pnuemonia

Help Support CattleToday:

wood2

Reaction score
10 month old calf breathing hard this morn, have her in with two steers to keep her away from mama, she's been in for two months think she has pnuemonia,gave her baytrol,lasix,steroid any other suggestions ? Live in MO have had crappy rainy weather and expect more! :???:

Talk to your vet. There are two drugs out there...Draxin and Excede. Both work for long acting 10-15 days on one shot. Add in the anti inflam. Try one of these two if 5 days of consistent treatment with what you are on does not work.

If the drug Batryl and your anti inflam work, continue for two weeks to knock the crap out of the bug so it does not return. Think like a human doctor. when you get sick they give you 10-14 days worth depending on the severity.
Don;t change drugs on a whim. give the one you are using a chance, say 5 days. If you change after one treatment, you are doing yourself and your yearling a diservice.

We always use Nuflor (Florfenicol) when we have a calf get pnuemonia. This is what our vet told us to use and we've had good luck with it.

I use Nuflor as well in combination with dex or banamine (usually banamine), but I have heard good things about draxin. Am glad to see you are moving hard and fast on it ~ that will be the key.

Good job! :tiphat:

:frowns: Calf died, I'm of the female gender and hate it when a calf dies esspecially one you have raised since birth,feel like Im doin something wrong, but I know that #@! happens. Don't have but a small herd and its a definite loss when you loose one.

Geeze ~ sorry! Been there/done that.

June 2006, after yet another died and I was afriad to go out to the barn, I said "no more bottle babies". Took me till now to get the fever. It does break your heart.

You do what you can do.

Latest posts