pneumonia

Help Support CattleToday:

dgott

Active member
Joined
Feb 8, 2009
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
I have had this calf 2 weeks she was sick when I bought her. The first week we gave her Batril x3 the second week Bananine x3 and last night her temp was 106 we gave her micotil. Today her temp is 103.6 I did see her eat hay and take a drink of water. I am also giving her probios, and resorb. As it turned out the boat was because she needed the probios. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
 

cowman30

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
289
Reaction score
0
Other than shooting her or taking her to the vet you have done just about everything you can. If micotil dont knock it out try draxxin and banamine together or draxxin and dexamethazone together.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
2
Location
MO Ozarks
I owuld keep the antibiotics going even after you're sure she's 100%, like a week or 2 longer. If it gets knocked down but not completely out, when it relapses it's even tougher to get rid of
 
OP
D

dgott

Active member
Joined
Feb 8, 2009
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
When I gave the Banamine I gave 2shots I am almost sure the other was draxxin so I did try them together. Tonight her temp is 104. I gave her 2asprin and resorb. She is still eating a little grain and hay. I was told not to give anymore Micotil for 3days or it will damage her liver. When would try draxxin and dexamethazone or would give more micotil?
 

angie1

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 21, 2006
Messages
4,179
Reaction score
0
Location
minnesota
dgott":p0dzn01u said:
When I gave the Banamine I gave 2shots I am almost sure the other was draxxin so I did try them together. Tonight her temp is 104. I gave her 2asprin and resorb. She is still eating a little grain and hay. I was told not to give anymore Micotil for 3days or it will damage her liver. When would try draxxin and dexamethazone or would give more micotil?
Yes, hold off on the Micotil ~ that is mean medicine for sure! It is nice to talk to someone who has pulled out their big guns right off the bat though so good for you there. Don't quit on the probios. Everyday your calf needs that. The antibiotics you are giving are also killing the good bacteria it needs in its belly to digest food ~ thats where the probios comes in. I give it every feeding ~ at the very least twice a day when I am medicating. You can't over do it.

You gave banamine 3 times already this week? I think that that is your limit on that. See how the asprin works for now.

Where's Larry? :???:

by dun on Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:52 pm
I owuld keep the antibiotics going even after you're sure she's 100%, like a week or 2 longer. If it gets knocked down but not completely out, when it relapses it's even tougher to get rid of
What dun says here is important. I know from experience. :(
 

SANDTRAP

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 8, 2009
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
dgott":15tc1mbn said:
When I gave the Banamine I gave 2shots I am almost sure the other was draxxin so I did try them together. Tonight her temp is 104. I gave her 2asprin and resorb. She is still eating a little grain and hay. I was told not to give anymore Micotil for 3days or it will damage her liver. When would try draxxin and dexamethazone or would give more micotil?


by milkmaid on Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:25 pm
Drug: Tilmicosin
Brand name: Micotil
Labeled uses: BRD
Dosage: 1.5mL/100lbs
Withdrawals: meat- 28 days
Warnings: fatal to humans – use caution when administering
Prescription drug only

BE VERY CAREFUL
 
OP
D

dgott

Active member
Joined
Feb 8, 2009
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Yes it was Wed Thur and Fri I gave the Banamine and draxxin. Yesterday the Micotil, thanks for telling me about the probios twice a day. I called 1-800 # they told me only once. I will give it twice now. Her temp is 104 tonight yesterday it was 106. If by some chance the micotil works how should I continue it for two weeks?
 

hillsdown

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
9,930
Reaction score
7
Location
Alberta, Canada
Here's my 2cents. I would switch to Nuflor and give Im 48 hours apart and then every 72 hours until temp becomes normal then do one last shot 48 hours later.
Talk to your vet about Predef or a Lasic drug for the lungs. I wouldn't use dex. at this stage.


Micotil is supposed to be a one shot deal if it doesn't work immediately switch.

Add vitamin B12 to her treatment as well it can be given up to three days in a row ,it promotes red blood cells.



Sorry just read your update sounds like her temp is reaching normal. Just keeping taking it and if it jumps again switch drugs.
 

angie1

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 21, 2006
Messages
4,179
Reaction score
0
Location
minnesota
hillsdown":2righpw9 said:
Add vitamin B12 to her treatment as well it can be given up to three days in a row ,it promotes red blood cells.
Oh yea, that too! :lol2: :tiphat:
I give a multi vitamin shot. I call it "the kick in the ass shot", but the B12 is important.

hd ~ you would start the nuflor now? I have used nuflor more than any of the others, and agree it is a good drug.
 

hillsdown

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
9,930
Reaction score
7
Location
Alberta, Canada
Give the B12 orally she has gotten enough needles already. You can also add A&D as well..

Angie if she was mine I wouldn't have tried micotil at all as I gave up on it at least 12 years ago.

I would hit her with the Nuflor tonight asap anyways ,it won't hurt as I have had my vet do it when the micotil stopped working for us and he gave that heifer a shot IM when her last shot of micotil was 12 hours before..She was up and moving around within a few hours, that is when I became the #1 fan of Nuflor. Until it stops working for me of course.. ;-)
 

larryshoat

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 23, 2007
Messages
3,475
Reaction score
0
Location
Ohio
dgott":1wke232a said:
Yes it was Wed Thur and Fri I gave the Banamine and draxxin. Yesterday the Micotil, thanks for telling me about the probios twice a day. I called 1-800 # they told me only once. I will give it twice now. Her temp is 104 tonight yesterday it was 106. If by some chance the micotil works how should I continue it for two weeks?

If I'm reading this right, you gave Draxin on Wed ( should be good for 8 days ) which would put us at Thurs this week and you gave Micotil on Sun, so that means we're on a full dose of Draxin and Micotil .

I think it reaches a point where we've tried eveything and I almost think you're there .As hillsdown and angie have suggested you still have Nuflor in your bag of tricks or maybe even A180, but even these may have been tried by a previous owner .Part of what I'm saying is that it's no accident that you ended up with this calf, the guy that sold it knew he was selling you a bad calf .

I'll tell you what I would do in this situation if my life depended on saving this calf . This is a calf with an immune system that is at nearly zero . We need to jump start his immune system and the best way I know to do this is with a shot of Bovi-Shield 5 Gold every 14 days until he is better or dead (2 doses min) . We need to get his temp under control, he's on 2 high powered antibiotics and still at 104 . We need to add something to broaden the spectrum of the antibiotics, something like SMZ-TMP or Spectinamycin or Lincomix . For 3 days I would use dexamethasone, not because I want too, but because we need some heavy duty relief from the symptoms .

Larry
 
OP
D

dgott

Active member
Joined
Feb 8, 2009
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
I gave her SMZ-TMP her temp is down a little 103.6. She is still eating a little feed, hay, water, and I am still giving resorb, nutri drench, sometimes 2asprin. Thanks for all your help! I appreciated your quick response.
 

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
11,966
Reaction score
597
Location
Central Upstate New York
Giving a VACCINE is a good idea. But, I use Nasalgen or TSV-2. Being intranasal seems to "kick-start" the immune system better - AND NO SHOTS!!!
I use this method all the time on our showstring. If they get "a little sick", we give the intranasal dose to let them fight it better on their own - we don't treat.
 
Top