Pnuemonia

Help Support CattleToday:

texanstraders

Reaction score
3 week old bull calf , treating for pneumonia.Noticed labored breathing (panting) ,checked temp, was 106 ,Thursday night. Gave him a round of Baytil, Nuflor,and Banamine from the vet that night. He's still moving around with momma, and nursing. But he's still breathing hard, especially after nursing...How long before I should expect some improvement? Should I let him rely on momma for nursing or give him an electrolyte as well? Vet said to get with him on monday, and maybe he will need another round...Any thoughts

I usually like to see considerable improvement within 24hrs, preferably 12. My first choice would be Draxxin, I would use Dexamethasone for 2 days then switch to banamine for a couple more. If he doesn't show signs of dehydration I would probably skip the electrolite, if he does then that's different. I would keep a close eye on the rest of the calves, Ive seen this type of thing rip through a herd before.

Larry

Doesn't appear de-hydrated. Early in the day he breathing wasn't as bad. It's been 100 degrees in the day and back to 76 at night. No rain for a few days. He was panting pretty bad tonight after he nursed.He drank a little from the water trough. Should I call the vet again tommorow or wait until monday?
I have one other calf in with him. I will watch her close. She is a week younger. Maybe I should move her?

texanstraders":gfcsuuuq said:
3 week old bull calf , treating for pneumonia.Noticed labored breathing (panting) ,checked temp, was 106 ,Thursday night. Gave him a round of Baytil, Nuflor,and Banamine from the vet that night. He's still moving around with momma, and nursing. But he's still breathing hard, especially after nursing...How long before I should expect some improvement? Should I let him rely on momma for nursing or give him an electrolyte as well? Vet said to get with him on monday, and maybe he will need another round...Any thoughts

Why would you give him Nuflor and Baytril at the same time? Did you give the single dose of Baytril or the multiple treatment dose? If the multiple treatment, did you follow up with another dose at the recommended time? If you're using the single dose of Baytril, you can't give it for again for 60 days without risking destroying the cartilage in his legs. It has been my experience that a single dose treatment will knock out pneumonia within 24 hours in most calves. In the very few cases that it doesn't, a follow up dose of penicillin within 24 to 48 hours usually does the trick. You might want to have a heart to heart with your vet, and do a little research so you're a little more up to date on how to treat respiratory disease, what is available, how to use, what dosages to give, and how often to give them.

Was single dose Baytril.
He looks great this AM. Breathing is normal, alert, scooting around the pasture. Is it possible that the afternoon heat coupled with his nursing is causing him the "panting" late in the day ? I'm assuming the lungs don't clear up overnight and it will take several days for him to clear that out ?
I will take his temp later when I feed...

texanstraders":3dvzfo4i said:
Was single dose Baytril.
He looks great this AM. Breathing is normal, alert, scooting around the pasture. Is it possible that the afternoon heat coupled with his nursing is causing him the "panting" late in the day ? I'm assuming the lungs don't clear up overnight and it will take several days for him to clear that out ?
I will take his temp later when I feed...

The heat is definately adding to the problem, but at 106 he was for sure sick.

Larry

Temp still up. 105. Panting again pretty bad. Its really hot and humid today.(100 degrees) Vet gave me more Banamine (enough for 3 more days) and a shot of Draxxin. Gave that to him around 2:30..He still had pretty good strength. Was pulling pretty hard on the halter while I was taking temp. Got my fingers crossed, but am prepared for the worst. Wish I had a cooler place to put him for a while.