Pneumonia in heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Hi, I have the chance to get a heifer calf, she has had pneumonia twice already and gotten over it, this is the third time she has had pneumonia and, I don't know what medication she has had in the past, but I was wondering if it was worth my time to mess with her? And I also wanted to know what you all do for pneumonia in calves, she is 8 months old, small and bony. I will be getting a veterinarian's thoughts on her tomorrow.

Hi, I have the chance to get a heifer calf, she has had pneumonia twice already and gotten over it, this is the third time she has had pneumonia and, I don't know what medication she has had in the past, but I was wondering if it was worth my time to mess with her? And I also wanted to know what you all do for pneumonia in calves, she is 8 months old, small and bony. I will be getting a veterinarian's thoughts on her tomorrow.
I would want to know why she keeps getting pneumonia, and why you have the "chance " to get her. She better be free, because if she's already that poor at 8 months, I wouldn't think you're going to improve her much in recovery. AND you'll have drug withdrawal times to monitor...

She is free. I have been reading about pneumonia and everything I have read says it's HIGHLY contagious, but she's in with 20 other calves, and None of them are sick..
So I'm wondering if it is something besides pneumonia? Ideas?

Yeah. She has probably never recovered from the initial bout with pneumonia.
I had one we doctored up. He never came out of it. Laid in the shade all the time. Waited for mama to come to him. He finally just died after all the trouble. Antibiotics didnt help him.

The previous comments are on the mark. In addition, she could be a BVD PI calf with diminished immune system. It is very risky to bring a calf like this into a group. This could spell disaster.

Latest posts