Pneumonia HELP

Help Support CattleToday:

Agboy

Reaction score
Ok its been awhile since I had a case off pneumonia. But I do now. A fall calf I bought came down with it 3 days after I bought it. Probably had it when it was young. I had the vet treat it yesterday. But to no avail seems to be worse today. Just curious what the usual course off treatment is. Does it get worse before it gets better. The calf is alert just the pneumonia. This steer weighs about 550 lbs. What would you do next? A quick response would be nice. I caught this pretty early but am just trying to learn a bit here. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

Baytril or Nuflor (antibiotic) along with Banamine (anti inflammatory). Should be improvement by next day. When paired with the Banamine, you should notice improvement within an hour or so (is like taking ibuprofin). What did your vet use? Good for you for treating it early, makes a big difference. What are symptoms? Temp up or down from yesterday? Eating and drinking?

edit
OK ~ I am the third to ask what your vet used......so, what did your vet use?

Didnt ask the vet. Steers is alert but breathing very difficult an foaming at the mouth. The meds are definitly not working.

Call and ask the vet. The phone call should be free. What about the rest?
Temp up or down from yesterday?

Before you can dose again, you really need to know what he used, and how he gave it. IM or SQ or in the ear.
We need that information before we can help you
Since you "HAVE" to call the vet to get that info, ask the vet for the next course of action since it is not working and let us know the reply!! This is a must.
not to nit pick but you should always know what is injected into your animals for withdrawal times

Will call the vet an go form there. Will check back with you guys. Thanks for the help.

You need to find out what meds were given, since it was only once I am thinking they gave exceed of nuflor sub..

We cannot advise meds until we know what your steer was given. The only thing you can give without contradiction is the anti inflammatory..If you have some do it now and I would give him a really good dose..Many good ones out there and although I hardly use it in theses cases I might even try Dexamethasone, it works fast and hard with lung/breathing issues.

What RR and Angie said.. :)

Good luck, and yes, please update us.

Well took the calf back to the vet for another round off shots. Live or die now. I just wonder if this calf had pneumonia when he was real young an never got over it. Most all my calves I buy have preconditioning shots but I just wonder if this bunch did. Im really surprised that the first vaccination didnt make it better instead off getting worse. He is really having a difficult time breathing an foaming at the mouth real bad. So do you guys think he will recover?. I will keep everyone posted. He gave a strong anti flammatory an much stronger antibiotic.

It depends what he used the first time..

Did you write down what he gave him this time and dosage ???

If you are going to have animals you need to record all dosages and dates of all meds given to your animals..It is best for withdrawal times as well as the only way you are going to learn.

As for your steer I have seen them better off than your s and and up dying and I have also seen them flat out necks extended and laying on their side and recovery completely with no after effects. Your steer could have had pneumonia as a calf and either it was treated too late or the full length of treatment was not followed through..

What is the proper course off treatment off pneumonia in calves any way. Im kind off rusty on this since this is the first case I have had. Hopefully the last.

Banaminean an Excede were the drugs the vet used in todays trip. Hopefully the cure

Good news so far just checked the calf an hour ago. It was resting quite comfortable an its breathing was much better. Looks like its doing its job. Thanks for the help guys will keep you posted.

Latest posts