Not sure which one you are talking about. If it was the elk that was standing in the cotton .... its dead. Can't take credit for it though. I did have my chance with it standing broadside but I was standing on the edge of a state highway and I wasn't sure what the warden would think of my taking the shot. Tried him on phone but didn't get him till it was too late and I was disappointed to hear he would have wanted me to take the shot.

Apparently they prefer that you kill any escaped exotics even if it means violating a little rule like shooting from the road.

CB, I agree with you on Emu. I shot one a while back and I hade to see what all the hype was about. For anyone with any concerns about Emu's taking a share of the beef market should just set these concerns aside because there is not a chance of that happening. Stuff is horrid.

I can't imagine how bad Emu must be. The way I see it is, if Jo can't make it taste good it has to be terrible.

Jogeephus":2si17tuq said:
Saw this on the way to work today. Gotta say a few dark thoughts did cross my mind but I didn't turn to the dark side but I'm sure there are some who might find this sight too much to resist.

People can say what they want about high fence hunting, but that high fence hunting puts a bit of challenge into the whole affair. If you can't get your truck through a gate somewhere, it requires a lot of patience to wait for a trophy to come close enough to the perimeter to get your lights squared up on him without the shadow of a fence post or tree in the way, and perfectly timed to avoid passing traffic. Then you have to worry about shot placement, and with one of those fancy, high dollar, hog fence type setups, you not only have to account for the vertical wire but the horizontal (I assume with your record, this what deterred you? :hide: ) If you are able to navigate those obstacles, you then have a major problem on your hands, and that is how get your prize up and over that high fence, which won't be an easy task. It would be difficult enough with an average southern white tail, but when your talking larger species... that would be a whole nother matter. :cowboy:

Jogeephus":2si17tuq said:
Not sure which one you are talking about. If it was the elk that was standing in the cotton .... its dead. Can't take credit for it though. I did have my chance with it standing broadside but I was standing on the edge of a state highway and I wasn't sure what the warden would think of my taking the shot. Tried him on phone but didn't get him till it was too late and I was disappointed to hear he would have wanted me to take the shot.

I packed a cow elk out of the Rockies by myself one time, and from that point on, I formulated a shoot/don't shoot equation= I calculate the weight of the animal, the distance to the closest point a vehicle can be accessed and any grade on the route to that point. I would concur with the game warden, a elk in a level cotton field would be a shooter.

Commercialfarmer":247jtnl1 said:
(I assume with your record, this what deterred you?

No, the law would have been the least of my worries. I am sure you are aware there are some people you just don't mess with and he is one. Last couple of people who were stupid enough to poke a stick at him left town and won't even write home to their families.

Must admit I was tempted to get a ghillie suit and weave some soiled diapers and natural light cans on it and lay in the ditch and take some shots at them.

Kingfisher":247jtnl1 said:
I must have missed the Elk...;). This was a big 12pt that was laying dead but you were busy and it was stinking!

You must be talking about the one that snared its hind leg in the fence. Yeah, I went back and got him a few weeks later but I should have given him another week or so cause he was still rank. Very nice rack on him and its a shame he got tangled like he did.

Jogeephus":txugfqv7 said:
Commercialfarmer":txugfqv7 said:
(I assume with your record, this what deterred you?

No, the law would have been the least of my worries. I am sure you are aware there are some people you just don't mess with and he is one. Last couple of people who were stupid enough to poke a stick at him left town and won't even write home to their families.

Must admit I was tempted to get a ghillie suit and weave some soiled diapers and natural light cans on it and lay in the ditch and take some shots at them.

:lol: I like your ghillie suit idea, as many people that hunt off of right away's, you should definitely patent that!

Then you have to worry about shot placement, and with one of those fancy, high dollar, hog fence type setups, you not only have to account for the vertical wire but the horizontal (I assume with your record, this what deterred you? )

I was kidding about your record of misfortune hitting the strands in your fences with bullets, seemed like you posted a couple times. I thought maybe with the addition of verticle strands in that fence with potential bullet attracting properties, it might have deterred you. :D.
(I maybe remembering wrong. It may have been someone else and if so, this post won't make any sense and lose any attempt at humor. I've never previously appreciated how necessary historical verification is for a joke. I will need to do better leg work in the future.) :D

No, CF you are dead on. My bullets do have an affinity for wire for some reason. Only problem with your humor is you might want to dumb it down some as you may recall my saying I rode the short bus :oops:

I will confess that when wire isn't involved my bullets seem to fly a little truer. Just something about the wire that always screws me up. Oh, and water troughs when shooting coyotes. I don't know if its the steel or the galvanizing that throws the shot but there definitely something to it. Void of water tanks and barbed wire it seems the deer's mortality is more due to migraines than anything else.

BTW - this is the rated G version. I can guarantee there was no wasted meat with this one.

Do not worry Jo, there are people with worse luck than you when it comes to wires. I found an arrow with a mechanical broadhead stuck the middle of a telephone line once. Bad enough to miss a deer because of a wire, even worse to loose an arrow too.